Need advice/ feeling very overwhelmed. transfer?oci?biglaw? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need advice/ feeling very overwhelmed. transfer?oci?biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi guys so I go to a TTT in NY I did very well my first semester (3.9) I would like to transfer to Georgetown. I was thinking of applying through their EA program but they only look at one semester of grades, I didn't do that well in undergrad ~2.8 GPA and a 150 on the LSAT should I still apply through EA or just wait for my spring semester grades and apply through regular action? My only concern is that I don't want to be at a disadvantage when applying through regular action since there will be more apps but I don't want to apply through EA if they will give more weight to my undergrad GPA and LSAT. Also, at my school to get law review you need to participate in a write-on competition, should I still do that even if I know I'm transferring? Just to write that I was offered a position there on my resume? Does Law review even matter that much for OCI for big law? I really would like a job in big law what do you think my chances are? Also for summer employment for 1L, what do you think I should do, that would put me in the best position for big law? Any advice is very helpful. Thanks in advance :)

kyle1978

New

Re: Need advice/ feeling very overwhelmed. transfer?oci?biglaw?

Post by kyle1978 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:08 pm

When transferring in law school, the school you're attempting to transfer into only cares about one thing: (1) YOUR CLASS RANK AT YOUR CURRENT LAW SCHOOL.

Whatever your undergrad GPA or LSAT was, doesn't matter.

If you want to transfer to Georgetown, throw an EA app at them. Good luck.

nrthwst4now

New

Re: Need advice/ feeling very overwhelmed. transfer?oci?biglaw?

Post by nrthwst4now » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm

3.9 gives you a good shot at EA. That may be worth it because if you pay the seat deposit you have something for sure. Then, if you happen to do well again, you can apply to better schools.

As for Law Review, I think it mostly doesn't matter, except for maybe clerkship applications if that is something you would even be into.

Some debate as to whether GPA or class rank is more important. Both factor in, but schools only have to report transfer GPA.

You should ED to Chicago for the hell of it. You may get, never know.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”