Actual ranking versus school's ranking Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
janereacher

Bronze

Actual ranking versus school's ranking

Post by janereacher » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 pm

My T20-30 school's upper calculated percentile band is 5% but based on my ranking I am in the top 2.5%. Can I report top 2.5% (or top 3%) even if the school will only confirm 5%? If I give them my ranking (4/1**), will they calculate it themselves anyway or just go with the schools percentile band?

Wild Card

Silver

Re: Actual ranking versus school's ranking

Post by Wild Card » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:40 am

The issue is whether you would be misleading prospective employers.

Ask yourself, if I know my ranking, if I have been told my ranking, and I put it on my resume followed by a technically and strictly correct percentile rank based on my ranking, would I be misleading a prospective employer?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:23 am

Use the school’s percentile band and include the cut off so employers can see how far above the cutoff you are. E.g., 3.9 GPA, top 5% (3.8 cutoff). Your career services should have example resumes showing this. Do not put a calculation on there that your school won’t confirm. Anyone who knows your school or checks will be disturbed by the discrepancy.

ETA: once you’re in the top 5% at a t30, there isn’t much to gain by showing you’re probably top 3%. So you don’t have much to gain. If school provides a top 2% cutoff, you can also include that to show that you’re not far off.

Just noticed you can give a numeric ranking. Do that and don’t worry about percentile.

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:17 pm

I think you should go with numerical (i.e 4/150). That looks pretty good.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am

I would for sure throw 4/160 on there. Anything single digits, particularly <5 looks great.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”