Did I ruin my chances? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
uclahopeful1313

New

Did I ruin my chances?

Post by uclahopeful1313 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:37 pm

Hey all.

I'm in a T1 school (low 30s) and I did well my first semester except for in one class. I am SO disappointed because we took a midterm and I literally got the highest grade on the class in the midterm and was expecting great things for myself and I have no idea what happened on the final but I guess I bombed.

I'm now ranked at 30% (huge bummer because if I even got one grade higher in that class I would be within the top 20%) and really want to transfer to UCLA/USC. I love LA and want to work there so badly.

I am working so hard this semester and am hoping I can get a 4.0 or somewhere close to that but I realize even achieving that can only pull me up so much.

Are my chances shot? My other classes were As. I have no idea what happened on that one test I am honestly super disappointed in myself :/

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Did I ruin my chances?

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 am

Thats why people who used to be on this board would always say never go to a law school with the intent of transferring because 1 bad exam out of 6/7 of them and you have no shot.

I told you this in the other thread, your chances at best are mediocre (assuming at 4.0 this semester). You need to really think about either continuing at your current school or dropping out.

uclahopeful1313

New

Post by uclahopeful1313 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:08 am

sparkytrainer wrote:Thats why people who used to be on this board would always say never go to a law school with the intent of transferring because 1 bad exam out of 6/7 of them and you have no shot.

I told you this in the other thread, your chances at best are mediocre (assuming at 4.0 this semester). You need to really think about either continuing at your current school or dropping out.
I didn't go to school with the intent to transfer! I thought I would love my school and unfortunantely I just don't

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:16 am

sparkytrainer wrote:Thats why people who used to be on this board would always say never go to a law school with the intent of transferring because 1 bad exam out of 6/7 of them and you have no shot.

Where did all of those knowledgeable people go?

aj1221

New

Post by aj1221 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:42 am

uclahopeful1313 wrote:Hey all.

I'm in a T1 school (low 30s) and I did well my first semester except for in one class. I am SO disappointed because we took a midterm and I literally got the highest grade on the class in the midterm and was expecting great things for myself and I have no idea what happened on the final but I guess I bombed.

I'm now ranked at 30% (huge bummer because if I even got one grade higher in that class I would be within the top 20%) and really want to transfer to UCLA/USC. I love LA and want to work there so badly.

I am working so hard this semester and am hoping I can get a 4.0 or somewhere close to that but I realize even achieving that can only pull me up so much.

Are my chances shot? My other classes were As. I have no idea what happened on that one test I am honestly super disappointed in myself :/
You need to meet with your professor for this class and figure out exactly what you did wrong. You should have done this as soon as the semester started. To get better and prevent future mistakes you actually have to learn from what you did wrong in the past - take that opportunity before you take your 2nd semester finals in a few weeks.

As to your question about transferring - no one has a crystal ball. Your best guess is to look at the 509 transfer reports, figure out where you would be GPA wise w/a 4.0 and then since you're in low 30s (vs say T60-100) your GPA can be closer to the 50/25% than the 75%. You have zero downside to applying (minus some wasted time if you don't get in), but currently focus on knocking this semester out of the park and then apply in mid/late May once you're done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:46 am

Ramius wrote:

Well most left to another similar website that one can google because this site is now owned by some less than respectable people

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:04 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
Ramius wrote:

Well most left to another similar website that one can google because this site is now owned by some less than respectable people
Thanks, I'm very interested where the knowledgeable people are providing advice.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:32 am

Perfect example of someone who is either trolling or has absolutely no idea what he/she is talking about LOL

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 am

uclahopeful1313 wrote:

I didn't go to school with the intent to transfer! I thought I would love my school and unfortunantely I just don't

Law school is a professional school, not undergrad. Does the school help your goals with regards to employment? Is it located in the state where you want to work ( and do you have good ties there) what is that schools reputation in that state? If you can answer positively to those questions then focus on your grades and networking/ job searching now. If not then reconsider your path/ goals/ objectives.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ikethegremlin

Bronze

Post by ikethegremlin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
Ramius wrote:

Can't find anything on google, can you provide search terms that might help?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:39 pm

ikethegremlin wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Ramius wrote:

Something something top-law-schools.com dot come

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:54 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
ikethegremlin wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Ramius wrote:

Something something top-law-schools.com dot come
I want to say for the record the mods shadow edited my above post to prevent the posting of that site. 10/10 mods, thanks a lot!

Frenk

New

Post by Frenk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Can you send me an email with it? throwawaythxtls@gmail.com Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Frenk wrote:Can you send me an email with it? throwawaythxtls@gmail.com Thanks.
Sent, check spam. Used a random email generator so it might be some crazy name

Frenk

New

Post by Frenk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:52 am

Appreciate it, thanks.

Cleverusernamehere

New

Post by Cleverusernamehere » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:22 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Frenk wrote:Can you send me an email with it? throwawaythxtls@gmail.com Thanks.
Sent, check spam. Used a random email generator so it might be some crazy name
Think you could send it to me as well? Rashka_slayer@yahoo.com

Thanks.

uclahopeful1313

New

Post by uclahopeful1313 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:30 pm

"You need to really think about continuing at your current school or dropping out"

GUESS NOT BECAUSE I JUST GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 pm

uclahopeful1313 wrote:

"You need to really think about continuing at your current school or dropping out"

GUESS NOT BECAUSE I JUST GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What were your stats?

uclahopeful1313

New

Post by uclahopeful1313 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 pm

notellewoods wrote:
What were your stats?

Hey! I will send you a message! Unfortunately I have not used this site very much and have no idea how haha is it possible on here? If you send me a message I will respond!

ladysansastark

New

Post by ladysansastark » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:28 am

when you google law school forums, there is another website listed.

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 am

uclahopeful1313 wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
What were your stats?

Hey! I will send you a message! Unfortunately I have not used this site very much and have no idea how haha is it possible on here? If you send me a message I will respond!
Hey! I actually don't know how to send messages on here either hahaha. Trying to figure it out :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

uclahopeful1313

New

Post by uclahopeful1313 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:31 pm

notellewoods wrote:
Hey! I actually don't know how to send messages on here either hahaha. Trying to figure it out :D
I can't figure it out either haha. It's ok I will just tell ya! T1 with ~3.75. Our rankings are not out yet so I'm not sure what % I will be because it has not been released yet but I had like a 3.58 first semester and was around 30% (and I got called in for my UCLA interview w those numbers). Got my second semester grades earlier this week, sent them in, and was called later that afternoon with the acceptance if that's helpful!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm

uclahopeful1313 wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
I can't figure it out either haha. It's ok I will just tell ya! T1 with ~3.75. Our rankings are not out yet so I'm not sure what % I will be because it has not been released yet but I had like a 3.58 first semester and was around 30% (and I got called in for my UCLA interview w those numbers). Got my second semester grades earlier this week, sent them in, and was called later that afternoon with the acceptance if that's helpful!
Congratulations

CALaw717

New

Post by CALaw717 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 pm

uclahopeful1313 wrote:
notellewoods wrote:
I'm a rising 2L at Hastings too and 3.58 is WAY better than top 30%. It's Top 15%. Here are the year-end numbers for Rising 2Ls at Hastings:
top 15% 3.575 and above
top 20% 3.536 and above
top 25% 3.432 and above
top 30% 3.389 and above
top 35% 3.357 and above

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”