transfer to columbia/ nyu

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kiwislug

Re: transfer to columbia/ nyu

Postby kiwislug » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Pathfinder wrote:never made a claim about the difficulty, just pointed out that it has happened and that you dont need to be within the the t-14 as kiwislug suggested. Also, why do people think this is impossible? it's clearly not easy to get nearly all A+s in law school

I believe it is possible, I thought maybe people in the top of their class would want to transfer and this would cause competition among transfers... and because everyone would have about the same class rank they might need to look to school ranking to make a decision. But like I said I have no idea what actual transfer rates or stats are.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Yalie10 was pretty clearly not flame. He was a 3.98/159 from Brandeis who was pretty well-informed and conversant on a wide variety of political issues and who managed a 4.24 his first semester at GMU.

kiwislug

Postby kiwislug » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:14 pm

^ interesting

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:17 pm

There was also a widely-commented thread by xeoh85 last summer when he was waiting on transfer applications to HYS (he had been first in his class at UCLA). That's a great resource not just for pros and cons of transferring and for his particular experience but for a lot of information about doing well in law school your first year.

kiwislug

Postby kiwislug » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:23 pm

mallard wrote:There was also a widely-commented thread by xeoh85 last summer when he was waiting on transfer applications to HYS (he had been first in his class at UCLA). That's a great resource not just for pros and cons of transferring and for his particular experience but for a lot of information about doing well in law school your first year.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36635

Thanks Mallard

kiwislug

Postby kiwislug » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:27 pm

um OK so I just finished reading that thread and it is incredible. Mallard do you know if X ever posted his thread about law school essays? I wish there was more stuff like this on the boards.

h_frog_88

Postby h_frog_88 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:36 pm

I don't believe you are allowed to take the LSAT once you matriculate. As for transfering, according to many people here you are generally (if you are at a t20-30 school) just as likely to get the job you want as the top of your class (requirement to transfer) than if you transfer to a higher ranked school. The argument, I would assume, would not be so if you are looking for a more prestigous clerkship.

n4sir1999

Postby n4sir1999 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:57 pm

Last edited by n4sir1999 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 pm

kiwislug wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36635

um OK so I just finished reading that thread and it is incredible. Mallard do you know if X ever posted his thread about law school essays? I wish there was more stuff like this on the boards.

Yes, it's almost without a doubt the best single thread on the board. Except maybe for some of Maharaj's work in the Lounge.

I don't think he ever posted his thread on law school essays. That said, like he says, Getting to Maybe is really supposed to be the best resource for anybody taking law school exams. I am planning to take his advice and read through it over the summer and again once every semester.

kiwislug

Postby kiwislug » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:10 pm

mallard wrote:
kiwislug wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36635

Yes, it's almost without a doubt the best single thread on the board. Except maybe for some of Maharaj's work in the Lounge.

I don't think he ever posted his thread on law school essays. That said, like he says, Getting to Maybe is really supposed to be the best resource for anybody taking law school exams. I am planning to take his advice and read through it over the summer and again once every semester.

yeah for sure, I just ordered it online 5 mins after finishing the post :wink: . I was planning on getting a book like that but there are so many different ones [slaying the law school dragon; The complete law school companion" etc] I wasn't sure which one to buy.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:13 pm

law school confidential is pretty decent as well

n4sir1999

Postby n4sir1999 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:16 pm

kiwislug wrote:
mallard wrote:There was also a widely-commented thread by xeoh85 last summer when he was waiting on transfer applications to HYS (he had been first in his class at UCLA). That's a great resource not just for pros and cons of transferring and for his particular experience but for a lot of information about doing well in law school your first year.

Thanks Mallard

This thread got me thinking, at what rank does the "First in Class after 1L" card become not a given in regards to transfering to HYS? I mean UCLA (16) 1st in Class in at HYS, then we got GMU (38) 1st in class now at Yale... what about Tulane (44)? or FSU (55)? or Seton Hall (66)?

I know to be first in your class is a BIG deal, my question is how much weight does it carry down the ladder? If a rising 2L at Hofstra 1st in his/her class wanted to transfer to HYS, is it a given that they will be accepted?

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:20 pm

n4sir1999 wrote:This thread got me thinking, at what rank does the "First in Class after 1L" card become not a given in regards to transfering to HYS? I mean UCLA (16) 1st in Class in at HYS, then we got GMU (38) 1st in class now at Yale... what about Tulane (44)? or FSU (55)? or Seton Hall (66)?

I know to be first in your class is a BIG deal, my question is how much weight does it carry down the ladder? If a rising 2L at Hofstra 1st in his/her class wanted to transfer to HYS, is it a given that they will be accepted?

It's never a given. There are very few transfer spots and most of top 1-2% at basically every law school is probably trying to transfer up. As I understand it, however, both xeoh85 and yalie10 had everything except LSAT score going for them in their original package.

amyamy

Postby amyamy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:09 am

but columbia and nyu have far larger transfer classes, no?
I wonder what it takes for a BU 1L to transfer to these two ...
still top 10%?

silver11

Postby silver11 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 am

It could never be a given.

kiwislug

Postby kiwislug » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 am

silver11 wrote:It could never be a given.

yeah. though I'd guess someone from BU would look better than someone going to a school ranked in the 50's right?

silver11

Postby silver11 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:20 am

kiwislug wrote:

yeah. though I'd guess someone from BU would look better than someone going to a school ranked in the 50's right?

Of course

kiwislug

Postby kiwislug » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:22 am

silver11 wrote:
kiwislug wrote:

Of course

hm well then I agree w/ n4sir... where is the cutoff?

silver11

Postby silver11 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:23 am

kiwislug wrote:
silver11 wrote:
kiwislug wrote:

Of course

I would say top 5-7 percent.

n4sir1999

Postby n4sir1999 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:42 pm

I guess what I meant was a given "competitive transfer candidate"....

Where on the spectrum does 1st in class loose its edge in the eyes of HYS adcoms?

silver11

Postby silver11 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:46 pm

I would say top 25, because anyone who is top of their class in a sub 25 could have gone to a better school. 25 accounts for some of those people who wanted to stay close to home, couldn't leave home, or applied incredibly late.

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:08 pm

I was actually told that transfer is not as difficult as it seems, particularly if you were WL the first round which could be a soft factor.

BU, I guess top 15% will do to get to columbia/ NYU.
I was told that someone in the top 5% from a low T1 got into columbia/ cornell/ michigan as transfer.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:22 pm

doyleoil wrote:long answer: the only reason the lsat is helpful in the admissions process is as a predictor of 1L performance - once you actually HAVE a 1L performance, the predictor is no longer necessary

i hear harvard still cares about LSAT

lame

Joe Biden

Postby Joe Biden » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:27 pm

Pathfinder wrote:
kiwislug wrote:In the same vein, could a transfer retake the LSAT to better the odds? Or are they only concerned with 1L performance?

i think they are only concerned with 1l performance

I do not know about the specific schools in question, but a number of schools specifically state on their websites that if your numbers were not within the range of students they accept for 1L you will not be a successful transfer candidate.

Joe Biden

Postby Joe Biden » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:28 pm

kiwislug wrote:
silver11 wrote:
kiwislug wrote:

Of course

A number of schools state on their websites what percentage of your 1L class you need to be in, in order to be a competitive candidate.

Return to “Transfers”