Advice for Transferring to Another Law School Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: Advice for Transferring to Another Law School

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:14 pm

First off, 0Ls shouldn't be posting in this forum. To address your post though...

You have about a 10% chance of transferring from Kent to Northwestern, considering the cutoff for transferring is probably close to the top 10% of the class.

However, if you retake the LSAT and break 170, you can almost assuredly get into Northwestern, since first year admissions are based entirely on LSAT/GPA and Northwestern is known for its leniency with splitters. Why take the risk of going to Kent with the hope of transferring when you can guarantee your spot at the school you really want?

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:51 pm

If I am ranked 1 in my school with a 4.0, do you think I have a shot at transferring into any of the top schools, even though my school is really low rank (like below 100)? I have heard many people from my school transfer to Georgetown but haven't heard much else.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:37 pm

justgottabezen wrote:If I am ranked 1 in my school with a 4.0, do you think I have a shot at transferring into any of the top schools, even though my school is really low rank (like below 100)? I have heard many people from my school transfer to Georgetown but haven't heard much else.
Go for it! We had students who transferred from T3's at Berkeley, and they generally were rank number 1 or 2.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:38 pm

sup arrow :wink:

thx for the guides!!

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:45 am

Arrow wrote:
justgottabezen wrote:If I am ranked 1 in my school with a 4.0, do you think I have a shot at transferring into any of the top schools, even though my school is really low rank (like below 100)? I have heard many people from my school transfer to Georgetown but haven't heard much else.
Go for it! We had students who transferred from T3's at Berkeley, and they generally were rank number 1 or 2.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:11 pm

justgottabezen wrote:
Arrow wrote:

Update: for anyone who's still applying to transfer
I was accepted to Georgetown and Berkeley. Not accepted to Chicago or NYU.

bethanyrose09

New

Post by bethanyrose09 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:06 pm

Last edited by bethanyrose09 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable person

Bronze

Post by reasonable person » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:14 pm

Go to Chicago

randomstudent

Bronze

Post by randomstudent » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:28 pm

bethanyrose09 wrote:Ok I need advice. I've asked a few lawyers but they are uncertain. There prob isnt any answers, but I thought I'd try anyway.

I'm a rising 2L at Northwestern, considering transferring to UChicago.

Certain things to consider:

-I would like a federal appellate clerkship
-I will be leaving a half tuition scholarship at Northwestern (with the possibility of them increasing my scholarship once I show them my Chicago offer)
-I might want to be a professor one day
-I cannot write on at Chicago-- I already missed that deadline, but I made Northwestern's law review.
-I am the VP of two societies at NU and involved in other societies.
-I can be a research assistant to two leading constitutional law scholars and one professor agreed to supervise me in our law scholars program (for individuals that would like to work in academia)
-I am not attached to the NU community. A change of pace would be more than welcomed at Chicago. Though I can get housing easily at NU.

Thoughts? Are my clerkship opportunities better at NU or Chicago, given Chicago's higher rank and prestige and the fact that I made law review and have a decent GPA at NU?

Thanks!
That's a tough call, Bethany. For academia, see http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... o_top.html. For clerkships, are there any professors at NU or Chicago that you can talk to about clerkship prospects? A professor who is on the clerkship committee may be able to give you some insight on your chances of getting a federal appellate clerkship if you stay at NU (and keep your GPA and law review) or transfer to Chicago (but don't make law review).
Last edited by randomstudent on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bethanyrose09

New

Post by bethanyrose09 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Last edited by bethanyrose09 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bethanyrose09

New

Post by bethanyrose09 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Last edited by bethanyrose09 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:33 pm

bethanyrose09 wrote:Ok I need advice. I've asked a few lawyers but they are uncertain. There prob isnt any answers, but I thought I'd try anyway.

I'm a rising 2L at Northwestern, considering transferring to UChicago.

Certain things to consider:

-I would like a federal appellate clerkship
-I will be leaving a half tuition scholarship at Northwestern (with the possibility of them increasing my scholarship once I show them my Chicago offer)
-I might want to be a professor one day
-I cannot write on at Chicago-- I already missed that deadline, but I made Northwestern's law review.
-I am the VP of two societies at NU and involved in other societies.
-I can be a research assistant to two leading constitutional law scholars and one professor agreed to supervise me in our law scholars program (for individuals that would like to work in academia)
-I am not attached to the NU community. A change of pace would be more than welcomed at Chicago. Though I can get housing easily at NU.

Thoughts? Are my clerkship opportunities better at NU or Chicago, given Chicago's higher rank and prestige and the fact that I made law review and have a decent GPA at NU?

Thanks!
There is no benefit to this transfer. losing LR and your recs will make clerking more difficult. You probably won't be a law professor from either school (assuming you mean a tenured one and not a clinical prof) and transferring won't help you there either. You need to stay where you are, work connections with profs, and publish.

msilver27

New

Re: Bid List

Post by msilver27 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi all,

Seeking some feedback regarding my bid list. I'm transferring to CLS from a T2 (60-70). At my previous law school I was in the top 3%. I have work experience as a teacher (Teach for America program). Below is the list of firms in order 1-30. I welcome criticism. Unless otherwise noted all firms are NY.

Proskauer Rose
Shearman & Sterling
Sidley Austin
Paul Hastings
Debevoise
Kaye Scholer
hogan lovells
Clifford Chance
Milbank Tweed
Weil Gotshal
Willike
Schulte
Ropes and Gray
Cahill Gordon
Cleary
Paul, Weiss
DPW
K&L Gates
Cadwalader
Fried Frank
Kramer Levin
O'Melveny
Pillsbury
Dechert
Hughes Hubbard
Stroock & Stroock
Simpson
DLA Piper
Bryane Cave
Lowenstein Sandler, NJ

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:19 am

Srs q: can you get a fee waiver for transfer apps?

courtneyjaclyn

New

Post by courtneyjaclyn » Tue May 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Does anyone have experience with transferring from Whittier Law School? I would want to transfer to a school like Loyola or Pepperdine. Is it hard to finish top 25% of your class? What is the curve like? I am very determined/capable and dont want to waste another year. But I also realize I shouldnt bank on transferring. Any thoughts appreciated.. thanks!!

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Tue May 12, 2015 4:50 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:Srs q: can you get a fee waiver for transfer apps?
Sure.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue May 12, 2015 10:16 pm

courtneyjaclyn wrote:Does anyone have experience with transferring from Whittier Law School? I would want to transfer to a school like Loyola or Pepperdine. Is it hard to finish top 25% of your class? What is the curve like? I am very determined/capable and dont want to waste another year. But I also realize I shouldnt bank on transferring. Any thoughts appreciated.. thanks!!
It's horrible, this idea.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Post by SowhatsNU » Mon May 18, 2015 6:06 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
Sure.
How?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon May 18, 2015 10:27 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
Sure.
How?
I don't think you can.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Tue May 19, 2015 1:24 am

SowhatsNU wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
Sure.
How?
some T2 schools have been sending around unsolicited fee waivers, congratulating 1Ls on finishing the year and asking them to consider applying as a transfer.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:07 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:28 pm

IMO, it's always worth expressing your continued interest through relevant updates such as these (even if it's comping on).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dfg

New

Post by dfg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:45 pm

I got them at Mich and UVa (service waivers); pretty great

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:56 pm

A close friend of mine was one of the best 5 or 10 students in all of his sub-100 school and the best that could net was a t-20. He was rejected from the other NY schools so While going to any school hoping to transfer is a poor decision, it's possible that you're going into a race that you're disqualified from, from the get go even if you are 1. anyone familiar with the process with a semblance of empathy would not tell their worst enemy to go to a sub-100 school and be number one.

NINA

New

Post by NINA » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:24 am

Hi, Can anyone tell me what law school i could successfully transfer to? Thank you so much. ( Stats: TT(80-90) Top 19%) I want to transfer to Fordham. What are my chances?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”