transfer acceptance urgent decision required Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

transfer acceptance urgent decision required

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Hey guys,

I was very recently accepted into a school within the T20, but I'm getting a lot of pressure from them to make a decision by this upcoming week and I haven't heard back from a few schools. The school I am most concerned about is NYU. I've come here to ask for advice on whether I should just commit to them or give my seat up and wait for NYU. My stats are: T1 top 15%, 1L biglaw SA. My GPA falls between the 50th and 75th percentile for transfers at NYU last year. Should I really take this risk? The T20 school I was accepted to is a great school and does well in the biglaw market I want to practice in, and I would be happy to go there. However, NYU is NYU. What should I do?

I've kept the T20 school secret for the sake of complete anonymity.

EDIT: NYU is awaiting my transcript. Grades came out super late. I submitted all apps June 14th. I didn't expect to hear back from the T20 so quickly (heard back in less than a week after submitting the app).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Re: transfer acceptance urgent decision required

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

I was accepted into a school within the T20, but I'm getting a lot of pressure from them to make a decision by this upcoming week and I haven't heard back from a few schools. The school I am most concerned about is NYU. I've come here to ask for advice on whether I should just commit to them or give my seat up and wait for NYU. My stats are: T1 top 15%, 1L biglaw SA. My GPA falls between the 50th and 75th percentile for transfers at NYU last year. Should I really take this risk? The T20 school I was accepted to is a great school and does well in the biglaw market I want to practice in, and I would be happy to go there. However, NYU is NYU. What should I do?

Def. wait it out. They won't rescind your acceptance. Explain to them that you need a few more days to make your decision. Also, I would contact NYU and tell them that another school already accepted you and they need to know of your decision soon.

If you eventually go to this T20 school, you will never have to deal with the admissions counselor again. So don't worry about getting on their bad side because chances are they won't remember you by the time you start. They're likely pressuring you because they want to give other offers to other people. But really, your hands are tied.
Last edited by estefanchanning on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Why cant u just pay the deposit and then wait? i get its expensive but its better than losing your seat if things with NYU dont pan out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:54 pm

estefanchanning wrote:

I was accepted into a school within the T20, but I'm getting a lot of pressure from them to make a decision by this upcoming week and I haven't heard back from a few schools. The school I am most concerned about is NYU. I've come here to ask for advice on whether I should just commit to them or give my seat up and wait for NYU. My stats are: T1 top 15%, 1L biglaw SA. My GPA falls between the 50th and 75th percentile for transfers at NYU last year. Should I really take this risk? The T20 school I was accepted to is a great school and does well in the biglaw market I want to practice in, and I would be happy to go there. However, NYU is NYU. What should I do?

Def. wait it out. They cannot rescind your acceptance. Explain to them that you need a few more days to make your decision. Also, I would contact NYU and tell them that another school already accepted you and they need to know of your decision soon.

If you eventually go to this T20 school, you will never have to deal with the admissions counselor again. So don't worry about getting on their bad side because chances are they won't remember you by the time you start. They're likely pressuring you because they want to give other offers to other people. But really, your hands are tied.
Yeah this is chaotic for me. Also, this is the director of admissions. And I don't blame them. It's in their best interest. But it's also in my best interest to wait to hear back from other schools before making a decision. I'm just afraid I won't get any acceptances from the other schools, and the T20 school would give away my seat if I didn't pay the seat deposit and sign the letter of intent by the deadline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:55 pm

kengh wrote:Why cant u just pay the deposit and then wait? i get its expensive but its better than losing your seat if things with NYU dont pan out.
They want me to sign a letter of intent and withdraw from other schools in addition to paying the seat deposit. Also, deadline for Early interview week signups is coming up in two weeks or something

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kengh wrote:Why cant u just pay the deposit and then wait? i get its expensive but its better than losing your seat if things with NYU dont pan out.
They want me to sign a letter of intent and withdraw from other schools in addition to paying the seat deposit. Also, deadline for Early interview week signups is coming up in two weeks or something

Ahh i know what school you are talking about. I thought that you just have to withdraw if u want to be able to start placing bids for OCI?

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:59 pm

I would call the school and explain your situation. I would not call NYU they might rush your app and not give it the attention that it may deserve. I don't work in admissions but that's just my thought on it.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:

Def. wait it out. They cannot rescind your acceptance. Explain to them that you need a few more days to make your decision. Also, I would contact NYU and tell them that another school already accepted you and they need to know of your decision soon.

Yeah this is chaotic for me. Also, this is the director of admissions. And I don't blame them. It's in their best interest. But it's also in my best interest to wait to hear back from other schools before making a decision. I'm just afraid I won't get any acceptances from the other schools, and the T20 school would give away my seat if I didn't pay the seat deposit and sign the letter of intent by the deadline.

Talk with the admissions person over the phone and explain your situation. Don't say you're waiting on NYU. Just say that you need to discuss with your family and if you can have additional time for consideration.

If they don't give you more time, call NYU and explain that you will accept the T-20 unless they give you a decision.

If NYU doesn't budge, then you've done all you can, and go with the T-20

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:02 pm

kengh wrote:I would call the school and explain your situation. I would not call NYU they might rush your app and not give it the attention that it may deserve. I don't work in admissions but that's just my thought on it.
I disagree with this. NYU might have already reviewed his app and placed him in the 2nd or 3rd choice pile. They absolutely should be told of extraneous circumstances like these. To think that NYU will "rush" his app is silly. These are professionals, they can prioritize.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:04 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
kengh wrote:I would call the school and explain your situation. I would not call NYU they might rush your app and not give it the attention that it may deserve. I don't work in admissions but that's just my thought on it.
I disagree with this. NYU might have already reviewed his app and placed him in the 2nd or 3rd choice pile. They absolutely should be told of extraneous circumstances like these. To think that NYU will "rush" his app is silly. These are professionals, they can prioritize.
That’s why I said it was just my opinion and that I didn’t have any admissions background to support my thought.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
I know last cycle NYU said that they would not give expedited decisions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:52 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
OP HERE: NYU has not even reviewed my app yet. They are awaiting my transcripts, which have been mailed.

MOD EDIT: Cleaned up the double post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 pm

kengh wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ahh i know what school you are talking about. I thought that you just have to withdraw if u want to be able to start placing bids for OCI?
Perhaps, but after denying my deadline extension, they said they would move forward with another candidate. I then told them I was very interested in the school (which I am) and asked to just have the original deadline. I'm still discussing with them about this trying to convince them to keep my original deadline available. If I can't convince admissions to keep my acceptance available until next week, then it's all or nothing today. I'm feeling stuck b/c I really like this T20 school a lot and I'm grateful to have an acceptance, but really, I need more time to make an informed decision.

And for more context of my situation, I haven't even been able to discuss this with my parents because one of our family members just had stroke and they're very occupied with his well-being right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”