Accepted to Harvard and Yale - Which One?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepted to Harvard and Yale - Which One?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Hey All,

I was accepted to Harvard and Yale - trying to weigh the pros and cons of choosing one over the other

Thanks!

Wubbles

New

Re: Accepted to Harvard and Yale - Which One?

Postby Wubbles » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Yale

ReganSays

New

Postby ReganSays » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Yale

omgomghi

New

Postby omgomghi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm

I am in the same boat. I am choosing Harvard -- there are absolutely reasons to do so. PM me if you want to chat.

Wild Card

Bronze

Postby Wild Card » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:56 am

Yale is supremely prestigious. You enjoy the presumption of extreme intelligence and work ethic as a YLS grad.

An HLS degree is just another law degree, unless you do particularly well, which isn't guaranteed.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Postby SomewhatLearnedHand » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

Wild Card wrote:Yale is supremely prestigious. You enjoy the presumption of extreme intelligence and work ethic as a YLS grad.

An HLS degree is just another law degree, unless you do particularly well, which isn't guaranteed.

Lol idk who, aside from only the most insufferable of prestige whores, considers HLS to be "just another law degree." That said, I do agree that Yale is regarded as a cut above.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Yale. It’s not even close. I would go to Yale just for their great loan repayment program if nothing else. I can’t think of any reason to take Harvard here.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:02 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
Wild Card wrote:Yale is supremely prestigious. You enjoy the presumption of extreme intelligence and work ethic as a YLS grad.

Lol idk who, aside from only the most insufferable of prestige whores, considers HLS to be "just another law degree." That said, I do agree that Yale is regarded as a cut above.

I think they mean many Harvard grads end up with the same jobs as everyone else, at least more than Yale grads.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:40 pm

What are your career goals, what is the cost of attendance at each, how are you paying, are there other factors (like family) impacting your decision, etc.? It’s impossible to advise you without more info.

Also, disregard whatever 0Ls on here say. They have no what they’re talking about.

esther0123

Bronze

Postby esther0123 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 pm

The two schools have a very different culture from what I gather from my YLS friends and having gone to HLS myself. I think if you perform well at HLS (higher end of cum laude / magna+) and are well-connected (either by family connections or through your own effort), then having gone to HLS versus YLS doesn't have that much of a difference in terms of obtaining extra-elite jobs, such as AUSA, Big Fed, elite boutiques, clerkships, etc.

However, a median HLS student has less options than a median YLS student, and maybe this is in part because YLS obscures class rank much better than HLS does (not to mention YLS's inherent rarity due to its much smaller class size). Not only does YLS not have grades in 1L first semester, class curves are nearly non-existent, and the school's culture is more connection/network-oriented. In contrast, HLS, although its rank might be more obscured than schools like CLS with "real" grades, in effect have grades for anyone who understands the difference between LP, P, H, DS. Blackletter classes still retain curve even after 1L, and 1L classes, needless to say, are all curved. The fact that HLS has Latin Honors upon graduation also reinforces the idea that there are "ranks," although less clear to the public but not that hard to decipher for those who know (including employers).

The culture in HLS is also more geared towards more "practical" and "traditional" job routes, namely Big Law, and to smaller extent, Big Fed. In YLS, I think an average student tends to have loftier goals, and tends towards more an academic/cerebral bent... which is suitable for academia/appellate practice, but less desirable for Big Law and trial practice.

In the end, I think YLS provides you with more of a cushion, but if you do well at HLS, your options are not substantially limited. HLS does better in black letter law, while still offering enough room for philosophizing, whereas YLS well give you its version of what law "should" be. In my experience, the latter kind of experience isn't always the best thing, post-school, but again, I obviously have some stake in this YLS v. HLS battle :-P. But Congrats OP!!

Vursz

Bronze

Postby Vursz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:06 pm

YLS grad here, so potentially biased, but in my opinion Yale and it’s not close.

If you want to clerk, there is quite simply no better place to be. Full stop. And in terms of biglaw, your biggest hurdle will be convincing firms you’re interested in “normal” legal work. You can get a V20 firm from virtually anywhere in the class. And if public interest is your goal, Yale has more fellowships per capita and better loan repayment than any other school.

I could imagine choosing HLS if your politics are right-of-center and you’re looking for faculty mentors (I lean conservative and missed this somewhat at YLS) but overall I’m absolutely delighted I went to Yale and loved my time there. I never thought law school could be such a joyful and engaging experience.

(OP or anyone else is welcome to PM me)

10b5

New

Postby 10b5 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Do people seriously believe this crap? Or are you so biased you'll post total nonsense, in spite of the real life effect it might have on people trying to make actual decisions?

HLS and YLS are both amazing institutions with similarly brilliant people, that have chosen to cultivate different cultures. If the geekier types of legal careers appeal more to you, then YLS is undoubtedly the better choice. If biglaw, business or electoral politics get you going, HLS is for you. If lay prestige and random people freaking out in random cities over your class of 2022 sweatshirt makes you happy, HLS is for you. I know I get a kick out of it, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. The network is unparalleled, broad and deep. I don't know of anyone with a bad outcome from either school, and I know a wide selection from both.

The only way to approach the decision is to go to ASWs, reach out to alums doing the things you think you might want to be doing in 5 or 10 years time, and PM verified current students for an honest take on administrative support, culture, and student life.

But you literally cannot go wrong either way, so congratulations!

Return to “Transfers?