T3 to Fordham? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T3 to Fordham?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:38 pm

I go to a T3 school in New York. I am ranked ~20/150 with a 3.66 GPA after one semester. Obviously hope to improve on that this semester. MY UGPA and LSAT are weak, not sure if they really matter though. I am definitely transferring out as I want to work in or around NYC and my current school is useless for that. I am confident I can get at least one good LOR from a current professor. Do I have a chance at Fordham? If so, can I do better than Fordham?

bretby

Bronze

Re: T3 to Fordham?

Post by bretby » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a T3 school in New York. I am ranked ~20/150 with a 3.66 GPA after one semester. Obviously hope to improve on that this semester. MY UGPA and LSAT are weak, not sure if they really matter though. I am definitely transferring out as I want to work in or around NYC and my current school is useless for that. I am confident I can get at least one good LOR from a current professor. Do I have a chance at Fordham? If so, can I do better than Fordham?
Can't answer this fully without knowing your current scholarship. Also, it would be helpful to know which school you currently attend, as there's a big difference in outcomes between, say, Cardozo and St. Johns, which would impact the response as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:20 pm

I go to U Buffalo, no scholarship but in state tuition.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to U Buffalo, no scholarship but in state tuition.
Hmmmmm....that's tough. I have no idea what OCI is like at Fordham as a transfer, but only about 40% of Fordham grads get Biglaw. And since you'd be choosing to pay full freight, Biglaw is really the only option that makes sense as a good employment outcome. You might be better off at Buffalo doing amazingly well than you would be at Fordham. For instance, it might make more sense to start out in practice upstate and then try to move to a medium sized firm in the city after you have a few years' experience.

animalpeople

New

Post by animalpeople » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:42 pm

Transfers cannot participate in OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 am

That's a pretty large drawback that I was not aware of. I'm not really interested in Biglaw, aiming for AUSA. That being said, any NYC area school where transfers can participate in OCI would be an improvement, assuming I'm not paying full tuition. Considering St. John's as well. The alternative is staying and OCI with a local DA up near Buffalo and do a few years there and then try to move to NYC, but I really don't want to stay in Buffalo for personal reasons.

TransferAdvice18

New

Post by TransferAdvice18 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's a pretty large drawback that I was not aware of. I'm not really interested in Biglaw, aiming for AUSA. That being said, any NYC area school where transfers can participate in OCI would be an improvement, assuming I'm not paying full tuition. Considering St. John's as well. The alternative is staying and OCI with a local DA up near Buffalo and do a few years there and then try to move to NYC, but I really don't want to stay in Buffalo for personal reasons.
Transfers pretty much always pay full tuition. Only a few schools (WashU, GULC, and HYS) offer need based aid to transfers.

AppraisalWaisal

New

Post by AppraisalWaisal » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:00 pm

If oyu can get into top 10/150, I'd stay. Otherwise, transfer.

AppraisalWaisal

New

Post by AppraisalWaisal » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:00 pm

If oyu can get into top 10/150, I'd stay. Otherwise, transfer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:30 pm

OP here. I know this thread was originally targeted towards Fordham, but do I realistically have a shot at transferring to GULC? Kinda feeling out transferring at this point. Obviously I want to end up at the best school possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”