Transfer Prospects? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Transfer Prospects?

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:33 am

Currently have a 3.6 GPA from a strong T1 (median is about a 3.15-3.3). I am considering applying to NYU, CLS, Penn, UVA, Duke, Chicago and possibly GULC.

My GPA puts me around top 10% based on past years but I may be just outside of top 10%, depending how the breakdown goes this year. I’m hoping my grades from this semester will push me safely within top 10%, but you never know.

Long term goals are Fed clerkship (primary reason for wanting to transfer), and eventually AUSA after Big Law.

Scholarships aren’t a factor for me, as I will not be taking on any debt regardless of whether or not I can get a scholarship from another school.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Other schools I should consider? Honest opinion about transfer chances?

wishywashy

New

Re: Transfer Prospects?

Post by wishywashy » Sat May 19, 2018 7:36 am

Below is a quote from Nebby who put together some stats. Note that Nebby doesn't say these are guaranteed admit numbers, just worth an app numbers.
I would apply to everyone of them where your numbers give you a good shot and where you want to be, if you can afford the apps. GULC is worth an app just because they accept a lot of transfers.

Some may disagree with Nebby's numbers but they seem spot on from the previous transfer threads I have read.
Below is my summary of what stats make you competitive for transfer. These are not guaranteed stats, but they are competitive and worth the application.

Yale/Stanford
T14: Top 10%
T1: Top 5%
T2: Top 1%
TTT: Not happening
TTTT: Not happening

Harvard:
T14: Top 15%
T1: Top 10%
T2: Top 5%
TTT: Top of your class

Columbia/NYU/Chicago/Penn
T14: Top 25%
T1: Top 10%
T2: Top 5%
TTT: Top 1%

Michigan/Northwestern
T1: Top 15%
T2: Top 10%
TTT: Top 5%
TTTT: Top 1%

Georgetown
T1: Top 20%
T2: Top 15%
TTT: Top 10%
TTTT: Top 5%

Berkeley/UVA/Duke/Cornell:

These places either don't take many transfers and they appear to favor instate residents or home state residents (i.e., from California but currently in law school somewhere else). Generally, follow the guidelines for the CLS/NYU/Chi/Penn tier for these schools. Cornell is mostly a waste, though, so it's really not even worth including ITT but I did anyway.

nrthwst4now

New

Re: Transfer Prospects?

Post by nrthwst4now » Sat May 19, 2018 7:11 pm

I think the posted stats error a little on the high end but are good markers. Personally, I went from 5% at a TTT to a M/V/B school. Your origin school will help as well. Nothing to do but apply and see what happens. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”