Advice? T30 URM, 2.98 GPA Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mike Carlil

New

Advice? T30 URM, 2.98 GPA

Post by Mike Carlil » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:26 am

Folks,

Let me begin by saying that this is 100% not flame.

I just finished my 1L year at a T30 and ended with a 2.98 gpa. I will be challenging at least one grade from the spring. I went to Vandy undergrad with a 3.3 and have 4 years WE in banking. This summer I’m doing at paid internship at the FTC in D.C. which I was able to secure by playing up my WE in the interviews. I’m also working for a professor as an RA, hence busy summer.

Do I have any shot whatsoever of trying to transfer somewhere better? My current school is not a good fit for me. Is it worth is to invest my time into even attempting to transfer?

Also, is there ANY way to transfer at another point in my law school career or is this summer my only option? Any responses (that are serious) would be greatly appreciated! Thank you soo much!

nixy

Gold

Re: Advice? T30 URM, 2.98 GPA

Post by nixy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 pm

This summer is your only shot at transferring (and you would need to get a move on as I believe some deadlines have passed). You can, as a 3L, spend a semester/year as a visiting student at another school - your degree will be from your original school but you can spend the year elsewhere, if you still hate your current school.

I will have to defer to others on your shot at transferring with that GPA but I suspect it will be an uphill battle. I don’t know if a lateral/downward transfer would be possible. (How much would your GPA change if your grade challenge is successful?)

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Mike Carlil wrote:Do I have any shot whatsoever of trying to transfer somewhere better? My current school is not a good fit for me. Is it worth is to invest my time into even attempting to transfer?
With a sub-3.0 1L GPA, I think transferring anywhere would be a major struggle. You'd probably only be able to transfer "down" the USNWR rankings - significantly down. I'd strongly recommend against doing that barring truly exceptional reasons. Far better to graduate with a T30 J.D. than a T100 J.D.

You say that your current school is "not a good fit" for you. What exactly in your opinion makes it a bad fit? Law schools are generally not pleasant places to be. (Many/most of) the students are stressed out, (many/most of) the professors are more interested in their research agenda than teaching. But starting in 2L you'll be able to pick your own classes according to your interests. You'll be able to focus on particular legal areas if you want (con law/human rights courses seem to be perennial favorites, but you could just as easily focus on any other legal area that catches your fancy), or focus on taking clinical courses, or small-group seminars. If you hate getting up early, you'll be able to design your schedule to eliminate 9 AM classes. If you hate having classes 4-5 days per week, you'll be able to design your schedule to cram all of your classes into 2-3 days.

If you dislike your 1L sectionmates, you'll all split up in 2L/3L. You'll meet oodles of other students and also folks transferring to your school.

Mike Carlil

New

Post by Mike Carlil » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:53 pm

What about applying to Vandy/Emory/ND to transfer? Are there ANY options that are open to me here, especially since I have solid WE and 1L summer jobs?

MSUN5

Bronze

Post by MSUN5 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:38 pm

Mike Carlil wrote:What about applying to Vandy/Emory/ND to transfer? Are there ANY options that are open to me here, especially since I have solid WE and 1L summer jobs?
Unless your school curves at a 2.7, almost certainly not. You could always give it a shot and see, but it’s likely just a waste of money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:51 pm

I don’t think transferring does much good for you. You need to do well at FTC internship and RA job and develop your network as much as possible. Honors at FTC may be your best shot at a good employment outcome.

That said, you still could kill some interviews at OCI via lottery and get offers. Alternatively, bring GPA up and get another good 2l internship and do well in 3L recruiting. With some hard work and luck, biglaw is still possible.

dye8919

New

Post by dye8919 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:30 pm

I transferred to Emory from another T1 school. When transferring, class rank matters more than GPA, although 2.98 likely falls below median at every T30 school. At Emory, they look for at least median grades from another T1 school. Higher class rank is required for lower ranked schools. I imagine the bar is the same, if not higher, for Vandy, ND, GWU, BU, WUSTL, etc.

What state are you a resident? Are you getting money at your current school? Transferring to your state flagship might be an option. One benefit of transferring schools is getting to "redo" your GPA at the new school. I went from median grades at my old school to graduating in the top 20% of my class at Emory.

Mike Carlil

New

Post by Mike Carlil » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:53 pm

dye8919 wrote:I transferred to Emory from another T1 school. When transferring, class rank matters more than GPA, although 2.98 likely falls below median at every T30 school. At Emory, they look for at least median grades from another T1 school. Higher class rank is required for lower ranked schools. I imagine the bar is the same, if not higher, for Vandy, ND, GWU, BU, WUSTL, etc.

What state are you a resident? Are you getting money at your current school? Transferring to your state flagship might be an option. One benefit of transferring schools is getting to "redo" your GPA at the new school. I went from median grades at my old school to graduating in the top 20% of my class at Emory.
I’m an NC resident.

What about the possiblity of withdrawing then reapplying?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Mike Carlil wrote:
dye8919 wrote:I transferred to Emory from another T1 school. When transferring, class rank matters more than GPA, although 2.98 likely falls below median at every T30 school. At Emory, they look for at least median grades from another T1 school. Higher class rank is required for lower ranked schools. I imagine the bar is the same, if not higher, for Vandy, ND, GWU, BU, WUSTL, etc.

I’m an NC resident.

What about the possiblity of withdrawing then reapplying?
Usually not possible if you have a full year of grades and no exceptional circumstances to justify starting over.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dye8919

New

Post by dye8919 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:42 am

UNC takes a few transfers each year. If you pull their 509 reports for the past 3 years (available here: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/D ... re509.aspx), you'll see they took 1 in 2018, 7 in 2017, and "between 5 and 12" in 2016. In 2016, the median 1L GPA was 3.01, close to what you have. It may be worth applying to them with a compelling personal statement that lays out specific reasons for wanting to transfer. Best of luck!

Mike Carlil

New

Post by Mike Carlil » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:58 am

dye8919 wrote:UNC takes a few transfers each year. If you pull their 509 reports for the past 3 years (available here: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/D ... re509.aspx), you'll see they took 1 in 2018, 7 in 2017, and "between 5 and 12" in 2016. In 2016, the median 1L GPA was 3.01, close to what you have. It may be worth applying to them with a compelling personal statement that lays out specific reasons for wanting to transfer. Best of luck!

Emory has a deadine of August 1st. 25% 1L transfer gpa is 3.0.. close to what I have. Worth a shot to transfer? I might actually throw up a transfer app.

dye8919

New

Post by dye8919 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:45 pm

If I were you and I were intent on transferring, I would apply to at least UNC, Emory, and GWU. UNC because you have hometown advantage and your GPA is about median. Emory and GWU because they have large transfer classes (50 for Emory, 100 for GWU) and you never know what's not reported below 25%. A word of caution though. As a rule of thumb, per Carol Riddock in admissions, Emory requires at least median GPA at your old school. The 3.0 you're seeing is likely people from T3-T4 schools, where the median GPA is around 2.5 and 3.0 places them near the top of the class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”