transfer to columbia/ nyu Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cantaboot

Bronze

Re: transfer to columbia/ nyu

Post by cantaboot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:30 pm

duke says top 25%. but who would believe in that?
well, being top 25% is not easy either.
I wish I could transfer to duke, where I was WL, though. boston is not particularly appealing to me.

Carnival1860

New

Post by Carnival1860 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:44 pm

underdawg wrote:
doyleoil wrote:long answer: the only reason the lsat is helpful in the admissions process is as a predictor of 1L performance - once you actually HAVE a 1L performance, the predictor is no longer necessary
i hear harvard still cares about LSAT

lame
I heard Harvard hasnt taken in any transfer student with the original LSAT score lower than 163...but I assume most people who got into T25 at the first place had better LSAT than that.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:49 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:12 am

Is it really better to transfer into Harvard if you are already top 15 percent at your own school? Assuming it is top 14.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:01 am

NYU selected approximately 50 transfers last year. I am bumping to see if anyone has an understanding of the class rank required to transfer from a T-10 to NYU. My guess is that the top 25% should cut it ... how far am I off line?

IHaveDietMoxie

Bronze

Post by IHaveDietMoxie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:15 am

hang on, let me get my time machine so I can ask the people in this thread

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:34 am

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:hang on, let me get my time machine so I can ask the people in this thread
Many of the folks on this thread are still active. Furthermore, the thread was being bumped for the purpose of others to comment as well (I do appreciate your added bump though, as saracastic as it might be).

rbrown05

New

Post by rbrown05 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Last edited by rbrown05 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:06 pm

rbrown05 wrote:What if you were actually ACCEPTED into NYU originally, but chose to go to a top 20 school for financial reasons and would now like to transfer. How much does having already been accepted once outweigh being lower in your current 1L class (say, barely top 50%)?
Interesting. My presumption is that it matters very little. In terms of placement, firms will look at your 1L grades. Furthermore, barely being in the top 1/2 at a T20 is unlikely to lead to biglaw.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:18 pm

rbrown05 wrote:What if you were actually ACCEPTED into NYU originally, but chose to go to a top 20 school for financial reasons and would now like to transfer. How much does having already been accepted once outweigh being lower in your current 1L class (say, barely top 50%)?
This q wrt transfer: your ugpa/lsat did a horrible job of predicting your 1L performance. No transfer.

This q wrt jobs: It shows you either thought (1) you would kick ass at a T20 and save yourself the additional debt of NYU, about which you were half wrong; or (2) you would do poorly at either school, so you decided to at least save some money along the way, about which you were right. So, moderately decent judgment and self-awareness; but, unfortunately, median at a t20 won't even get the interview in which you would get the opportunity to defend your choice. XOXOHTH

[1L]Hopeful

New

Post by [1L]Hopeful » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Pathfinder wrote:
silver11 wrote:How do law firms treat transfers anyway?
well from what I've heard, when you have interviews as a 2L, you dont have any grades from your new institution, so the firms are forced to go off your old grades. Certainly, those grades are very strong, because they allowed you to transfer, but they aren't from the school they are recruiting from, which gives them pause.
but they are recruiting from the school they intended to recruit from.

:?:

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:48 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
IHaveDietMoxie wrote:hang on, let me get my time machine so I can ask the people in this thread
Many of the folks on this thread are still active. Furthermore, the thread was being bumped for the purpose of others to comment as well (I do appreciate your added bump though, as saracastic as it might be).
DEAD! THEY'RE ALL DEAD! CAN'T YOU SEE IT? THEY'RE GONE, GONE GONE! OPEN YOUR EYES, MAN!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Someone ought to find M51. He's a 2L at CLS, and he says it's not as hard to transfer up as people think it is. If I go find him now I know he'll get on my case, but he is extremely well informed, and thoughtful to boot. I'll step out of this thread before I cause trouble in it.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Kronk wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
DEAD! THEY'RE ALL DEAD! CAN'T YOU SEE IT? THEY'RE GONE, GONE GONE! OPEN YOUR EYES, MAN!
Congratulations ... you are 10 days late to the party! The purpose was to bump the thread more than anything. Now do you have anything substantive to add?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:15 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Kronk wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Congratulations ... you are 10 days late to the party! The purpose was to bump the thread more than anything. Now do you have anything substantive to add?
Did you somehow get that impression?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Kronk wrote:Did you somehow get that impression?
Given the 'tar, any such hope is futile.
Last edited by chadwick218 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:23 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Given the 'tar, any such hope futile.
To be fair I'd probably do the same with NYU or [strike]Columbia[/strike] but neither has any T's in their name except for university, and that one is pretty lame.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Kronk wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
To be fair I'd probably do the same with NYU or [strike]Columbia[/strike] but neither has any T's in their name except for university, and that one is pretty lame.
Understandable. On most days, I am a student at norTTThwestern. Hence, the desire to switch.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:30 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Kronk wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Understandable. On most days, I am a student at norTTThwestern. Hence, the desire to switch.

Can I have your spot at Northwestern? I'll give you my imaginary seat at CLS man.....that's a freaking steal of a bargain.

I wonder if I finished 1st at the end of the year if it'd be worth even a dollar to send an app. to CLS or NYU, I doubt it.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:58 pm

I think NYU and Columbia only wants to let people in that are assured biglaw. That usually means top 5-10%. Although being a T10 might help I'm not sure top 1/4 will cut it. They'll have tons of apps from T-30 that are top 5-10% that are assured to get biglaw jobs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:16 am

A'nold wrote:I wonder if I finished 1st at the end of the year if it'd be worth even a dollar to send an app. to CLS or NYU, I doubt it.
A'nold ... don't be so hard on yourself ... I think "yes."

Given your "finish," I would gladyl trade my seat at NU for your imaginery seat at CLS (just keep it up this semester)!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:19 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
A'nold wrote:I wonder if I finished 1st at the end of the year if it'd be worth even a dollar to send an app. to CLS or NYU, I doubt it.
A'nold ... don't be so hard on yourself ... I think "yes."

Given your "finish," I would gladyl trade my seat at NU for your imaginery seat at CLS (just keep it up this semester)!
Haha, thanks. I'd love to go to NU. There is kind of a family thing with the in-laws and Kellogg (sp?) so it'd be nice to share in that but w/ a law degree.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:25 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Someone ought to find M51. He's a 2L at CLS, and he says it's not as hard to transfer up as people think it is. If I go find him now I know he'll get on my case, but he is extremely well informed, and thoughtful to boot. I'll step out of this thread before I cause trouble in it.
I recall someone on TLS posting about how they got into CLS with top 20% from IU (and top 20% from IU is far from spectacular). I also recall that poster bitching about not being able to find a job out of OCI, which was not surprising ITE.

My thoughts on all this is that grades are really, really important in terms of transferring for adcomms, but that they look at a number of factors in addition to grades as they repeatedly tell prospective transfers. E.g. being #1 in your class at just about any school will at least give you some shot at HYS. But being at a t3 or t4 it’s going to take a lot more then being #1 in your class to transfer to HYS (such as publishing a law review article, winning a moot court competition that 1Ls are allowed to participate in, etc, etc.). Also, don’t underestimate that personal statement because it can be the dealbreaker for adcomms when they are forced to choose from 2 students that are around the same class rank from similar quality institutions (e.g. writing that you want to transfer to Yale because you want academia or that you want to transfer to Columbia because you want to clerk is a lot more powerful than simply pointing to the USNews rankings and just writing about something idiotic, such as how the transfer will improve your financial situation).

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:09 pm

I know when these two schools have app deadlines, but when do we begin the process? I think as of right now I have a shot but if my spring grades are shitty it won't be worth it. Do I have to start getting recommendations/dean's cert now or can I wait until after receiving grades? Even then it seems like I'll be cutting it close, but getting them in early doesn't matter, does it? What are other people doing?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”