Is transferring really a good idea? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is transferring really a good idea?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 pm

I got to a school in the South, and I'm thinking about transferring to CCN or Berkeley b/c I did really well my first semester. But, I want to possibly work in ATL after graduation still. Will law firms in ATL hold it against me for leaving the area to go to a better school? I can articulate why I want to work in ATL (strong ties, family, love the city etc.), but will my act of transferring cause ATL firms to think otherwise? I want to transfer for professional reasons. And I'm also interested in the CA legal market due to significant ties to the region as well.

nrthwst4now

New

Re: Is transferring really a good idea?

Post by nrthwst4now » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got to a school in the South, and I'm thinking about transferring to CCN or Berkeley b/c I did really well my first semester. But, I want to possibly work in ATL after graduation still. Will law firms in ATL hold it against me for leaving the area to go to a better school? I can articulate why I want to work in ATL (strong ties, family, love the city etc.), but will my act of transferring cause ATL firms to think otherwise? I want to transfer for professional reasons. And I'm also interested in the CA legal market due to significant ties to the region as well.
I left my home market to go to Berkeley and was able to secure offers in both the Bay Area and the market I transferred from during OCI. I think it is easy to explain, especially if you have ties to the market you left. Just have story about why (i.e. great opportunity, too good to pass up).

snowball2

Bronze

Re: Is transferring really a good idea?

Post by snowball2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Law firms do not expect you to make bad decisions like giving up the opportunity to go to a highly-ranked school just because it isn't local. Harvard law grads don't all get jobs in Boston and Stanford grads don't all stay in the bay area. They go to prestigious schools because they can and employers appreciate that. You're worth more to an Atlanta employer as a T14 grad than a lower-ranked "local" school grad.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”