UF to GULC

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 320676
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

UF to GULC

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Finished 1L Fall at UF probably in the top 1-2% (they haven't released rankings yet, just going off of last year's class ranks). Background wise, I have a 2/3 scholarship at UF, and I want to work in BigLaw in NYC or DC. After spring grades, if I do as well as I did in fall I know I'll apply to Harvard/Columbia/NYU and likely attend. My main concern is whether or not Georgetown is worth the extra $150k in terms of improved odds at BigLaw in DC or even NYC. From the 2Ls at UF I have talked to it seems like BigLaw in NYC or DC would be a huge uphill climb, so I am leaning towards applying to Georgetown and going if Harvard/Columbia/NYU don't work out. Can any of you guys speak to the OCI process for transfers at GULC? I don't want to pay the extra $150k if BigLaw will still be out of reach.

sparkytrainer

Silver
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: UF to GULC

Postby sparkytrainer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finished 1L Fall at UF probably in the top 1-2% (they haven't released rankings yet, just going off of last year's class ranks). Background wise, I have a 2/3 scholarship at UF, and I want to work in BigLaw in NYC or DC. After spring grades, if I do as well as I did in fall I know I'll apply to Harvard/Columbia/NYU and likely attend. My main concern is whether or not Georgetown is worth the extra $150k in terms of improved odds at BigLaw in DC or even NYC. From the 2Ls at UF I have talked to it seems like BigLaw in NYC or DC would be a huge uphill climb, so I am leaning towards applying to Georgetown and going if Harvard/Columbia/NYU don't work out. Can any of you guys speak to the OCI process for transfers at GULC? I don't want to pay the extra $150k if BigLaw will still be out of reach.


Why GT over schools like Duke and UVA that place significantly better in biglaw than GT and place very well into DC? I rather stay at UF for that price and be top 2% than pay 2 years full boat at GT.

User avatar
Cicero76

Silver
Posts: 1281
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: UF to GULC

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:07 am

Your job prospects are at least as good in the top 5% of UF as they would be at GULC, if what you want is FL biglaw. It won’t be guaranteed, but if you’re a decent interviewer then top 5% should definitely be good enough in Miami—I can’t speak for other cities. If you want to leave Florida, that’s another story.

joefresh

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 9:05 am

Re: UF to GULC

Postby joefresh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Get into GULC through ED, pay 1500 for the deposit, then try and get into better schools via regular transfer admission.

Or apply Chiacgo ED (binding) because you'll get in ... but maybe you don't want to live in Chicago ... UChi will allow you to achieve your goals.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320676
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UF to GULC

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:33 pm

joefresh wrote:Get into GULC through ED, pay 1500 for the deposit, then try and get into better schools via regular transfer admission.

Or apply Chiacgo ED (binding) because you'll get in ... but maybe you don't want to live in Chicago ... UChi will allow you to achieve your goals.


My plan is to apply to GULC and pay the deposit, but I'm worried that if I don't get into better schools then worst case scenario I will go to GULC, and I want to make sure transferring to GULC will still be worth the money. I'm mostly concerned with how transfers at GULC fare during OCI and in regards to BigLaw in DC or NYC.

Generic1L

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 am

Re: UF to GULC

Postby Generic1L » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
joefresh wrote:Get into GULC through ED, pay 1500 for the deposit, then try and get into better schools via regular transfer admission.

Or apply Chiacgo ED (binding) because you'll get in ... but maybe you don't want to live in Chicago ... UChi will allow you to achieve your goals.


My plan is to apply to GULC and pay the deposit, but I'm worried that if I don't get into better schools then worst case scenario I will go to GULC, and I want to make sure transferring to GULC will still be worth the money. I'm mostly concerned with how transfers at GULC fare during OCI and in regards to BigLaw in DC or NYC.


My evidence is anecdotal. Transferred into GULC this past semester, and every transfer I know, who participated in OCI, received a biglaw position. I use the qualifier because I know a lot who didn't participate due to part-time status or public interest. I went through OCI myself and received numerous offers from firms.

I don't think the namesake holds you back, if that's what you're asking. However, I also don't think you should take this as "oh this one guy said GULC transfers all get biglaw." Those transfers I'm mentioning are all incredibly bright and social, and I wouldn't expect them to have any trouble interviewing. I believe your ability to do well in OCI boils down to your ability to interview, once you're through the door.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7650
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: UF to GULC

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
joefresh wrote:Get into GULC through ED, pay 1500 for the deposit, then try and get into better schools via regular transfer admission.

Or apply Chiacgo ED (binding) because you'll get in ... but maybe you don't want to live in Chicago ... UChi will allow you to achieve your goals.


My plan is to apply to GULC and pay the deposit, but I'm worried that if I don't get into better schools then worst case scenario I will go to GULC, and I want to make sure transferring to GULC will still be worth the money. I'm mostly concerned with how transfers at GULC fare during OCI and in regards to BigLaw in DC or NYC.


It's not. It would be a very bad decision. If you stay in the top 1-2% and massmail NYC and DC biglaw over the summer, you'll get bites from NYC and DC biglaw. In addition to that, you'll get a lot of bites from FL biglaw at OCI (and through massmailing). GULC isn't remotely worth it unless you have some compelling reason to be in DC or out of Florida. Even then, you can do better. Don't waste your money.



Return to “Transfers?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.