2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lolo24189

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:01 pm

2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby lolo24189 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Did you guys apply to transfer to schools by January/February deadlines and did you hear back before May or is earliest you hear back by May?

sahara1128

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:12 am

Re: 2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby sahara1128 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:52 pm

I applied early action to GULC and heard back by the end of April. But I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you really want to go to GULC. I wound up paying a deposit that I never used because I chose a different school. The earliest I heard back from other schools was mid-June.

lolo24189

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Re: 2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby lolo24189 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 pm

sahara1128 wrote:I applied early action to GULC and heard back by the end of April. But I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you really want to go to GULC. I wound up paying a deposit that I never used because I chose a different school. The earliest I heard back from other schools was mid-June.


Thank you!!!!

joefresh

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 9:05 am

Re: 2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby joefresh » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:39 pm

sahara1128 wrote:I applied early action to GULC and heard back by the end of April. But I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you really want to go to GULC. I wound up paying a deposit that I never used because I chose a different school. The earliest I heard back from other schools was mid-June.


I disagree. Applying EA to GULC is a good choice because it allows you to lock down a transfer on only first semester grades - therefore negating the possibility that you write a few random poor exams and are stuck at a school you don't want to graduate from. (it's not binding either ... Chicago EA is binding, however).

Worst case scenario is you get in to GULC and a school you really love and then have to decide if going to a school you love is worth burning the deposit.

SesameMochi

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 am

Re: 2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby SesameMochi » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:43 am

Sorry for slight topic diversion, but how uncommon are 3L transfers?

lolo24189

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Re: 2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby lolo24189 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:11 pm

SesameMochi wrote:Sorry for slight topic diversion, but how uncommon are 3L transfers?


You can't transfer as a 3L, you would just be a visiting student

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: 2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby QContinuum » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:29 pm

SesameMochi wrote:Sorry for slight topic diversion, but how uncommon are 3L transfers?

You generally can't transfer as a 3L, absent a school making a special exception for you. It could happen - RBG famously transferred to Columbia as a 3L (and boy, is CLS glad they made an exception for her... lol). But generally it's not an option.

SesameMochi

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 am

Re: 2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby SesameMochi » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:52 pm

QContinuum wrote:
SesameMochi wrote:Sorry for slight topic diversion, but how uncommon are 3L transfers?

You generally can't transfer as a 3L, absent a school making a special exception for you. It could happen - RBG famously transferred to Columbia as a 3L (and boy, is CLS glad they made an exception for her... lol). But generally it's not an option.


Hmm I see. What if you're one of those part time students who take 2 years to finish the 1L curriculum at another school? I read the topic as 3L transfers referring to part timers.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: 2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby QContinuum » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:57 pm

SesameMochi wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
SesameMochi wrote:Sorry for slight topic diversion, but how uncommon are 3L transfers?

You generally can't transfer as a 3L, absent a school making a special exception for you. It could happen - RBG famously transferred to Columbia as a 3L (and boy, is CLS glad they made an exception for her... lol). But generally it's not an option.


Hmm I see. What if you're one of those part time students who take 2 years to finish the 1L curriculum at another school? I read the topic as 3L transfers referring to part timers.

Generally schools cap the number of credits they accept from transfers (and may also have a minimum residency requirement). It's these two factors that generally preclude 3L transfers (as they would lose a whole year's worth of credits, and even if they didn't lose the credits, they wouldn't be able to satisfy the residency requirement with only 2 semesters of enrollment). So in your case, if you spend 2 years doing 1L, then you should still be eligible to apply to transfer to another school as a 2L.

notabigfanofcivpro

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:19 am

Re: 2L and 3L transfers, when was the earliest you heard back?

Postby notabigfanofcivpro » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:51 pm

FWIW, I heard back from one school I applied to this past Friday, March 1st.



Return to “Transfers�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.