T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 341031
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:46 pm

(Anonymous because I haven't discussed transfer with anyone at my school.)

I started at my current institution with no intention of later transferring. However, I was pleasantly surprised by my fall semester grades. I high-scored 3 of my 4 classes, resulting in a 4.1 GPA. Rankings have not been released yet, but I imagine I am in the top 1-10% of my class. I attend a strong regional university (a T40) with a substantial scholarship. LSAT = 160; undergrad GPA = 3.3. Right now, I want to keep my options open as I explore different classes and discover my practice interests. Ideally, I would like to set myself up for a shot at a federal judicial clerkship or a BigLaw offer.

My initial impulse after receiving my grades was to stay put. I enjoy the "big fish, small pond" dynamic at my current school, and I have great relationships with my professors. I genuinely enjoy where I live, and my tuition, after scholarship, is very inexpensive. However, as I read more about the option of transferring, it dawned on me that my long-term career goals may be better served at a T14 school (this is the only tier I would consider transferring to).

I would be perfectly happy to live and work in my school's geographical region for the next 5 years or so (possibly longer), but I do value geographical flexibility (family is on the other coast). I am concerned that if I decide to move outside of this geographical region at some point down the line, my degree may not translate well.

Other concerns: (1) getting into a T14 school with my undergrad GPA and LSAT score; (2) giving up the big fish dynamic/dropping to the bottom of the pack at a new school; (3) losing valuable relationships with faculty at my current institution; (4) paying sticker at an expensive school.

I've been assured by faulty and staff at my institution that, provided I keep my grades up, there will be opportunities, admittedly limited and competitive, for me to land a federal judicial clerkship or a BigLaw position. Do you think that is realistic at a T40?

Does anyone have the experience of transferring from a similarly ranked school to a T14? If so, how was your performance at the new school? Do you feel that the transfer substantially benefited your career goals?

Finally, do you think I have a shot at YHS?

Any advice or feedback is welcome. Thank you!

raven1231

Bronze
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:48 am

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby raven1231 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:01 pm

1. Any school you would transfer to would not care what your LSAT and GPA are. They are meaningless to them now since they won't impact their ranking. With that means you will also pay sticker to attend any potential school you transfer to, something to definitely consider.

2. It is possible you drop rather significantly in ranking dependent on how motivated your peers are and given you all now know what to expect and how to improve. Thus, staying where you are currently is not at all certain.

3. You can make these relationships at any school. I would not really put too much weight on this.

4. This is a genuine concern, however, if you want to do big law and are set on a t14 definitely worth consideration.

decimalsanddollars

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby decimalsanddollars » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:12 pm

From looking at YSHCCN ABA 509 forms, I think the general trend is that Yale takes a small transfer class from T20 schools almost exclusively and Stanford varies, but is highly selective and generally takes a small class of transfers from t25 and West Coast t70 (usually one person from Hastings or Pepperdine). Harvard, NYU and Columbia take large classes; Chicago takes a moderate-sized class; and you're in play for all 4 schools. Your success in applying will depend on several factors, but the most important is keeping your grades up. As to whether it makes sense to leave a rank and scholarship on the table and pay sticker at YSHCCN, I think it does for clerking and biglaw, but less so for any other pursuit (except, say, federal govt work). As for lower t14s, I think it only makes sense to transfer if you want to be in that market OR you're set on transferring up and don't get into the top 6 schools. You're in a decent position now, and I'd hold steady and worry about grades. If you're still way up there, make a play for t6.

Anonymous User
Posts: 341031
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:39 pm

raven1231 wrote:1. Any school you would transfer to would not care what your LSAT and GPA are. They are meaningless to them now since they won't impact their ranking. With that means you will also pay sticker to attend any potential school you transfer to, something to definitely consider.

2. It is possible you drop rather significantly in ranking dependent on how motivated your peers are and given you all now know what to expect and how to improve. Thus, staying where you are currently is not at all certain.

3. You can make these relationships at any school. I would not really put too much weight on this.

4. This is a genuine concern, however, if you want to do big law and are set on a t14 definitely worth consideration.


Thank you for your advice! It's good to know that my LSAT and GPA are not really in play this time around. The point that I can forge relationships with faculty at a new school is an important reminder.

Anonymous User
Posts: 341031
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:46 pm

decimalsanddollars wrote:From looking at YSHCCN ABA 509 forms, I think the general trend is that Yale takes a small transfer class from T20 schools almost exclusively and Stanford varies, but is highly selective and generally takes a small class of transfers from t25 and West Coast t70 (usually one person from Hastings or Pepperdine). Harvard, NYU and Columbia take large classes; Chicago takes a moderate-sized class; and you're in play for all 4 schools. Your success in applying will depend on several factors, but the most important is keeping your grades up. As to whether it makes sense to leave a rank and scholarship on the table and pay sticker at YSHCCN, I think it does for clerking and biglaw, but less so for any other pursuit (except, say, federal govt work). As for lower t14s, I think it only makes sense to transfer if you want to be in that market OR you're set on transferring up and don't get into the top 6 schools. You're in a decent position now, and I'd hold steady and worry about grades. If you're still way up there, make a play for t6.


Thank you for your advice! Maintaining my grades is definitely my top concern. The pressure is really on now! (Any advice for how to handle that pressure is also welcome.) I agree with you that paying sticker and forgoing my rank and scholarship really only makes sense for a transfer to a T6. Increasing the likelihood of an opportunity to clerk or get a BigLaw offer would really be my #1 motivation for transferring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


<3waitlists

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby <3waitlists » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:34 pm

First of all, kudos for thinking about this in the right way.

As regards a BL gig, the main benefit of transferring is getting your resume in front of more firms than you would at your current school's OCI. Particularly so where the T6 OCIs will force firms to interview you through a lottery system. Bear in mind, however, that those firms will look at you and your grades as if you scored an interview at your old school, not your new T6. Also bear in mind that you'll pay sticker wherever you go, so (knowing nothing about your financial position) BL would probably be necessary to pay down that debt.

Another benefit of transferring, as you note, is having a much better shot at clerkships. There's a caveat, however, that your 2L transfer grades become even more important than your 1L grades because you'll be starting with a fresh GPA.

Can you get both a federal clerkship and biglaw at your current school? Definitely if you keep your current GPA (which may well put you in the top 5 people in your class). BUT those biglaw positions and federal clerkship opportunities may be more limited to the geographic area in which your strong regional sits.

Okay, chances. Probably near zero at Yale and Stanford. Maybe up to 50/50 for Harvard. Better than even for Columbia and Chicago. A lock all the way down (including NYU, Penn, and GULC). You have stronger chances where your school shares a geographic region with the transfer school.

Oh, the big-fish-small-pond thing. Definitely something to be said about that, but you've already shown yourself to be an excellent law student who "gets" law school. That aptitude is directly transferable no matter where you go, meaning that you'll definitely be above median anywhere so long as you keep working hard.

All-in-all, I agree that, given your clerkship goal, you should transfer to Harvard, Columbia, or Chicago, but that you might stick it out at your current school rather than going to GULC or Cornell. If you're set on transferring, submit EA apps to the schools that permit it and focus on keeping your grades up.

Congrats on your success so far!

nixy

Gold
Posts: 1883
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby nixy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:44 pm

<3waitlists wrote:Can you get both a federal clerkship and biglaw at your current school? Definitely if you keep your current GPA (which may well put you in the top 5 people in your class). BUT those biglaw positions and federal clerkship opportunities may be more limited to the geographic area in which your strong regional sits.

Agreed with this, but I think also that if you get a federal clerkship/biglaw in your current geographic area, you would have some mobility in 5 years or so. At that point, your experience clerking/biglawing will matter just as much (for many employers) as your degree. So it's more about when you'd want to move than not being able to at all.

That said, transferring to a truly national school will likely give you more mobility sooner.

Anonymous User
Posts: 341031
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:57 pm

<3waitlists wrote:First of all, kudos for thinking about this in the right way.

As regards a BL gig, the main benefit of transferring is getting your resume in front of more firms than you would at your current school's OCI. Particularly so where the T6 OCIs will force firms to interview you through a lottery system. Bear in mind, however, that those firms will look at you and your grades as if you scored an interview at your old school, not your new T6. Also bear in mind that you'll pay sticker wherever you go, so (knowing nothing about your financial position) BL would probably be necessary to pay down that debt.

Another benefit of transferring, as you note, is having a much better shot at clerkships. There's a caveat, however, that your 2L transfer grades become even more important than your 1L grades because you'll be starting with a fresh GPA.

Can you get both a federal clerkship and biglaw at your current school? Definitely if you keep your current GPA (which may well put you in the top 5 people in your class). BUT those biglaw positions and federal clerkship opportunities may be more limited to the geographic area in which your strong regional sits.

Okay, chances. Probably near zero at Yale and Stanford. Maybe up to 50/50 for Harvard. Better than even for Columbia and Chicago. A lock all the way down (including NYU, Penn, and GULC). You have stronger chances where your school shares a geographic region with the transfer school.

Oh, the big-fish-small-pond thing. Definitely something to be said about that, but you've already shown yourself to be an excellent law student who "gets" law school. That aptitude is directly transferable no matter where you go, meaning that you'll definitely be above median anywhere so long as you keep working hard.

All-in-all, I agree that, given your clerkship goal, you should transfer to Harvard, Columbia, or Chicago, but that you might stick it out at your current school rather than going to GULC or Cornell. If you're set on transferring, submit EA apps to the schools that permit it and focus on keeping your grades up.

Congrats on your success so far!


Thanks for your thorough response! Two points in particular were helpful:

1) "Bear in mind, however, that those firms will look at you and your grades as if you scored an interview at your old school, not your new T6."

2) "There's a caveat, however, that your 2L transfer grades become even more important than your 1L grades because you'll be starting with a fresh GPA."

It looks like Chicago and GULC are the only T14 with EA applications, but I will definitely look into those.

Pennoyer v. Meh

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby Pennoyer v. Meh » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:43 pm

I believe Duke also has a non-binding EA program (I remember being irritated last year that they did and I failed to check), so I would go school by school to double-check.

Also, to speak more broadly to your considerations: my profile was fairly similar to yours (T50 regional school, very strong grades/relationships, aspirations for BigLaw and clerkships), and I transferred to a T6 this year. OCI worked out, in the sense that I got an offer from a top-tier firm in the market I wanted (and would've never gotten had I stayed at my old school), but it was one of only two offers I got (and the other offer I received wasn't from OCI and was from a below-market firm). Meanwhile, I got absolutely slaughtered overall, despite having those strong grades at my prior school, having really stellar ties to my region, etc. The point of this is, while transferring may well increased your odds, you're a stronger candidate than I was, so it may not be worth it for you to transfer to a new school and take on the additional debt, starting over with grades, etc., especially since, as Nixy points out, getting a clerkship and good firm spot in your current area will provide you with mobility anyway in a few years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 341031
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 pm

Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:I believe Duke also has a non-binding EA program (I remember being irritated last year that they did and I failed to check), so I would go school by school to double-check.

Also, to speak more broadly to your considerations: my profile was fairly similar to yours (T50 regional school, very strong grades/relationships, aspirations for BigLaw and clerkships), and I transferred to a T6 this year. OCI worked out, in the sense that I got an offer from a top-tier firm in the market I wanted (and would've never gotten had I stayed at my old school), but it was one of only two offers I got (and the other offer I received wasn't from OCI and was from a below-market firm). Meanwhile, I got absolutely slaughtered overall, despite having those strong grades at my prior school, having really stellar ties to my region, etc. The point of this is, while transferring may well increased your odds, you're a stronger candidate than I was, so it may not be worth it for you to transfer to a new school and take on the additional debt, starting over with grades, etc., especially since, as Nixy points out, getting a clerkship and good firm spot in your current area will provide you with mobility anyway in a few years.


Thanks for sharing your experience!

What do you mean by "I got absolutely slaughtered overall?" At OCI specifically, or do you mean at your new school generally (that it was hard for you to keep up grades at your new school, form new relationships, etc)?

Pennoyer v. Meh

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Re: T40 to T14? 4.1 GPA. Transfer advice?

Postby Pennoyer v. Meh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience!

What do you mean by "I got absolutely slaughtered overall?" At OCI specifically, or do you mean at your new school generally (that it was hard for you to keep up grades at your new school, form new relationships, etc)?


OCI specifically; I think I got a couple callbacks out of ~35 screeners in my desired market, and 0 callbacks out of another ~10 or so screeners in other markets? And that only led to the one offer from a market-paying firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!




Return to “Transfers�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.