FLS --> CLS? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

FLS? CLS?

Stay at FLS, dummy!
44%
Stay at FLS, close call
6%
Go to CLS, close call
13%
Go to CLS, dummy!
38%

Total votes: 16

Anonymous User

FLS --> CLS?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:47 am

Just got in at CLS, wondering if it's worth it to leave FLS. I'd be giving up: Top 10-11% GPA, LR, and 50% Scholly. Further, FLS just ended its bid window, and I'm not sure whether they'd allow me to ride out the OCI cycle before transfer. I'm also image-obsessed, and the thought of CLS on my resume gives me the meatsweats. Thoughts?

ReganSays

New

Re: FLS --> CLS?

Post by ReganSays » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got in at CLS, wondering if it's worth it to leave FLS. I'd be giving up: Top 10-11% GPA, LR, and 50% Scholly. Further, FLS just ended its bid window, and I'm not sure whether they'd allow me to ride out the OCI cycle before transfer. I'm also image-obsessed, and the thought of CLS on my resume gives me the meatsweats. Thoughts?
What do you want to do with your career? If you want to stay in NYC and want Big Law then stay at Fordham and save the money. If you have loftier goals (academia, prestigious or unicorn government or PI jobs) then you probably should go to CLS.

Talk to whomever wrote your 1L letters of recommendation and get their advice.

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got in at CLS, wondering if it's worth it to leave FLS. I'd be giving up: Top 10-11% GPA, LR, and 50% Scholly. Further, FLS just ended its bid window, and I'm not sure whether they'd allow me to ride out the OCI cycle before transfer. I'm also image-obsessed, and the thought of CLS on my resume gives me the meatsweats. Thoughts?
Is FLS Fordham Law? And I'm assuming that CLS is Columbia?

TransferAdvice18

New

Post by TransferAdvice18 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am

If all you want is NYC biglaw, then there is no reason to leave Fordham as you will get a biglaw job with your class rank so long as you can appear somewhat normal during interviews. Get over your need for prestige and stay at Fordham and save a ton of money.

This, of course, only applies if you are taking out loans to pay for school. If you (or your parents) have enough money to pay sticker at CLS without loans, then go for it.

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:02 am

Do you want NYC Big law? If so, stay at Fordham because you'll be golden (especially if you've formed good relationships with 1L professors).

If you want another market or have loftier goals (academia, unicorn/prestigious government or PI jobs, bigger shot at fed clerkships) you should transfer.

Ask whomever wrote your law professor recommendations for transferring for their candid advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jonesy2020

New

Post by Jonesy2020 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:04 am

TransferAdvice18 wrote:If all you want is NYC biglaw, then there is no reason to leave Fordham as you will get a biglaw job with your class rank so long as you can appear somewhat normal during interviews. Get over your need for prestige and stay at Fordham and save a ton of money.

This, of course, only applies if you are taking out loans to pay for school. If you (or your parents) have enough money to pay sticker at CLS without loans, then go for it.
I second this and also note that Law Review essentially wouldn't be an option at CLS. Although they allow transfers to participate in the competition, a transfer from last year has said that they haven't accepted a transfer on to law review in over 10 years...

OrangeGrandma

New

Post by OrangeGrandma » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 am

May I ask your timeline? My application went complete over a week ago and still no decision yet. I don’t know if that’s a bad sign.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”