T1 to Georgetown? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T1 to Georgetown?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2018 4:24 pm

I heard Georgetown Law Transfer students don't do well at Early Interview Week. Anyone Georgetown Transfer students willing to share their EIW experiences?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: T1 to Georgetown?

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu May 31, 2018 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard Georgetown Law Transfer students don't do well at Early Interview Week. Anyone Georgetown Transfer students willing to share their EIW experiences?
It has been noted elsewhere on this site, but I will repeat the wisdom here. Generally, transfers to t13 schools that allow transfers to participate in OCI/EIW (unlike schools such as Cornell where you cannot participate) do worse then their classmates. Over the years, transfers tend to do worse. The reason most often given by interviewers who have in the past commented on this phenomenon on this site point out that just because you did well at a t1 does not help them figure out where you place within your new t13, or Georgetown in your case. Given that most of the firms participating at a t13 OCI don't go to your t1 should show this. The vault 100 firms generally do not want t1 kids when they can have t13 kids. Now, there clearly are exceptions, say if you are top 10% at Cardozo or top 30% at Fordham, you will have a great chance at all of the v100 NYC firms. But that is because those firms have experience with those schools in that market. If you are a transfer from say idk FSU to Georgetown, the firms generally at Georgetown's oci wont be at FSU. They dont need those kids. So now it becomes much harder for the interviewer to place you as a transfer student in relation to your peers at the new school. You have no grades. You have no connection yet to the school. It just makes you generally less desirable than a median student at a t13/Georgetown during OCI. Those students have proven themselves against their classmates, while transfers are wildcards.

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:16 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I heard Georgetown Law Transfer students don't do well at Early Interview Week. Anyone Georgetown Transfer students willing to share their EIW experiences?
It has been noted elsewhere on this site, but I will repeat the wisdom here. Generally, transfers to t13 schools that allow transfers to participate in OCI/EIW (unlike schools such as Cornell where you cannot participate) do worse then their classmates. Over the years, transfers tend to do worse. The reason most often given by interviewers who have in the past commented on this phenomenon on this site point out that just because you did well at a t1 does not help them figure out where you place within your new t13, or Georgetown in your case. Given that most of the firms participating at a t13 OCI don't go to your t1 should show this. The vault 100 firms generally do not want t1 kids when they can have t13 kids. Now, there clearly are exceptions, say if you are top 10% at Cardozo or top 30% at Fordham, you will have a great chance at all of the v100 NYC firms. But that is because those firms have experience with those schools in that market. If you are a transfer from say idk FSU to Georgetown, the firms generally at Georgetown's oci wont be at FSU. They dont need those kids. So now it becomes much harder for the interviewer to place you as a transfer student in relation to your peers at the new school. You have no grades. You have no connection yet to the school. It just makes you generally less desirable than a median student at a t13/Georgetown during OCI. Those students have proven themselves against their classmates, while transfers are wildcards.
I think this is a little off. I transferred to a t14 school and did well along with most of my transfer class. Many of us had offers from v10 firms. I would say that it seems correct that they view your grades as from your 1l school, but they know your degree will be from your new school. Also, people know that just because you started at one school doesnt mean you are not as smart as the kids at your new school. In fact, I was told by a v10 and v50 they love transfers and have a good history from them.

I am not trying to oversell this, because it is true that you will be viewed a bit differently than students who started at your new school. A good interview can overcome that though.

My original school was out of market and not widely known in my new market.

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:41 pm

I talked about this a little in another thread, so I'll do a copy-paste.

"GTown Transfer. Had a couple Biglaw offers. I came in with hesitation about my chances, but I literally don't know a single transfer (who went through EIW) who does not have a Biglaw offer (However, I know of transfers who opted not to do EIW because they were part-time, wanted government, had another offer, etc.). There's no algorithm. It's a mixture of your 1L grades/relevant work experience/desired practice area/interview skills/"fit"/etc.

Basically, don't chalk it up to a school's "ability" to do well at OCI. It's your own ability to do well; the school will just help you get in the door at more places."

My evidence is only anecdotal because I only knew of the entering class of 2017, which entered during a relative increase in biglaw employment. That being said, anyone who says transfers don't do well generally is making a baseless statement. Hope that helps, OP.

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Generic1L wrote:I talked about this a little in another thread, so I'll do a copy-paste.

"GTown Transfer. Had a couple Biglaw offers. I came in with hesitation about my chances, but I literally don't know a single transfer (who went through EIW) who does not have a Biglaw offer (However, I know of transfers who opted not to do EIW because they were part-time, wanted government, had another offer, etc.). There's no algorithm. It's a mixture of your 1L grades/relevant work experience/desired practice area/interview skills/"fit"/etc.

Basically, don't chalk it up to a school's "ability" to do well at OCI. It's your own ability to do well; the school will just help you get in the door at more places."

My evidence is only anecdotal because I only knew of the entering class of 2017, which entered during a relative increase in biglaw employment. That being said, anyone who says transfers don't do well generally is making a baseless statement. Hope that helps, OP.
Also, for reference, I came from a T3 that has maaaybbeeee 5 firms at their OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Generic1L wrote:I talked about this a little in another thread, so I'll do a copy-paste.

My statement from earlier is evidenced on the fact that last years's transfers to my former t13 did much worse than the transfers the few years prior. Probably because biglaw summer associateships were down 25% across the board last year. This year it looks similar. So with the decreasing class sizes, it appears to my own anecdotal evidence that the first people hit hardest were the transfers.

lawposeidon

New

Post by lawposeidon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:39 am

Checked their stats and Good God they enroll 600 people a year?! https://www.lstreports.com/schools/gulc/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”