Columbia Transfer 2019

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:31 pm

It seemed like it was about that time. I mean, what else are we supposed to do at our summer internships?

School Rank: 30’s
GPA: 3.86
Class Rank: Top 5% (This is the highest rank my school gives. I think I’m actually top 3%.)

2018 thread:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=288657&p=10318802&hilit=Columbia#p10318802

Subplot:
App tracker still shows me as “incomplete,” with transcripts and dean’s cert missing, although my law records office claims they’ve both been sent. Past threads seem to indicate this is more or less a right of passage for Columbia transfer aspirants.

ohladcsc

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby ohladcsc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm

School Rank: 40-50
GPA: 3.93
Rank: Top 3%

Same with the incomplete on both my transcript and certifications.

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm

ohladcsc wrote:School Rank: 40-50
GPA: 3.93
Rank: Top 3%

Same with the incomplete on both my transcript and certifications.


I think we’re both in p good shape numbers wise, no? Apply anywhere else?

atr235

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 am

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby atr235 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 pm

School rank: 20s
GPA: 3.92

Same with “incomplete”

ohladcsc

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby ohladcsc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 pm

MSUN5 wrote:
ohladcsc wrote:School Rank: 40-50
GPA: 3.93
Rank: Top 3%

Same with the incomplete on both my transcript and certifications.


I think we’re both in p good shape numbers wise, no? Apply anywhere else?


I hope so! I think the numbers can be deceiving so I try not to rely on them too much - which is why I find these threads much more helpful!
And yes, I did! Harvard, NYU, Chicago, Michigan, Northwestern, Berkeley. What about you?

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:54 am

ohladcsc wrote:
MSUN5 wrote:
ohladcsc wrote:School Rank: 40-50
GPA: 3.93
Rank: Top 3%

Same with the incomplete on both my transcript and certifications.


I think we’re both in p good shape numbers wise, no? Apply anywhere else?


I hope so! I think the numbers can be deceiving so I try not to rely on them too much - which is why I find these threads much more helpful!
And yes, I did! Harvard, NYU, Chicago, Michigan, Northwestern, Berkeley. What about you?


Dang, you've applied all over the place! No geographic preference, I guess? I have sub-zero interest in ever really leaving the general Acela Corridor -- something I realized this past year attending a school down south -- so I just applied to GULC (got in EA), NYU, Penn, Harvard, and Columbia.

I'll tell you what though, friend-o: this wait is awful. I just want to know what city I'm living in next year.

ohladcsc

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby ohladcsc » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:27 pm

MSUN5 wrote:
ohladcsc wrote:
MSUN5 wrote:
ohladcsc wrote:School Rank: 40-50
GPA: 3.93
Rank: Top 3%

Same with the incomplete on both my transcript and certifications.


I think we’re both in p good shape numbers wise, no? Apply anywhere else?


I hope so! I think the numbers can be deceiving so I try not to rely on them too much - which is why I find these threads much more helpful!
And yes, I did! Harvard, NYU, Chicago, Michigan, Northwestern, Berkeley. What about you?


Dang, you've applied all over the place! No geographic preference, I guess? I have sub-zero interest in ever really leaving the general Acela Corridor -- something I realized this past year attending a school down south -- so I just applied to GULC (got in EA), NYU, Penn, Harvard, and Columbia.

I'll tell you what though, friend-o: this wait is awful. I just want to know what city I'm living in next year.


No preference really! I'm also in the South, but from the Midwest so I have some ties to a few areas, but I really don't care where I end up, more what I end up doing! I agree about the wait - I gotta know by early July so I can start making plans for next year!

amabe

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby amabe » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Checking in for the long wait...

School Rank: 60-80
Rank: Top 1%
GPA: 3.97

Everything went complete June 9

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

App went complete today, 6/17.

amabe

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby amabe » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:41 pm

amabe wrote:Checking in for the long wait...

School Rank: 60-80
Rank: Top 1%
GPA: 3.97

Everything went complete June 9


Turned out the wait wasn't so long. Accepted today at 3:28 p.m.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2561
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby QContinuum » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:53 pm

amabe wrote:Turned out the wait wasn't so long. Accepted today at 3:28 p.m.

Congrats!! Thrilled for you and thanks for updating the thread. :)

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:09 pm

amabe wrote:
amabe wrote:Checking in for the long wait...

School Rank: 60-80
Rank: Top 1%
GPA: 3.97

Everything went complete June 9


Turned out the wait wasn't so long. Accepted today at 3:28 p.m.


Congratulations!!!

Robert Vaco

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby Robert Vaco » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 pm

I transferred to Columbia last year. Word of advice is DO NOT TRUST THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. Whenever I called about some document showing incomplete on my application, I was told not to worry and it was just a glitch. I got increasingly suspicious into July and finally got someone that knew what they were talking about to tell me that it was not a glitch and they really had not seen some document they needed from an undergrad I attended. Also they told me they would not even look at my application without that document. I finally got it to them by mid July and was accepted the next day.

By the way, I transferred from a t20 and was in the top 15%.

bonnechance

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby bonnechance » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Robert Vaco wrote:I transferred to Columbia last year. Word of advice is DO NOT TRUST THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. Whenever I called about some document showing incomplete on my application, I was told not to worry and it was just a glitch. I got increasingly suspicious into July and finally got someone that knew what they were talking about to tell me that it was not a glitch and they really had not seen some document they needed from an undergrad I attended. Also they told me they would not even look at my application without that document. I finally got it to them by mid July and was accepted the next day.

By the way, I transferred from a t20 and was in the top 15%.



Thanks for the advice! I got an email saying that my application is complete and will be forwarded for review. But in the status checker, some of the boxes are still unchecked (transcript & Dean's cert). Is that what you are saying re glitch?

ohladcsc

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby ohladcsc » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:27 pm

Robert Vaco wrote:I transferred to Columbia last year. Word of advice is DO NOT TRUST THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. Whenever I called about some document showing incomplete on my application, I was told not to worry and it was just a glitch. I got increasingly suspicious into July and finally got someone that knew what they were talking about to tell me that it was not a glitch and they really had not seen some document they needed from an undergrad I attended. Also they told me they would not even look at my application without that document. I finally got it to them by mid July and was accepted the next day.

By the way, I transferred from a t20 and was in the top 15%.


Can you speak to your experience from transferring? Positive/neutral/negative? Definitely interested to hear how the transfer class fared at OCI, and how the rigor/competition is compared to your previous school? I’m sure it’s a fear for all of us to transfer to a new environment and suddenly find ourselves at or just above median. Thanks in advance!!

CommonLawTort

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby CommonLawTort » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 am

ohladcsc wrote:
Robert Vaco wrote:I transferred to Columbia last year. Word of advice is DO NOT TRUST THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. Whenever I called about some document showing incomplete on my application, I was told not to worry and it was just a glitch. I got increasingly suspicious into July and finally got someone that knew what they were talking about to tell me that it was not a glitch and they really had not seen some document they needed from an undergrad I attended. Also they told me they would not even look at my application without that document. I finally got it to them by mid July and was accepted the next day.

By the way, I transferred from a t20 and was in the top 15%.


Can you speak to your experience from transferring? Positive/neutral/negative? Definitely interested to hear how the transfer class fared at OCI, and how the rigor/competition is compared to your previous school? I’m sure it’s a fear for all of us to transfer to a new environment and suddenly find ourselves at or just above median. Thanks in advance!!


I've said this once in another CCN transfer thread, and I guess I'll now out myself as CLS transfer alum.

CLS is a huge school, and if you have bare minimum social skills you'll likely end up with a few friends be it your fellow transfers or some 'native' students. This being said, don't be surprised if you find students (including other transfers) to be condescending people and very overt about being so. At my 1L school, when we made small talk, we discussed what our hobbies were, our dating life, vacation plans ...; at CLS small talk is about your resume. To some (and maybe you) that's normal and professional, to me I found I was always being judged by my peers and this put pressure on me to perform. If it was any consolation, my classmates didn't look down on me for raising my hand in class. In fact, I found it was a good way of meeting new people. As a transfer, its easy to go under the fray if you don't put yourself out there (but you can also do this by joining clubs, journals ....)

By the time 2L starts, almost everyone who wants to work in private practice has a job lined up (i.e. 80% of the class) so people generally do trade notes/outlines and aren't out there to screw you into making the curve work in their favor. You'll find a handful of gunners who raise their hand in class, but your non T--14 1L school probably had more of those. This being said, CLS students love to brag about how little they work and still do well. If you get median pawned in a class, your seat mate may very well let you know when the grades are revealed how he/she seldom studied and STILL did better than you. I found that oft-putting.

In terms of rigor, there was a huge discrepancy between the easier classes (usually seminars) and the difficult classes. Some classes I found were easier than a college sophomore class, whereas others were freaking difficult. If you've landed a biglaw SA and have no plans on clerking, you can construct your schedule to give yourself a very chill two years. Conversely, if you want an intellectual challenge, you can construct your schedule to give you an excellent run for your money. Feel free to DM me for course advice. FWIW, I would say I took a mix of 'easy' and 'hard' classes and finished around median.

Ms. Owl

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:34 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby Ms. Owl » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:31 pm

URGENT QUESTION:
On the application checklist, there is a form for "Faculty Appraisal." Is that a doc we also need to turn in if we already had LORs sent via LSAC?

THANK YOU GUYS!

janereacher

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby janereacher » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 am

Ms. Owl wrote:URGENT QUESTION:
On the application checklist, there is a form for "Faculty Appraisal." Is that a doc we also need to turn in if we already had LORs sent via LSAC?

THANK YOU GUYS!


No, it's an alternative to submitting a LOR through LSAC.

User avatar
gennyJD96

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby gennyJD96 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Any movement for anyone else today? How were admits notified?

amabe

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby amabe » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:08 pm

gennyJD96 wrote:Any movement for anyone else today? How were admits notified?


I found out by email. The deadline to accept is July 2nd for this so it seems to be rolling admissions. Conveniently right before HYS release their transfer decisions.

User avatar
gennyJD96

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby gennyJD96 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:16 pm

Has anyone other than amabe heard anything?

User avatar
gennyJD96

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby gennyJD96 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:17 pm

amabe wrote:
gennyJD96 wrote:Any movement for anyone else today? How were admits notified?


I found out by email. The deadline to accept is July 2nd for this so it seems to be rolling admissions. Conveniently right before HYS release their transfer decisions.

Also, congrats amabe!

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Nothing on my end.

amabe

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby amabe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm

gennyJD96 wrote:
amabe wrote:
gennyJD96 wrote:Any movement for anyone else today? How were admits notified?


I found out by email. The deadline to accept is July 2nd for this so it seems to be rolling admissions. Conveniently right before HYS release their transfer decisions.

Also, congrats amabe!


Thank you!

ohladcsc

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Columbia Transfer 2019

Postby ohladcsc » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Also in today via email



Return to “Transfers?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.