Advice for Transferring to Another Law School Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jwbayou5

New

Re: Advice for Transferring to Another Law School

Post by jwbayou5 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:10 am

Last year Stanford had 12 transfers.

This yr SLS had 16 transfers.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Arrow-

Throwing this out there because I'm sure more of these questions are going to start coming up as the 1Ls get their grades in.

You need to fix your description of Chicago's Early Action program. It is, in fact, binding--importantly, last year, they expected you to immediately withdraw from a GULC ED acceptance, even though Chicago's offers are made contingent on "consistent performance." That may be unique among the schools that have early action programs, but it is important.

If you'd like, I can write something up about my thoughts regarding the process, now that I have some hindsight. There are definitely pros and cons both ways, but I would have to say that Chicago ED probably isn't the right move for the vast majority of people. (I'm still not convinced it was the right move even for me, and if ED Chicago is right for anyone, it is someone in my situation (no desire to be anywhere but Chicago as far as post-school career goes, really want to clerk, very interested in learning about law and econ, really wanted to stay close to my Wisconsin/Chicago family even during law school) because of what I gave up (a plausible shot at HYS).)

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 pm

You're totally right, how silly of me. Thanks for spotting it!

Your always welcome to add to the general knowledge, however you decide to share, your insight would be infinitely helpful.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 pm

I apologize, I have no data on that. You are also right, I do not think the yahoo groups have anything either.

At my old school, one of my professors told me of a student who really wanted to stay last year. She was in the top 5% but only got half a scholarship. The thing is, she REALLY REALLY wanted to stay. She showed the Dean her acceptance (I think to UCLA), and negotiated (or "acted like she was gonna transfer"), and they gave her a full scholarship! The professor also told me that if I wanted to stay, they would probably give me a full scholarship to stay as well.

My guess is that schools can give students more money to stay, but they know that some students will stay even without the scholarship money, so they do not go around handing out full rides to the entire top 10%. In the end, getting additional scholarship money is school specific, but I am sure you can do some awesome negotiating if you show them that HYS acceptance.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:32 pm

This is an incredibly good article. Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 am

Thanks for bumping this up. Again, Arrow's work and wisdom has come in very handy.

LuvTheWNBA

New

Post by LuvTheWNBA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:46 am

WUSTL no longer has transfer EA

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks for the update! It is now corrected.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:53 pm

is there a list of schools with particularly douchey or un-douchey policies towards outgoing transfers? I wouldn't advocate that as a major consideration in selecting a school, but it could certainly be a tiebreaker.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DeseoQueSea

New

Post by DeseoQueSea » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:18 pm

englawyer wrote:is there a list of schools with particularly douchey or un-douchey policies towards outgoing transfers? I wouldn't advocate that as a major consideration in selecting a school, but it could certainly be a tiebreaker.
What do you mean? Like not sending transcripts in a timely manner? I feel naive.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:42 pm

One of the Loyola schools famously forbids people who attempt to transfer from participating in OCI, even if the student doesn't transfer. There was a story on ATL about it; perhaps the school has changed its policy at this point.

Many schools will not allow potential transfers to participate in the Law Review write on process, or Moot Court tryouts. Enforced by a notation on your transcript that would raise C&F questions, I imagine.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 pm

DeseoQueSea wrote:
englawyer wrote:is there a list of schools with particularly douchey or un-douchey policies towards outgoing transfers? I wouldn't advocate that as a major consideration in selecting a school, but it could certainly be a tiebreaker.
What do you mean? Like not sending transcripts in a timely manner? I feel naive.
what i meant is that some schools may take aggressive steps to ensure their students do NOT transfer. IE tell the professors "no LOR", shut out from OCI, stuff like that. It would be good to have a list of the more egregious ones.

engineergirl

New

Post by engineergirl » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:49 am

I am in a 40s school currently and am in the top 15%. I want to move up to a school in the 20s. This school is in the same city and definitely has a way better program in the field of law I am interested in (IP). Any thoughts about my chances? I just really think the OCI at the new school would be more geared towards IP than my present school's OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:46 pm

As a GW 0L, this is probably jumping the gun but I did have two questions:

1.) Assuming one is in the top 5% at GW, is it possible to transfer to HYS? Seeing that GW is neither in the T14 nor in the same region as these schools?

2.) I know a lot of people do it, but is GW-->GULC really worth it, given that (as of 2011) they are probably only going to be 6-10 spots apart, when one considers the potential loss of opportunities during OCI?

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:59 pm

engineergirl wrote:I am in a 40s school currently and am in the top 15%. I want to move up to a school in the 20s. This school is in the same city and definitely has a way better program in the field of law I am interested in (IP). Any thoughts about my chances? I just really think the OCI at the new school would be more geared towards IP than my present school's OCI.
My guess is that top 15% is good enough for a move up of about 20 slots. Moving up for a better IP program is also very common and if the school is more IP focused, there will likely be more IP firms attending OCI as well. Go for it!
jk11287 wrote:As a GW 0L, this is probably jumping the gun but I did have two questions:

1.) Assuming one is in the top 5% at GW, is it possible to transfer to HYS? Seeing that GW is neither in the T14 nor in the same region as these schools?

2.) I know a lot of people do it, but is GW-->GULC really worth it, given that (as of 2011) they are probably only going to be 6-10 spots apart, when one considers the potential loss of opportunities during OCI?
1.) It is certainly possible, but top 2-3% would probably make it more likely. It does not really matter if you are in the T14 or in the same region as HYS, you just have to score really REALLY high.

2.) I personally do not think GW to GULC is worth it since it is not much of a difference. If you really want, you can, but you are going to need a really good reason to. GW is already a good school and a jump like that looks really prestige related. Overall, you will have great opportunities at GW so you should consider staying with the scholarship (that you'll receive possibly for 2L/3L year) + law review.
Last edited by Arrow on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Arrow wrote:
engineergirl wrote:I am in a 40s school currently and am in the top 15%. I want to move up to a school in the 20s. This school is in the same city and definitely has a way better program in the field of law I am interested in (IP). Any thoughts about my chances? I just really think the OCI at the new school would be more geared towards IP than my present school's OCI.
My guess is that top 15% is good enough for a move up of about 20 slots. Moving up for a better IP program is also very common and if the school is more IP focused, there will likely be more IP firms attending OCI as well. Go for it!
jk11287 wrote:As a GW 0L, this is probably jumping the gun but I did have two questions:

1.) It is certainly possible, but top 2-3% would probably make it more likely. It does not really matter if you are in the T14 or in the same region as HYS, you just have to score really REALLY high.

2.) I personally do not think GW to GULC is worth it since it is not much of a difference. If you really want, you can, but you are going to need a really good reason to. GW is already a good school and a jump like that looks really prestige related. Overall, you will have great opportunities at GW so you should consider staying with the scholarship + law review.
Yeah, due to a low GPA after LSDAS, I wasn't actually offered a scholarship, which is sort of why I figured that if I'm going to pay sticker at GW, I might as well try to get into a school with more prestige because its not like I'm forgoing any money.

Rayjay

New

Post by Rayjay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:36 am

Looks like I'm in the same situation at GW, which is now ranked 20.

Any idea how well I would have to do to make transferring to Penn or Columbia a reality?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rayjay

New

Post by Rayjay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:51 am

I am also curious as to how well one would have to do to transfer from Villanova to Penn or Columbia?

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Great info. Thank you!

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Rayjay wrote:Looks like I'm in the same situation at GW, which is now ranked 20.

Any idea how well I would have to do to make transferring to Penn or Columbia a reality?
My guess is that top 15% should be sufficient (maybe even top 20%), with top 10% being a lock for Penn. The requirements should be a bit higher for Columbia. I doubt the huge change in rankings will make how the T14 perceives GW, as they will likely look at them the same way they have in the past.
Rayjay wrote:I am also curious as to how well one would have to do to transfer from Villanova to Penn or Columbia?
My guess here is that top 10% should be good for Penn, with top 5% for Columbia.

Rayjay

New

Post by Rayjay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:07 am

Arrow wrote:
Rayjay wrote:Looks like I'm in the same situation at GW, which is now ranked 20.

My guess is that top 15% should be sufficient (maybe even top 20%), with top 10% being a lock for Penn. The requirements should be a bit higher for Columbia. I doubt the huge change in rankings will make how the T14 perceives GW, as they will likely look at them the same way they have in the past.
Rayjay wrote:I am also curious as to how well one would have to do to transfer from Villanova to Penn or Columbia?
My guess here is that top 10% should be good for Penn, with top 5% for Columbia.
So it doesn't sound like GW would make it any easier to transfer than Villanova?

I am currently trying to decide between a full ride at Nova and GW with a small amount of money...any advice?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TuNeCedeMalis

New

Post by TuNeCedeMalis » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I know someone who spoke to Dean Trujillo at UVA about transferring. Supposedly the dean said that they hadn't taken anyone who wasn't in the top 5% int he last few years (3 that he's been there?), and that they only take 15 people a year. Is there a way to square this with your info?

What chances do you think someone in the top 10% at a 30-40 ranked school has of UVA, Duke, or better?

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:24 am

TuNeCedeMalis wrote:I know someone who spoke to Dean Trujillo at UVA about transferring. Supposedly the dean said that they hadn't taken anyone who wasn't in the top 5% int he last few years (3 that he's been there?), and that they only take 15 people a year. Is there a way to square this with your info?

What chances do you think someone in the top 10% at a 30-40 ranked school has of UVA, Duke, or better?
I honestly have no idea. That information certainly is confusing, though from the Yahoo Database, I am sure there are more people who made it into UVA with different numbers.

Normally, someone in the top 10% at a T1 has great chances all throughout the T14. Perhaps times have changed, or perhaps only top 5% students went, or perhaps it is just more of a generalization. Either way, give it a shot as your chances should be great!

engineergirl

New

Post by engineergirl » Wed May 26, 2010 5:35 pm

So, I am at a 40s school and around top 30% (I was top 20% last semester but this semester hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped). I want to transfer to Fordham because of their IP program and the fact that my entire family and fiance live in the NY/NJ area. I am an engineering major (patent bar eligible) and wrote onto law review. I was wondering if this is a long shot and if it's even worth a try.... Fordham is the only transfer app I am planning on putting in.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Wed May 26, 2010 7:17 pm

engineergirl wrote:So, I am at a 40s school and around top 30% (I was top 20% last semester but this semester hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped). I want to transfer to Fordham because of their IP program and the fact that my entire family and fiance live in the NY/NJ area. I am an engineering major (patent bar eligible) and wrote onto law review. I was wondering if this is a long shot and if it's even worth a try.... Fordham is the only transfer app I am planning on putting in.
I would definitely give it a shot! It sounds like you are making a lateral transfer, and top 30% is generally enough. I would also mention in PS that Fordham is the only school you are applying to and emphasize the strong reasons for why you want to apply there and only there.

While I would not call top 30% a lock (top 20% would be safer), I do believe Fordham should take you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”