Is it worth applying to transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it worth applying to transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Hey guys, I go to a T2 school and i have a 3.82 GPA in the top 5%... If im going to move and pay sticker I want a T14.. Is there any chance at a T6? or T3? or should I keep my transfer fee and not bother applying? Just looking for some thoughts.. Thanks Guys!

nrthwst4now

New

Re: Is it worth applying to transfer?

Post by nrthwst4now » Wed May 02, 2018 11:00 pm

If you finish the year in the top 5% of a T2 then I think you have a solid shot at anything outside of HYS. As for whether it is worth it to pay sticker that is a harder call. I jumped from a TTT to a T13 and am very happy with the decision. Good luck!

maddie99

New

Post by maddie99 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:29 am

nrthwst4now wrote:If you finish the year in the top 5% of a T2 then I think you have a solid shot at anything outside of HYS. As for whether it is worth it to pay sticker that is a harder call. I jumped from a TTT to a T13 and am very happy with the decision. Good luck!

Hi,

May I ask what school you transferred from and into?

aj1221

New

Post by aj1221 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:00 pm

I think you should apply broadly. The chance at t3 is remote, but at least for H isn't impossible. Probably close to 0 at Y/S. You should apply to any of the t14 where you would want to attend - you're close enough to their median GPAs that your odds are good enough to apply.

Where do you want to practice? What do you want to do after law school? Are you currently paying close to sticker/do you know if your current school is going to give you a scholarship bump?

Here's general thoughts:

- If you want to practice in the area you are already currently attending and you only want to work in big law then you are probably ok where you are.
- If you want to clerk, do public interest, big federal job, etc. (anything where T14 is basically a requirement) OR if you want to practice in a totally different area from where you're currently attending then it's probably worth it to transfer.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:09 pm

I would also try to negotiate. Scholarship or a better scholrship with your current school. With your grades you are a canadate to transfer out( which will hurt that school from a 1L success point of view.. meaning you are a big fish in their pond) and they may be willing to try to incentivize you to stay there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”