Transfer from T1 to NYU Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wafflesfordays

New

Transfer from T1 to NYU

Post by wafflesfordays » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:59 pm

I got 3 B's 1L fall semester (3.0 GPA) at a T30-40 school in the northeast (My school curves to a 3.2). 2 final grades are due to inadequate testing accommodations (I have a disability). I am fighting with my school to see if I can retake these exams. Assuming I cannot I want to transfer schools. Will I have a chance at transferring to NYU assuming I get a 3.67 gpa or better spring semester (overall GPA would be a 3.39 which is below their mean transfer GPA of a 3.54) if I explain the circumstances of my lackluster first semester grades? Also I am a female URM.

Additionally, should I get accepted to NYU with a GPA at around a 3.39 from a T30-40 school, how will this impact me during OCI at NYU? Will I have a chance at landing a summer associate job through their OCI program? Trying to decide if it's worth it to transfer should I get accepted. Thanks in advance.

beinghuman

Re: Transfer from T1 to NYU

Post by beinghuman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:09 am

I'd hate to be negative here but it's unlikely that you'd be able to transfer to NYU with a 3.39. I personally would not count on it. See info attached.
http://www.law.nyu.edu/sites/default/fi ... Report.pdf
wafflesfordays wrote:I got 3 B's 1L fall semester (3.0 GPA) at a T30-40 school in the northeast (My school curves to a 3.2). 2 final grades are due to inadequate testing accommodations (I have a disability). I am fighting with my school to see if I can retake these exams. Assuming I cannot I want to transfer schools. Will I have a chance at transferring to NYU assuming I get a 3.67 gpa or better spring semester (overall GPA would be a 3.39 which is below their mean transfer GPA of a 3.54) if I explain the circumstances of my lackluster first semester grades? Also I am a female URM.

Additionally, should I get accepted to NYU with a GPA at around a 3.39 from a T30-40 school, how will this impact me during OCI at NYU? Will I have a chance at landing a summer associate job through their OCI program? Trying to decide if it's worth it to transfer should I get accepted. Thanks in advance.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:34 am

beinghuman wrote:I'd hate to be negative here but it's unlikely that you'd be able to transfer to NYU with a 3.39. I personally would not count on it. See info attached.
http://www.law.nyu.edu/sites/default/fi ... Report.pdf
I agree with you that OP probably can't transfer to NYU with that GPA, but I never really thought of the ABA 509 reports as dispositive - every law school curves differently and so a 3.4 can mean vastly different percentile ranks depending on the law school. For instance, 3.4 would be below median at a GPA inflating school like WashU, but if we presume that OP's statement about the curve is true, then 3.4 would be easily above median at OP's school.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:00 am

I transferred from a T1 to NYU, along with about 5 others at my T1 that also transferred to NYU. Essentially everyone was in top 10% of the class or very close to it. Sure, you can't compare the objective GPA figure since it varies school to school, but that percentile market is a pretty good comparative figure. I have no clue what a 3.4 GPA is at your school, but unless its in the top 10-15%, its a very uphill battle.

wafflesfordays

New

Post by wafflesfordays » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 pm

I saw someone on TLS from my school got accepted at around the same GPA as transfer last year (its at the mark of top 33% which is a 3.43) so i know it's possible but definitely a longshot. NYU takes a decent amount of transfers from my school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”