GULC EA/RD Transfer 2019 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
QContinuum

Re: GULC EA/RD Transfer 2019

Post by QContinuum » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:53 pm

clocktower wrote:Currently go to GULC and transferred here. Wanted to check in and just let you all know that coming to GULC as a transfer was a colossal mistake and if I could go back in time I would have either gone to any other school I was accepted to or would not have transferred at all. Happy to answer questions via dm to avoid potentially outing myself here.

Seriously, please think twice about your motivation to go through with this. Many of you have good enough grades at good enough schools to get the same outcome you would get out of GULC for far less money and far less stress.
Many thanks for checking in and offering to share your experience with other potential transferees. I'm sure our 1Ls in that position will take full advantage of this opportunity.

A bit of general advice to other readers of this thread: Whether a transfer to Georgetown (or any other school) makes sense turns on a few key factors: Amount of merit aid at 1L school; rankings of 1L school and target transfer school; the student's goals; and what other target schools are in the mix.

For example, someone attending, say, American at sticker who ends up rocking 1L may very well find it worthwhile to transfer to Georgetown. But someone attending, say, GWU on a substantial scholarship who ends up rocking 1L may very well be ill-served transferring to Georgetown.

So, without disputing or rationalizing clocktower's experience at all, I just want to clarify that transferring to Georgetown is not always going to be unwise. Whether it's a good idea will vary dramatically depending on each candidate's circumstances.

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:07 pm

QContinuum wrote:
For example, someone attending, say, American at sticker who ends up rocking 1L may very well find it worthwhile to transfer to Georgetown. But someone attending, say, GWU on a substantial scholarship who ends up rocking 1L may very well be ill-served transferring to Georgetown.
Whether it's a good idea will vary dramatically depending on each candidate's circumstances.
Really great point. I imagine that most of us are somewhere between these two circumstances - that is, lots of scholarship money at a place like AU or perhaps no scholarship at a place like GWU which makes the decision much more dependent on personal circumstances. I've gone ahead and private messaged clocktower to take advantage of picking his/her brain and see what life is like as a transfer. I don't want to lay out too many personal details on this forum since I don't think we can delete past posts.

clocktower

New

Post by clocktower » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:24 pm

QContinuum wrote:
clocktower wrote:Currently go to GULC and transferred here. Wanted to check in and just let you all know that coming to GULC as a transfer was a colossal mistake and if I could go back in time I would have either gone to any other school I was accepted to or would not have transferred at all. Happy to answer questions via dm to avoid potentially outing myself here.

Seriously, please think twice about your motivation to go through with this. Many of you have good enough grades at good enough schools to get the same outcome you would get out of GULC for far less money and far less stress.
Many thanks for checking in and offering to share your experience with other potential transferees. I'm sure our 1Ls in that position will take full advantage of this opportunity.

A bit of general advice to other readers of this thread: Whether a transfer to Georgetown (or any other school) makes sense turns on a few key factors: Amount of merit aid at 1L school; rankings of 1L school and target transfer school; the student's goals; and what other target schools are in the mix.

So, without disputing or rationalizing clocktower's experience at all, I just want to clarify that transferring to Georgetown is not always going to be unwise. Whether it's a good idea will vary dramatically depending on each candidate's circumstances.
Absolutely agree with all of this. I just chimed in because I never really thought hard about the risks in transferring because I thought going T50 (non full ride scholly) -T14 was always a good move, and I just don't think it is.

clocktower

New

Post by clocktower » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:29 pm

tls_toddy wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Whether it's a good idea will vary dramatically depending on each candidate's circumstances.
Really great point. I imagine that most of us are somewhere between these two circumstances - that is, lots of scholarship money at a place like AU or perhaps no scholarship at a place like GWU which makes the decision much more dependent on personal circumstances. I've gone ahead and private messaged clocktower to take advantage of picking his/her brain and see what life is like as a transfer. I don't want to lay out too many personal details on this forum since I don't think we can delete past posts.
Received your pm, have no idea how to send a message on TLS, so will figure that out and get back to you

hdshap

New

Post by hdshap » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:49 pm

For some reason I can't message you on this thing. Is there any way you could email me?? I am really really interested in learning more from you. hdshap@gmail.com

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hdshap

New

Post by hdshap » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:53 pm

tls_toddy wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Right...Great scholarship at T4, top of my class or no money at GULC/unknown

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:19 pm

FYI, new users are not able to send (or reply to) PMs until they've made at least 5 posts. However, new users can receive PMs right off the bat, even before they hit 5 posts.

duke1932452

New

Post by duke1932452 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:51 pm

Any letters? I was deferred. How many people are usually deferred?

<3waitlists

New

Post by <3waitlists » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:51 am

also transferred to GULC and I view it as a good––but risky––decision. as others have said, it's a good idea for some and not for others. pm me if you want

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clocktower

New

Post by clocktower » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 am

QContinuum wrote:FYI, new users are not able to send (or reply to) PMs until they've made at least 5 posts. However, new users can receive PMs right off the bat, even before they hit 5 posts.
Thank you for the heads up about this. I never knew this was the case.

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Has anyone received an acceptance yet? Admissions told me I'd have my decision in the 1-2 weeks which naturally makes me nervous given past patterns of communication. I did not receive a deferral email. Also I'm in finals hell.

MSUN5

Bronze

Post by MSUN5 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Transfer2021 wrote:Has anyone received an acceptance yet? Admissions told me I'd have my decision in the 1-2 weeks which naturally makes me nervous given past patterns of communication. I did not receive a deferral email. Also I'm in finals hell.
We’re all still waiting. Which is a bit annoying because I have write-on for my current Uni and I kinda sorta would like to know if I should be working on this right now. Haha.

When did you speak with them? I think I’m gonna call today.

Also: good luck with finals!

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm

MSUN5 wrote:
Transfer2021 wrote:Has anyone received an acceptance yet? Admissions told me I'd have my decision in the 1-2 weeks which naturally makes me nervous given past patterns of communication. I did not receive a deferral email. Also I'm in finals hell.
We’re all still waiting. Which is a bit annoying because I have write-on for my current Uni and I kinda sorta would like to know if I should be working on this right now. Haha.

When did you speak with them? I think I’m gonna call today.

Also: good luck with finals!
Yeah I woke up today feeling pretty hopeful but alas my informed delivery was completely empty. I wonder why they would defer people but still not know who they are accepting or rejecting. Perhaps a second deferral wave is coming. Maybe they are still unsure as to how many spots they have?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nonnie16

New

Post by nonnie16 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Ugh this is frustrating. Why in the world would they send deferrals on Friday if they weren't ready?? I just hope whenever decisions do actually come out they send emails instead of letters. People need to know ASAP at this point.

frobscottle

New

Post by frobscottle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Never thought I'd say this, but I feel finals are getting me through this anxiety - far less time to worry about GULC/transfer with property and statutory interpretation remaining! I'd really love to get an acceptance this week though...in theory, it should be, right? Since deferrals are out...

Also, random thought, maybe all the letters are being printed and mailed out today...just a guess.

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:51 pm

nonnie16 wrote:Ugh this is frustrating. Why in the world would they send deferrals on Friday if they weren't ready?? I just hope whenever decisions do actually come out they send emails instead of letters. People need to know ASAP at this point.
Last year, letters went out on the 30th. The year before, some people didnt get there's until early May - and there were no email acceptances. So I'm thinking email is highly unlikely.

clocktower

New

Post by clocktower » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:53 pm

tls_toddy wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
this is my 5th post, will I be able to respond to your pm after posting this? we shall see

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Xfer45

New

Post by Xfer45 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Didn't receive a letter today, either.

duke1932452

New

Post by duke1932452 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Is there a stat anywhere about how many deferrals they send every year

RentAIC

New

Post by RentAIC » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:06 pm

Today: No letter, no deferment email, no clue what's going on anymore.

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:49 am

Spoiler alert: USPS says no mail arriving in my box today. The silver lining is this will allow me.to focus fully on my ridiculously long, closed-book Torts exam. Happy Tuesday!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MSUN5

Bronze

Post by MSUN5 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 am

Nothing on my end today.

Turns out this whole thing was a prank guys. You may now return to your regularly scheduled academic institutions.

Thank you.

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:56 am

Nothing here either. Back to work I guess. Would be nice to know before summer tuition is due but honestly I may be backing out of summer classes anyway in favor of some opportunities at work.

Xfer45

New

Post by Xfer45 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 am

Yea, letters must not have been sent Friday, so perhaps they didnt make any acceptance decisions yet. For those that received deferrals, if you're will to share of course, did your status checker change to "decison made" or in any other way?

CALIqueen

New

Post by CALIqueen » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:55 am

In addition to the information requested by @Xfer45, I would love to know:

1. If your program time was NOT already "full time", did your program time change to full time?

2. Does it say your application is "complete" or was "completed", and did you get an address change?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”