Current Georgetown Transfer Student Taking Questions Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Current Georgetown Transfer Student Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm

I know that the transfer process can be very confusing and hectic at times so I wanted to offer a platform for people to ask questions of a current Georgetown 2L who transferred in last year. I was admitted EA and will answer any questions you have about the process or the school itself with candor and honesty.

Let me know what you want to know. Hope this can help some folks.

ladysansastark

New

Re: Current Georgetown Transfer Student Taking Questions

Post by ladysansastark » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:22 am

How did OCI go for you?

shincoo

New

Post by shincoo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:03 am

Thanks so much for taking some questions!

I would also be interested in hearing about how OCI went for you, whether you felt that firms took you seriously as a Georgetown student even having transferred. Would you be able to share what you are doing this summer?

In terms of journal write-ons, did you participate in the competition? Do you think it is worth it, or do you know anyone that has written on to law review?

In terms of classes, does Georgetown have any 1L requirements that they expect you to make up over the course of your time at the school? Do they hold spaces in classes for transfers?

Could you comment on the general reaction that Georgetown students have to you being a transfer? Do they seem to think less of you because you didn't spend your 1L year at the school?

Would you recommend that people live on campus in the dorm or look to live off campus? If off campus, where do most students seem to live in DC?

Overall, do you think that your decision to transfer has been worth it and would you do it again?

Thanks again for taking some questions, we appreciate your time!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:32 am

Op here.

1. OCI went very well for most transfers that I am friends with, including myself. Of the 10 or so transfers I know well and talk to often, 8 have big law jobs from OCI. Outside of New York, strong ties seem to be very important for transfers. I got a big law job through OCI (EIW here at GT)

2. The write on is grueling but worth it. Law review accepted a couple of transfers this past year. There are also a couple "prestigious" secondary journals that are very competitive. Georgetown has a lot of journals so if you do the write on, you will probably get on a journal as long as you aren't a terrible writer.

3. There are so many sections and it is such a large school that unless you stand up in class and declare yourself to be a transfer, no one ever really knows. After the 3rd or 4th week of school, you will forget that you are a transfer yourself. So to answer the question, other students don't really have any reaction to transfers that I've experienced.

4. I would suggest living on campus because it is so easy and quick to get to class. That is only my personal suggestion and living off campus works great for others. In fact, most transfers live off campus.

5. I am very happy that I transferred. I have done well academically here and made great friends. Also, the job I got at EIW, I could have never gotten from my T2 1L school. Very happy I came.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:34 am

Op again. Forgot to answer the question about 1L classes. Yes, if you haven't taken certain class you will have to take them here. I didn't have to do that but I do know people who didn't take civ pro or torts for some reason 1L year and had to take them here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shincoo

New

Post by shincoo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op again. Forgot to answer the question about 1L classes. Yes, if you haven't taken certain class you will have to take them here. I didn't have to do that but I do know people who didn't take civ pro or torts for some reason 1L year and had to take them here
Thanks so much for the response! Really appreciate the insight.

What did you end up taking your 2L year at Georgetown?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Op here. I took mostly doctrinal classes. Corps, evidence, tax, etc...

lawschoolgal1883

New

Post by lawschoolgal1883 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Do you know how transfers from TTT/TTTT schools did during OCI? How did you prepare for OCI? How helpful was the career services office? If you could, would you do anything differently ?

dwightwei

New

Post by dwightwei » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:30 am

Could you talk a bit about whether they accepted your credits from your 1L year? Or does your cumulative GPA start from scratch your 2L year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”