NYU 2018 Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
suckmysolidsnake

New

Re: NYU 2018 Transfer

Post by suckmysolidsnake » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 pm

vl78 wrote:
suckmysolidsnake wrote:
vl78 wrote:
notellewoods wrote:If my app went complete on 06/29 and I haven't gotten called yet, is that a bad sign? I honestly would just rather know so I can decide if I'm staying in NYC or leaving.
I've been UR1 since 6/26 and there's been no update... I called the admissions office after ojpossum's good news to see if they are still releasing decisions this week, and apparently they are still planning to send out decisions, so I guess maybe we are just lost in some pile somewhere...
What tier is your school? I'm willing to bet serious money that everyone not in a T1 is being held out until seats for transfers are occupied by those in the T1 and T14.

I'm in a T2 and my status hasn't updated since the 29th.
Same with another one of the posters above who went UR1 on the 29th.
And now you with the 26th (if you're at a T2).
I'm at a T14... :(
ahh, well that destroys my theory

sourbritecrawlers3

New

Post by sourbritecrawlers3 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:14 pm

Surprisingly in today. Application submitted on 7/1 and status never went complete. On the application status "requirement list", college questionnaire remains unchecked (not sure if it's a mistake).

edit: T14, Top 35% gpa, no "why nyu"

sc564

New

Post by sc564 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:27 pm

sourbritecrawlers3 wrote:Surprisingly in today. Application submitted on 7/1 and status never went complete. On the application status "requirement list", college questionnaire remains unchecked (not sure if it's a mistake).

Still at UR1 as of July 5. T1 top 15%. :( what is going on

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 pm

vl78 wrote:
suckmysolidsnake wrote:
vl78 wrote:
notellewoods wrote:If my app went complete on 06/29 and I haven't gotten called yet, is that a bad sign? I honestly would just rather know so I can decide if I'm staying in NYC or leaving.
I've been UR1 since 6/26 and there's been no update... I called the admissions office after ojpossum's good news to see if they are still releasing decisions this week, and apparently they are still planning to send out decisions, so I guess maybe we are just lost in some pile somewhere...
What tier is your school? I'm willing to bet serious money that everyone not in a T1 is being held out until seats for transfers are occupied by those in the T1 and T14.

I'm in a T2 and my status hasn't updated since the 29th.
Same with another one of the posters above who went UR1 on the 29th.
And now you with the 26th (if you're at a T2).
I'm at a T14... :(
I'm from a T2 so I'm worried. I really just want to know so I can know if I'm staying in NYC and secure housing.

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm

sourbritecrawlers3 wrote:Surprisingly in today. Application submitted on 7/1 and status never went complete. On the application status "requirement list", college questionnaire remains unchecked (not sure if it's a mistake).

Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sc564

New

Post by sc564 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Has anyone been dinged btw? Or does NYU like to ding everyone at once

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:41 pm

sc564 wrote:Has anyone been dinged btw? Or does NYU like to ding everyone at once
I don't know but I wish that if I was going to get dinged, I would just get dinged now. The suspense is killing me.

Throwaway000

New

Post by Throwaway000 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 am

Received a phone call yesterday with acceptance. Applied 6/22 UR1 6/29 UR2 7/10 Accepted 7/11 (About 3:30 ET) Stats: 3.5X at T25

sc564

New

Post by sc564 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:25 am

Throwaway000 wrote:Received a phone call yesterday with acceptance. Applied 6/22 UR1 6/29 UR2 7/10 Accepted 7/11 (About 3:30 ET) Stats: 3.5X at T25
Congrats! What was your rank, if that matters?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lebaneselawyer

New

Post by lebaneselawyer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 am

Does anyone else have their last UR as 7/3. Applied 6/10 I can't remember when I went complete but haven't seen any changes since 7/3 and starting to worry.

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 am

lebaneselawyer wrote:Does anyone else have their last UR as 7/3. Applied 6/10 I can't remember when I went complete but haven't seen any changes since 7/3 and starting to worry.
I haven't seen any changes since 6/29 so I've pretty much given up hope. I sent in my application on May 21 but my undergrad took forever to get my college questionnaire in so my app didn't become complete until about the 29th. Haven't seen movement since.

lebaneselawyer

New

Post by lebaneselawyer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:11 pm

notellewoods wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:Does anyone else have their last UR as 7/3. Applied 6/10 I can't remember when I went complete but haven't seen any changes since 7/3 and starting to worry.
I haven't seen any changes since 6/29 so I've pretty much given up hope. I sent in my application on May 21 but my undergrad took forever to get my college questionnaire in so my app didn't become complete until about the 29th. Haven't seen movement since.

I've emailed them explaining the urgency of my situation, I have to move out of my apartment in 2 weeks and if I don't hear in time that means I'll be moving to Chicago. Their response was that everyone would have a decision my mid-August....I'm hoping to hear somthing tomorrow.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:13 pm

lebaneselawyer wrote:
notellewoods wrote:

I've emailed them explaining the urgency of my situation, I have to move out of my apartment in 2 weeks and if I don't hear in time that means I'll be moving to Chicago. Their response was that everyone would have a decision my mid-August....I'm hoping to hear somthing tomorrow.
Northwestern or UChicago?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lebaneselawyer

New

Post by lebaneselawyer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:16 pm

kengh wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
notellewoods wrote:

Northwestern

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:32 pm

lebaneselawyer wrote:
kengh wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
notellewoods wrote:

Northwestern
Omg I have the same dilemma! I got into Northwestern but I'm waiting on NYU. I have to secure an apartment in Chicago if I don't get into NYU or Chicago and I also have to be out of my apartment by 09/01 even if I stay in NYC so if I do stay, I have to start apartment hunting STAT if I don't get housing. I also literally got the same email.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm

notellewoods wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
kengh wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
notellewoods wrote:

Northwestern
Omg I have the same dilemma! I got into Northwestern but I'm waiting on NYU. I have to secure an apartment in Chicago if I don't get into NYU or Chicago and I also have to be out of my apartment by 09/01 even if I stay in NYC so if I do stay, I have to start apartment hunting STAT if I don't get housing. I also literally got the same email.
I pmed u

nls336

New

Post by nls336 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

notellewoods wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
kengh wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
notellewoods wrote:

Northwestern

not sure if this is helpful information for you but when I had a similar dilemma I made the choice not to deposit at a school because I spent a lot of time reading the LSAC websites and found out that as of May 15 LSAC updates a list of people with deposits at other schools and that that information and its viewable to admissions people including at those schools where your application is pending. I'd wager it might be possible they've seen you deposit at another school

but that's just a guess

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:11 pm

nls336 wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
kengh wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
notellewoods wrote:

Northwestern

not sure if this is helpful information for you but when I had a similar dilemma I made the choice not to deposit at a school because I spent a lot of time reading the LSAC websites and found out that as of May 15 LSAC updates a list of people with deposits at other schools and that that information and its viewable to admissions people including at those schools where your application is pending. I'd wager it might be possible they've seen you deposit at another school

but that's just a guess
Possibly but I did email the Admissions Office and let them know that I had a deposit deadline. I also did imply that NYU was my first choice. I thought that the email might actually backfire but I wanted to see if they had made a decision on my app or not. Just out of curiosity, does this mean that as of May 15 of this year, LSAC does this? Or as of May 15 of every year, LSAC updates the list of people with deposits? Because I put down my deposit in July. The problem with not putting a deposit down is the risk that you're taking because you're giving up your seat.

EDIT: I just checked the LSAC website and it says May 15 of each year. I think that policy only applies to students applying the first time around, not transfer students. Because I submitted my deposit in early July.

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:17 pm

nls336 wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:

but that's just a guess
Possibly but I did email the Admissions Office and let them know that I had a deposit deadline. I also did imply that NYU was my first choice. I thought that the email might actually backfire but I wanted to see if they had made a decision on my app or not. Just out of curiosity, does this mean that as of May 15 of this year, LSAC does this? Or as of May 15 of every year, LSAC updates the list of people with deposits? Because I put down my deposit in July. The problem with not putting a deposit down is the risk that you're taking because you're giving up your seat.

EDIT: I just checked the LSAC website and it says May 15 of each year. I think that policy only applies to students applying the first time around, not transfer students. Because I submitted my deposit in early July.
I think that this policy only applies to people applying for the 1L year, not to transfer students. Though, I'm sure if LSAC updates the list, as they do periodically after May 15 I believe, they can see if transfers have two deposits down (or one down).

Edit: Wrote this out before I saw your edit.

nls336

New

Post by nls336 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 pm

ReganSays wrote:
nls336 wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
lebaneselawyer wrote:

but that's just a guess

I think that this policy only applies to people applying for the 1L year, not to transfer students. Though, I'm sure if LSAC updates the list, as they do periodically after May 15 I believe, they can see if transfers have two deposits down (or one down).

Edit: Wrote this out before I saw your edit.
I wouldn't think it matters who the process is designed for -- there are still students on waitlists for 1L admissions for instance so I agree with above, as long as they periodically update then they'll probably be able to see the multiple deposits. I only offer this info because if you think of transferring as a school's new extra money game it would make sense that they'd want to admit students who have no conflicts first so they'd have that extra assurance that they're probably going to pick NYU. I honestly don't know if it's something that's relevant but I just wanted to offer that info up in case you hadn't contacted them about it, or anyone else hasn't! glad you have!

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm

nls336 wrote:
I wouldn't think it matters who the process is designed for -- there are still students on waitlists for 1L admissions for instance so I agree with above, as long as they periodically update then they'll probably be able to see the multiple deposits. I only offer this info because if you think of transferring as a school's new extra money game it would make sense that they'd want to admit students who have no conflicts first so they'd have that extra assurance that they're probably going to pick NYU. I honestly don't know if it's something that's relevant but I just wanted to offer that info up in case you hadn't contacted them about it, or anyone else hasn't! glad you have!

No, I'm glad you said something because I honestly had no idea. I wasn't even aware of that policy. So thank you! I went back and forth for a really long time on whether or not I should even email NYU because I was afraid it might backfire but my sister encouraged me to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sc564

New

Post by sc564 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am

is it safe to assume that all spots have been filled at NYU?

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 am

sc564 wrote:is it safe to assume that all spots have been filled at NYU?
You never know, but if you look at past threads acceptances have been given as late as August and it's common for some to come at the end of July as well.

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:52 pm

I wish NYU would hurry up and let me know either way because if I'm not staying NYC, I have to get an apartment in Chicago.

sc564

New

Post by sc564 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 am

What was the seat deposit deadline for the most recently accepted transfer students?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”