Transfers in Corona Virus Wake

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
getmeout123

New

Transfers in Corona Virus Wake

Postby getmeout123 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:56 pm

So I go to a T10 school and I wanted to transfer due to geographic reasons. MY school just announced that second semester will be all Credit/No Credit in the wake of Corona (Harvard, Yale, and Stanford have all done this.)

Does anyone have any insight as to how this will impact the transfer process?

cavalier1138

Re: Transfers in Corona Virus Wake

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Since this has never happened before, I don't think there are going to be many helpful anecdotes. Best guess is that schools only consider your fall grades.

(Obligatory reminder that you're going to be just as miserable at your new school, especially if you're taking on more debt to go there.)

ryns61

New

Postby ryns61 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Would love to hear more forum feedback on this post... Thoughts on LSAT / undergrad GPA mattering more?

Pennoyer v. Meh

New

Postby Pennoyer v. Meh » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:27 pm

ryns61 wrote:Would love to hear more forum feedback on this post... Thoughts on LSAT / undergrad GPA mattering more?

They won't. The fall grades and recs will still be what matter.

Quil1947

New

Postby Quil1947 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:
ryns61 wrote:Would love to hear more forum feedback on this post... Thoughts on LSAT / undergrad GPA mattering more?

Thanks for your thoughts. What knowledge made you come to this decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

getmeout123

New

Postby getmeout123 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:28 pm

Columbia requires two recs. Thoughts on Contracts and Property or Contracts and Legal Writing?

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Quil1947 wrote:
Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:

No one has any specific knowledge into this. But I imagine their thinking was that since undergrad GPA/LSAT have never mattered in the transfer process before, it's highly unlikely they will start mattering now.

getmeout123 wrote:Columbia requires two recs. Thoughts on Contracts and Property or Contracts and Legal Writing?

Pick the professors that know you best and are most likely to write nice things about you.

For all panicking 1Ls: No one knows how this will affect transfers. It's natural to be anxious and uncertain, but I promise you that absolutely no one has any special insight into how law schools will handle transfers during a pandemic. This has never happened before.

Pennoyer v. Meh

New

Postby Pennoyer v. Meh » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Quil1947 wrote:
Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:

They haven't mattered before, and the reasons they haven't mattered haven't really changed. US News still won't care about those things for transfers, so why should the law schools?

Quil1947

New

Postby Quil1947 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:08 pm

Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:
Quil1947 wrote:
Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:

They haven't mattered before, and the reasons they haven't mattered haven't really changed. US News still won't care about those things for transfers, so why should the law schools?

Oops- I didn't mean LSAT/undergrad. Sorry I wasn't clear before! I was wondering what made you come to the decision that fall grades and recs will still be what matter. Because I am worried that one semester of good grades and one semester of Ps will not be weighted equally as other applicants who have two semesters of good grades. I'm also worried I won't be allowed to apply at all. I support mandatory P/F though because some students are disproportionately affected.
I recognize that this situation is unprecedented, thank you folks for any insight you offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Postby nixy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:22 pm

Schools that are themselves debating whether to make the semester mandatory P/F are not going to hold it against you if you have a semester of P/F grades (as long as you don’t fail anything of course). Profs will still be able to give assessments of your work even if you don’t get a letter grade for it.

Also I agree that the subject of your LOR writer doesn’t matter, whoever knows your work best and will speak more highly of it. There’s no secret code where the prof in one subject counts more than another.

rachelkim09

New

Postby rachelkim09 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:33 pm

I had the same question but there seems to be not many information or discussion out there. I guess it's because many schools are still debating what to do about the grading system this semester.

Our school only had advisory grades for the first semester, and I wanted to transfer which left me with no choice but to use my spring semester grades. If our school decides to do a mandatory P/F, I won't be having any grades for the first year so I have no clue what will happen to me.

I'm also worried about applying for jobs in the future without any grades in my first year. I know it's won't be easy for the school to decide one way or the other, but I'm just sitting here waiting for their decision because there is nothing I can do about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Transfers?