T3 to T1 Honest Odds Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
td0201

New

T3 to T1 Honest Odds

Post by td0201 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 pm

I just finished my first semester at a T3 school (ranked a little over 100) and placed within the top 10% (3.71 gpa). I'm very certain that I want to transfer as I have already seen and experienced some of the many disadvantages that come from attending a low-ranking school. I know I'd be giving up a spot on law review, my connections, my comfortability and familiarity with the school and area, and all of the other normal transfer consequences, but staying at a T3 in a city with so many other higher-ranked law schools seems useless. I have always been interested in Georgetown and am contemplating applying for their EA. After reading a lot of these forums, however, I see that in order to realistically be considered, I should be in the top 1-2% of my class, which I am not. I've done a ton of research on these forums and have read a lot of people's advice and opinions, so I'd love to hear everyone's honest thoughts on my situation. Should I wait for Georgetown regular decision and get my grades up, or try EA? Should I even transfer at all?

nrthwst4now

New

Re: T3 to T1 Honest Odds

Post by nrthwst4now » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 pm

I transferred from a similarly ranked school and think you have nothing to lose by applying. Anecdotally, I had about a 3.8 after the first semester then applied to GULC EA but did not get in (although others with slightly lower GPAs did). But you should still apply because all they do is roll over your application to regular decision if you don't get in EA (I got in at that point). I also got into a few other highly ranked schools. I think if you are top 10% at a school like that you have a shot. The closer to top 5% the more options you will have.

Check out the ABA website, start getting your letters early on so you don't have to worry about it during finals.

One other thing to consider is $$$. You will have to pay sticker at your new school and your current school may give you extra to stay or based on excellent grades at the end of the year...

td0201

New

Post by td0201 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:I transferred from a similarly ranked school and think you have nothing to lose by applying. Anecdotally, I had about a 3.8 after the first semester then applied to GULC EA but did not get in (although others with slightly lower GPAs did). But you should still apply because all they do is roll over your application to regular decision if you don't get in EA (I got in at that point). I also got into a few other highly ranked schools. I think if you are top 10% at a school like that you have a shot. The closer to top 5% the more options you will have.

Check out the ABA website, start getting your letters early on so you don't have to worry about it during finals.

One other thing to consider is $$$. You will have to pay sticker at your new school and your current school may give you extra to stay or based on excellent grades at the end of the year...
Thank you! Do you mind if I ask where you ended up transferring to? After doing well this semester I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I've also realized that transferring to a much better school is a real possibility.

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:55 pm

td0201 wrote:
nrthwst4now wrote:I transferred from a similarly ranked school and think you have nothing to lose by applying. Anecdotally, I had about a 3.8 after the first semester then applied to GULC EA but did not get in (although others with slightly lower GPAs did). But you should still apply because all they do is roll over your application to regular decision if you don't get in EA (I got in at that point). I also got into a few other highly ranked schools. I think if you are top 10% at a school like that you have a shot. The closer to top 5% the more options you will have.

Thank you! Do you mind if I ask where you ended up transferring to? After doing well this semester I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I've also realized that transferring to a much better school is a real possibility.
I applied ED to GULC with a 3.5 in top 10% and got in ... everyone i know in top 10% got in.
Where are you getting the top 1-2% figure? Read the super long "how to transfer" post from like 2009 on this forum. If you're in the top 10% you have a shot at T14-T7. T6 you'll need 5%.

I don't subscribe to the idea that gpa determines transferability ... I think class rank is more important. top 10% is the worst that is needed.

Edit: I would bet a lot of money you'll get into GULC ED ... 100% apply. It's not even binding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”