Advice for Transferring to Another Law School Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CAsun83

New

Re: Advice for Transferring to Another Law School

Post by CAsun83 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Does anybody think Fordham is out of the question?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

CAsun83 wrote:Does anybody think Fordham is out of the question?
What rank school do you go to now? Also, it's pretty stupid to really think it's an option when you are bottom 40% dude. Sorry to be the realistic voice here, but if you were bottom 40% before, it's highly unlikely that you will get all A+s this semester.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 pm

What is your actual GPA right now and class rank?

CAsun83

New

Post by CAsun83 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:44 pm

ilovesf wrote:
What rank school do you go to now? Also, it's pretty stupid to really think it's an option when you are bottom 40% dude. Sorry to be the realistic voice here, but if you were bottom 40% before, it's highly unlikely that you will get all A+s this semester.

You are missing the point. My rank is not reflective of my true academic abilities, which I displayed this past semester by getting straight A's. My school hasn't released rankings yet but based on my estimation it will be between top 30-50%

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu May 03, 2012 5:47 pm

CAsun83 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

You are missing the point. My rank is not reflective of my true academic abilities, which I displayed this past semester by getting straight A's. My school hasn't released rankings yet but based on my estimation it will be between top 30-50%
You already got your grades back? Even if that is true, which I seriously doubt, top 30-50% won't be high enough. 30% could possibly be high enough if it is a lateral transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:09 pm

CAsun83 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I would love to know what school you go to that was already administered and graded finals by May 3rd.

CAsun83

New

Post by CAsun83 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Mce252 wrote:
CAsun83 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I would love to know what school you go to that was already administered and graded finals by May 3rd.
I bet you would

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:15 pm

CAsun83 wrote: I bet you would
So did you just flat out lie or did you take finals in early April?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu May 03, 2012 6:19 pm

CAsun83 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
CAsun83 wrote:
ilovesf wrote: What rank school do you go to now? Also, it's pretty stupid to really think it's an option when you are bottom 40% dude. Sorry to be the realistic voice here, but if you were bottom 40% before, it's highly unlikely that you will get all A+s this semester.

I bet you would
here's the bottom line: transferring requires grades and little else. if you got straight A's second semester, congrats. but if you're not in at LEAST the top 30%, even after your great second semester, your chances at a meaningful transfer are slim to none.

that's the truth, regardless of whether you want to hear that or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu May 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Whatever, I was trying to be helpful on the off chance this wasn't a flame, but it's clearly a flame. Let's move on.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:27 pm

ilovesf wrote:Whatever, I was trying to be helpful on the off chance this wasn't a flame, but it's clearly a flame. Let's move on.
I'm never sure. Some people are just obstinate. You're probably right.

CAsun83

New

Post by CAsun83 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Lasers wrote:
CAsun83 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
CAsun83 wrote: What rank school do you go to now? Also, it's pretty stupid to really think it's an option when you are bottom 40% dude. Sorry to be the realistic voice here, but if you were bottom 40% before, it's highly unlikely that you will get all A+s this semester.

here's the bottom line: transferring requires grades and little else. if you got straight A's second semester, congrats. but if you're not in at LEAST the top 30%, even after your great second semester, your chances at a meaningful transfer are slim to none.

that's the truth, regardless of whether you want to hear that or not.

Wow the truth huh? You should be my consigliere

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu May 03, 2012 7:02 pm

CAsun83 wrote: Wow the truth huh? You should be my consigliere
sometimes the truth hurts, don't it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu May 03, 2012 7:12 pm

CAsun83 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote: Top 40% is not even close to high enough for a meaningful transfer. And, as far as we can tell, URM status doesn't help you in transferring (there are a number of threads on this issue if you do a search).

You are missing the point. It's obvious that adcomms look for people who are academically distinguished. What I'm asking for is an unbiased, objective response as to whether demonstrating the academic worth to perform at the highest level by showing it in one semester, coupled with tremendous intangibles, whether it can offset a poor first semester? Remember, adcomms are looking for people who will represent their school well, which is why you always find people with exceptional numbers who complain about not getting into the schools they expected to get into based on the school's medians.
I answered your question. It doesn't matter how many soft factors you think you have. You can't transfer up when you're barely above median.

CAsun83

New

Post by CAsun83 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:21 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
CAsun83 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote: Top 40% is not even close to high enough for a meaningful transfer. And, as far as we can tell, URM status doesn't help you in transferring (there are a number of threads on this issue if you do a search).

You are missing the point. It's obvious that adcomms look for people who are academically distinguished. What I'm asking for is an unbiased, objective response as to whether demonstrating the academic worth to perform at the highest level by showing it in one semester, coupled with tremendous intangibles, whether it can offset a poor first semester? Remember, adcomms are looking for people who will represent their school well, which is why you always find people with exceptional numbers who complain about not getting into the schools they expected to get into based on the school's medians.
I answered your question. It doesn't matter how many soft factors you think you have. You can't transfer up when you're barely above median.
I will keep you posted.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Fri May 04, 2012 7:29 pm

CAsun83 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
CAsun83 wrote:

I will keep you posted.
Why? As a transfer, I'm telling you everything they said is correct and everything you think is a huge plus is, well, not...schools want consistency...drastic changes don't bode well for you cause they can't place you accurately.

CAsun83

New

Post by CAsun83 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm

CAsun83 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
CAsun83 wrote:

Why? As a transfer, I'm telling you everything they said is correct and everything you think is a huge plus is, well, not...schools want consistency...drastic changes don't bode well for you cause they can't place you accurately.
Consistency in what? The one criterion that you think is the end-all-be-all?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sat May 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Not-so Experienced Apparent Know-it-all wrote:
Very Wise, Experienced Transfer Student wrote:

:roll:
Just because you WANT me to be wrong, doesn't mean I am. But please, waste your money. To that effect, don't ask for advice on this forum unless you are willing to hear the truth.

CAsun83

New

Post by CAsun83 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:

Just because you WANT me to be wrong, doesn't mean I am. But please, waste your money. To that effect, don't ask for advice on this forum unless you are willing to hear the truth.
You don't know the truth, no one does. I was asking for unbiased thoughts from people who I was hoping would be able to support their comments with something original.

But please, waste your time. To that effect, don't offer me any of your assistance.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Didn't we already cover that you probably blatantly lied about already receiving grades for finals? You haven't even mentioned what your GPA and specific actual rank are right now. Nor have I seen any compelling softs that are going to transform your transfer admissions results.

If you want unbiased informtion, give people an accurate picture of where you stand and you'll get what you want.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sat May 05, 2012 7:10 pm

CAsun83 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

You don't know the truth, no one does. I was asking for unbiased thoughts from people who I was hoping would be able to support their comments with something original.

But please, waste your time. To that effect, don't offer me any of your assistance.
TIL, "unbiased" means "something I want to hear, but not necessarily the things that I don't want to hear - like the truth." You are looking for hope - false hope. You want it? Ok...you stand a great chance because schools barely look at 1L first semester grades. In fact, most of the time, the admin office actually takes a black sharpie and crosses out the first semester grades so that when the admin committee gets it, they can only see the good stuff on your application. Also, the sheer number of clubs and activities that you partake in will point-for-point make up for your lacking GPA. Sometimes, 2 activities equal an entire point on the GPA calculation in the eyes of those people. You get infinite points if you claim to have seen a unicorn in your lifetime. It's like an auto-admit. This is because schools want to be represented by uber awesome people and they don't actually care how well you perform in law school...because, you know, employment numbers don't affect the rankings of schools or their reputation. They like to make hipster moves like hiring those kinds of people. Also, law firm hiring is very similar to the above.

Congratulations on your future admission to I Dream of Genie law school *drops mic*

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat May 05, 2012 7:15 pm

I can't believe this guy is still going on with this idiotic rambling, looking for "unbiased" information (which must agree with what he wants to hear, or else it isn't unbiased), all the while failing to give an accurate picture of the softs he has that could somehow be so extenuating as to make schools entirely go against their typical transfer admission criteria.

Here is unbiased information: They look at your GPA, and anything else is a FAR second. Can anything else factor in slightly? Sure. But almost nothing will overcome an insufficient GPA. There is nothing biased about this, and its the same information numerous people have given you already

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
TIL, "unbiased" means "something I want to hear, but not necessarily the things that I don't want to hear - like the truth." You are looking for hope - false hope. You want it? Ok...you stand a great chance because schools barely look at 1L first semester grades. In fact, most of the time, the admin office actually takes a black sharpie and crosses out the first semester grades so that when the admin committee gets it, they can only see the good stuff on your application. Also, the sheer number of clubs and activities that you partake in will point-for-point make up for your lacking GPA. Sometimes, 2 activities equal an entire point on the GPA calculation in the eyes of those people. You get infinite points if you claim to have seen a unicorn in your lifetime. It's like an auto-admit. This is because schools want to be represented by uber awesome people and they don't actually care how well you perform in law school...because, you know, employment numbers don't affect the rankings of schools or their reputation. They like to make hipster moves like hiring those kinds of people. Also, law firm hiring is very similar to the above.

Congratulations on your future admission to I Dream of Genie law school *drops mic*
THANK YOU! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Mon May 07, 2012 2:48 am

Unbiased advice:

Law schools get enough transfer applicants where they can accept the students that got straight A's both semesters. These students' softs are good too.

I understand that you want these law schools to overlook your bad 1st semester, but this isn't undergrad admissions looking for an upward trend from your freshman year in high school when you get C's because the cute girl you had a locker next to rejected you. (and believe me, I had an upward trend in high school for exactly these types of reasons). Law schools want to know that you have a deep mastery of Contracts, Civ Pro, Criminal Law and LRW (eg 1st semester courses)...not just Con law, Property, Torts and Oral Advocacy (eg 2nd semester courses). They need to know you rock at all of these subjects.

It would be unfair for these law schools to accept you who clearly did TERRIBLY your first semester and deny the student at a similarly ranked law school who did NOT do terribly their first semester. Not only would it be unfair, but it would be taking a huge risk when they can reduce this risk with a better-performing applicant.

There are limited spots and people who did better than you who want them.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Regionality wrote:Unbiased advice:

Law schools get enough transfer applicants where they can accept the students that got straight A's both semesters. These students' softs are good too.

I understand that you want these law schools to overlook your bad 1st semester, but this isn't undergrad admissions looking for an upward trend from your freshman year in high school when you get C's because the cute girl you had a locker next to rejected you. (and believe me, I had an upward trend in high school for exactly these types of reasons).

There are limited spots and people who did better than you who want them.
I'm sorry about the girl rejecting you :cry:

Also, yeah, supply & demand is a bitch. IT JUST ISN'T FAIR!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”