Chances at Y/H, Columbia, and UVA Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
YALEhopeful

New

Chances at Y/H, Columbia, and UVA

Post by YALEhopeful » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Hey everyone,

Just got grades back and got 3 A+s and an A. My current school is T40-60. My gpa is a 4.0 because A+s just count as As for gpa purposes. Each professor gives between 1 and 3 A+s and 3 people is about 5% of a section. The professor in the class in which I got the A only gives out 1 A+. I always joked that I would transfer to Yale if I did well my 1L year but now I think it might actually be a possibility. Also interested in Harvard, Columbia, and UVA. What are my chances?

Thanks

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Chances at Y/H, Columbia, and UVA

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Yale generally only takes a handful of transfers, pretty exclusively from t13 schools. So don't set your sights on Yale because you aren't getting in. Otherwise, you should apply to transfer a little more broadly in the t13 given how idiosyncratic transferring can be.

It might be worthwhile to pursue an ED program like Chicago ED where you only need one semester of grades.

Edit: Looking at Yale's 509, last year they had 8 transfers. 6 were from the formerly t14 schools: Cornell, Georgetown, Harvard, Upenn, and Berkeley. They also took 1 person from Uconn and 1 from UT. So pretty exclusively a t13 list with the single Uconn person being an outlier.
Last edited by sparkytrainer on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YALEhopeful

New

Post by YALEhopeful » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Yale generally only takes a handful of transfers, pretty exclusively from t13 schools. So don't set your sights on Yale because you aren't getting in. Otherwise, you should apply to transfer a little more broadly in the t13 given how idiosyncratic transferring can be.

It might be worthwhile to pursue an ED program like Chicago ED where you only need one semester of grades.
I’m perfectly content at the school I’m at now and on a near full ride. I would only consider transferring to the schools listed because I believe transferees don’t get scholarships, right?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 pm

YALEhopeful wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Yale generally only takes a handful of transfers, pretty exclusively from t13 schools. So don't set your sights on Yale because you aren't getting in. Otherwise, you should apply to transfer a little more broadly in the t13 given how idiosyncratic transferring can be.

I’m perfectly content at the school I’m at now and on a near full ride. I would only consider transferring to the schools listed because I believe transferees don’t get scholarships, right?
This... Makes no sense. Why would you transfer somewhere because they give no transfer aid?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Nebby wrote:
YALEhopeful wrote:

This... Makes no sense. Why would you transfer somewhere because they give no transfer aid?
I presume they mean those are the only schools they consider worth sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YALEhopeful

New

Post by YALEhopeful » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Those are the only schools I would pay sticker at, yea.

Yeezus Wept

New

Post by Yeezus Wept » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Yale took a transfer from non-T14 two years ago as well. They also give you need based aid to transfers, which can be very significant depending on your personal and parental situation.

Saying "don't even bother applying lol" is stupid. No one is really sure how they make their selections, and it's true most of their transfers come from top schools, but it's worth the shot.

I believe Harvard gives out need based aid to transfers as well, but I'm not entirely sure.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm

You have pretty good chances everywhere but Yale if you're #1, and great chances everywhere but Yale and Harvard if you're slightly below that.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 am

YALEhopeful wrote:Those are the only schools I would pay sticker at, yea.
So you would pay sticker at UVA, but not Duke? Or Penn? Or NYU?

I'm not 100% convinced that transferring is the right call (depending on your career goals), but you've drawn a weird, arbitrary line in the sand here.

YALEhopeful

New

Post by YALEhopeful » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
YALEhopeful wrote:Those are the only schools I would pay sticker at, yea.
So you would pay sticker at UVA, but not Duke? Or Penn? Or NYU?

I'm not 100% convinced that transferring is the right call (depending on your career goals), but you've drawn a weird, arbitrary line in the sand here.
I have personal reasons for preferring uva. I’m not gung ho about transferring so I’m picky about the schools I would transfer to.

Just wanted to know my odds at the schools I listed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”