UC Davis v. Loyola Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UC Davis v. Loyola

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:18 am

Transferring from Mcgeorge, got into davis and Loyola. Which school is better for biglaw job opportunities? Also, if any of current or former students can tell me what the school, classes and OCI are like?

kengh

Bronze

Re: UC Davis v. Loyola

Post by kengh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Transferring from Mcgeorge, got into davis and Loyola. Which school is better for biglaw job opportunities? Also, if any of current or former students can tell me what the school, classes and OCI are like?
Congratulations! Have you looked at the employment reports for the two schools?

cburto10

New

Post by cburto10 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Assuming you mean Loyola, Los Angeles?
Just transferred from Loyola to UCLA! would be happy to give you some insight into Loyola.

OCI - One of the reasons I transferred is for better big law opportunities. Loyola has around 40-50 great mid sized to "big law" firms mostly from LA and Orange County (compared to about 150 at UCLA). GPA hiring criteria is usually around top 10% of Loyola's class (around a GPA of 3.8) to a decent portion of those firms (i.e. Sidley Austin, Skadden, Sheppard Mullin, Proskauer). Some firms target the top 5% of Loyola's class (i.e. Latham, O'Melveny, Paul Hastings, Munger, Irell). Loyola is at a slight disadvantage compared to USC/UCLA, but still has great relationships with most of these firms. Alumni at these places are extremely friendly and offer to help in anyway they can: introductions to others in the office, mock interviews, informational interviews.

Classes - Really depends on what you are interested in. Loyola has had a tremendous entertainment program that has fallen off slightly because of cancellation of classes and retaining more students interested in other things. They have really pushed to be one of the best when it comes to pro bono work, advocacy clinics, public interest. Loyola does offer concentration programs in corporate, entertainment among others. These programs offer cool classes but we have yet to see them put on the class lists for fall/spring. Faculty throughout the school is OUTSTANDING! Professors really go out of their way for you. Class size depends on the class.

School - Located in DTLA, but completely safe on campus. Don't suggest walking if you have evening classes (can be a little suspect walking alone at night). If you're commuting, you're golden!

LAlawstudent94

New

Post by LAlawstudent94 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Just came here to echo the above statements about Loyola LA. I loved the school, people and classes. The teachers were phenomenal and really easy to talk to, but the support staff was equally as engaging - my counselor would respond with resume corrections on the weekend in 20 minutes! The school focuses a lot on career development, networking, and practical experience/clinics since there are ways for Loyola attorneys to be practice ready and compete with all of the other local talent. The classmates are also all very down to earth and easy to get along with, especially since the school is not as much of a gunner school as some others are.

Overall, great program and location. Would highly recommend!

momof4

New

Post by momof4 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Hello,

I'm matriculating at McGeorge this fall and was waitlisted at Davis. I'm considering whether I should apply to transfer next year. Do you mind if I send you a PM?

Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:14 pm

momof4 wrote:Hello,

I'm matriculating at McGeorge this fall and was waitlisted at Davis. I'm considering whether I should apply to transfer next year. Do you mind if I send you a PM?

Thank you!
You should start by not matriculating at Mcgeorge

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Wubbles wrote:
momof4 wrote:Hello,

Thank you!
You should start by not matriculating at Mcgeorge
This.

The OP was extremely lucky. The vast majority of their classmates would not have had the option to transfer somewhere like Davis. McGeorge is a scam, and you shouldn't matriculate anywhere you wouldn't be happy to graduate from.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”