Columbia 2018 Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lebaneselawyer

New

Re: Columbia 2018 Transfer Thread

Post by lebaneselawyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm

kengh wrote:Anyone called and asked when more decisions should be out?
I called this morning and was told they would send out all decisions by the end of this month. I asked if that meant the 27th or the 31st and they were unable to clarify.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:27 am

Anyone know if you can request an expedited review?

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:10 pm

kengh wrote:Anyone know if you can request an expedited review?
I just now got a standard response to my request for an expedited review I sent a week ago (deadline I gave was tomorrow noon so now that doesn't look likely) and the only way I got that response was by calling Admissions to follow up again today. Basically says "we are unable to guarantee a specific timeline for a decision, however the Admissions Committee will be made aware of your request." I'd say worth a shot to send an email but they seem so backed up may be unlikely to actually happen.

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Stats: T20-25; GPA 3.77; school doesn't rank

After having to call Admissions MULTIPLE times, my status checker just updated to "Complete" though the Dean's Cert box and Ugrad box are unchecked. I still have yet to receive the "Your application is complete" email that admissions staff kept insisting I would get if I just kept waiting. They also tried to say it was in my spam folder which I know it's not and had I not known that and communicated that to Admissions my status may not have ever updated--point of all this just be super diligent (but respectful obviously)

Hopefully a decision is coming soon!

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:26 pm

ojpossum wrote:Stats: T20-25; GPA 3.77; school doesn't rank

After having to call Admissions MULTIPLE times, my status checker just updated to "Complete" though the Dean's Cert box and Ugrad box are unchecked. I still have yet to receive the "Your application is complete" email that admissions staff kept insisting I would get if I just kept waiting. They also tried to say it was in my spam folder which I know it's not and had I not known that and communicated that to Admissions my status may not have ever updated--point of all this just be super diligent (but respectful obviously)

You'll probably get the "app complete" e-mail around 8:40 tonight (EST). I think they are automatically sent at that time every night.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:42 pm

ReganSays wrote:

You'll probably get the "app complete" e-mail around 8:40 tonight (EST). I think they are automatically sent at that time every night.
Good to know! I'm just getting worried. I was accepted to NYU but they have a deposit deadline of tomorrow noon. Would love to be able to hear about my Columbia app one way or another so I can settle into OCI prep and actually be able to contact firms with my correct school's name on it lol but seems like that won't be likely

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50 pm

ojpossum wrote:
ReganSays wrote:

Good to know! I'm just getting worried. I was accepted to NYU but they have a deposit deadline of tomorrow noon. Would love to be able to hear about my Columbia app one way or another so I can settle into OCI prep and actually be able to contact firms with my correct school's name on it lol but seems like that won't be likely
Either way seems like you're in a great place! Congrats on NYU! Good luck with Columbia!!

TransferTossAway

New

Post by TransferTossAway » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:58 pm

As a related to note to those who committed and did the CLR write on, has anyone heard anything?

To those waiting, I suspect this will be the week you hear back, as the deadline for bidding makes me think one would be unable to participate in OCI if admitted next week, which obviously they wouldn't want. Granted, I'd check last years thread to see how late relative to OCI people were admitted.

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:09 pm

ReganSays wrote:
ojpossum wrote:
ReganSays wrote:

Either way seems like you're in a great place! Congrats on NYU! Good luck with Columbia!!
Thank you! Also, congrats on your Columbia acceptance!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Does anyone know of any deposit deadlines happening this week? Just trying to hold out hope that maybe there will be some movement this afternoon or tomorrow

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:11 pm

ojpossum wrote:
ReganSays wrote:
ojpossum wrote:
ReganSays wrote:

Thank you! We are in opposite positions. I'm waiting on NYU still...and they're my first choice!

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:15 pm

ojpossum wrote:
ReganSays wrote:

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from both and I really just want to know at this point.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm

notellewoods wrote:
ojpossum wrote:
ReganSays wrote:

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from both and I really just want to know at this point.
Same boat here except with cls and Chicago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:17 pm

ReganSays wrote:
ojpossum wrote:
ReganSays wrote:
ojpossum wrote:
ReganSays wrote:

Thank you! We are in opposite positions. I'm waiting on NYU still...and they're my first choice!
Haha funny how that works! Well, if we could call up admissions and swap acceptances I'd be very down for that! haha. I'm sure you'll hear this week. NYU has a deposit deadline of noon tomorrow and I've noticed a trend of them pushing a wave of decisions on the actual day that deposits are due.

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:26 pm

kengh wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
ojpossum wrote:
ReganSays wrote:

Same boat here except with cls and Chicago.
I should have applied to Chicago, smart that you did both. I'm sure you'll get into one if not both! And hopefully we will all hear by the end of the week!

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Anyone seen any recent movement?

lebaneselawyer

New

Post by lebaneselawyer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:45 pm

kengh wrote:Anyone seen any recent movement?
I got an email at 4:14 from the "Office of the University Registrar for Columbia University" that was like a welcome new students email. I immediately called the JD Admissions office to verify and they said that this was a glitch. :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTTTortQueen

New

Post by TTTTortQueen » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:48 pm

lebaneselawyer wrote:
I got an email at 4:14 from the "Office of the University Registrar for Columbia University" that was like a welcome new students email. I immediately called the JD Admissions office to verify and they said that this was a glitch. :roll:
Glad someone called! That email freaked me out lol

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:29 pm

TTTTortQueen wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
I didn’t get anything.

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:19 am

TTTTortQueen wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
I got the same email around that time and called the Admissions Office because I thought it was weird that it came from the general university. :cry:

StandardWhiteGuy32

New

Post by StandardWhiteGuy32 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 am

notellewoods wrote:
TTTTortQueen wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
I got the same email around that time and called the Admissions Office because I thought it was weird that it came from the general university. :cry:
These glitches are really starting to sour my perception of Columbia. First the "Hello, Student!" email from Columbia FinAid, and now this? Both "glitches"? It's inconsiderate at best, and irresponsible at worst. If this is the face they show during their *application* process, during which they're supposedly courting qualified candidates, I'd hate to see how they treat transfers after acceptance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:45 am

StandardWhiteGuy32 wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
TTTTortQueen wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
These glitches are really starting to sour my perception of Columbia. First the "Hello, Student!" email from Columbia FinAid, and now this? Both "glitches"? It's inconsiderate at best, and irresponsible at worst. If this is the face they show during their *application* process, during which they're supposedly courting qualified candidates, I'd hate to see how they treat transfers after acceptance.
I was actually with some attorneys from work when I got the email and then called the Admissions Office. One of them told me that the same thing happened to a friend of hers last year. She got the email, called them, and they said it was a glitch. But she got the acceptance three days later. I don't want to jinx it though lol

Throwaway7255

New

Post by Throwaway7255 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Got acceptance email about an hour ago.

Deposit deadline is tomorrow

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Seems like another quiet day....I have heard from a friend though that deposit deadlines were yesterday. And I did notice last deposit deadline they issued more acceptances 2 days after so hopefully if nothing today maybe there will be some news tomorrow. I think I can only give them until tomorrow anyway considering EIW is in less than 2 weeks.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Throwaway7255 wrote:Got acceptance email about an hour ago.

Deposit deadline is tomorrow
Idk if this is a troll. One day to put a deposit?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”