Old School's OCI as a Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Old School's OCI as a Transfer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 am

Dear TLS,

I have received a late acceptance from a T10 school, and will not be able to participate in that school's OCI. I am currently a student at a T2 and have over 20 pre-select interviews scheduled for OCI week. My deadline for accepting admission to the T10 is Aug 2; halfway into my current school's interview week.

I am virtually certain that I will accept the transfer. My current school was unable to offer me any scholarship as an incentive to stay, and if I am already paying sticker there is no doubt that money is better spent at a far more prestigious university. I am in a difficult situation and honestly would have probably stayed at my T2 if a scholarship was on the table. Without a scholarship, it just makes no sense. Figuratively speaking, I have the option of buying a Mercedes and a Honda for the same price. Taking the lesser option at the same price is rationally unfathomable.

My questions are about how I should behave during OCI:

1) Should I inform my interviewer that I have been accepted to X schools and plan on accepting? (Note: Many of the interviewers are partners or associates who are alumni of my current school. Thus, I am worried about this aspect both in terms of it seeming unprofessional that I am at the current school's OCI knowing I will transfer, and the potential of pissing off the particular interviewer who is an alumnus)

2) If the answer to question 1 is yes, should I hand the interviewers at OCI an edited resume with the new T10 Law School I will be attending listed?

P.S.
Just to clarify I know that there may be some ethical issues with respect to transfers and doing OCI at their old school. Nevertheless, I wanted to clarify two things. First, at the time of OCI I will either not yet have officially accepted my offer for admission or done so in the midst of the process. I have paid sticker for a full year of tuition at a school where employment prospects are low. I have managed to perform exceptionally well, and consider the right to participate at the old school's OCI something that I have paid for. Second, I AM NOT DOUBLE-DIPPING. I am not eligible time wise to participate in my potential transfer schools EIW and will only be doing one OCI.

I would like to thank you all in advance for any tips/advice you may have about this issue.

Anonymous User

Re: Old School's OCI as a Transfer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Hey XXXXXXXX,

Thank for sharing your story. We are both in a somewhat complex predicament. For obvious reasons, I am very much hoping to preserve my anonymity on this issue. Ultimately, I do not believe I can give you any useful advice; the reason I started this post is that I have no idea how to handle the situation optimally. Like I mentioned in my original post, what really frightens me is that most of the OCI interviewers are alumni of the school where I am doing OCI. Thus, they may be offended or distasteful towards a student who is jumping ship for something better. Adding to that, any interviewer might not like that a student who is set on transferring is interviewing at the school he/she is set on withdrawing from.

One thing I would like to add about your situation, and my opinion is based on no factual data, is that you probably do not want to contact the employers beforehand. If you do accept the transfer to the T10 officially (note I have not yet personally accepted anything), it might be against policy to continue with OCI and the employer might report you. Also, I don't think you want to go into OCI screeners with interviewers who have predispositions about you. Every correspondence is a chance to f**k up, and the last thing you want is to send an email to an employer, before he ever meets you, with a grammar mistake or typo.

MOD EDIT: removed the username of the person this post was directed to at their request

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”