transfer chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ladysansastark

New

transfer chances

Post by ladysansastark » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:47 am

Hello. I am at a T50-T60. I just received first semester grades and have a 3.92. School only calculates rank at the end of the year. The cut-off last year for top 15% was 3.61. What are my transfer chances at Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, Harvard, Georgetown, Columbia, UChicago? Should I do early action at Georgetown or Chicago?

Nebby

Diamond

Re: transfer chances

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:39 pm

ladysansastark wrote:Hello. I am at a T50-T60. I just received first semester grades and have a 3.92. School only calculates rank at the end of the year. The cut-off last year for top 15% was 3.61. What are my transfer chances at Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, Harvard, Georgetown, Columbia, UChicago? Should I do early action at Georgetown or Chicago?
You have stats to get into T6.

Don't ED Chicago.

Where do you want to work? What type of work? Do you currently have a scholarship?

ever197

New

Post by ever197 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:31 pm

I disagree with the Chicago comment. If you want to go to Chicago ED Chicago. I did and I could not be happier.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:51 pm

ever197 wrote:I disagree with the Chicago comment. If you want to go to Chicago ED Chicago. I did and I could not be happier.
Samesies. OP I was in almost the exact same situation, feel free to PM.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:09 pm

toast and bananas wrote:
ever197 wrote:I disagree with the Chicago comment. If you want to go to Chicago ED Chicago. I did and I could not be happier.
Samesies. OP I was in almost the exact same situation, feel free to PM.
They literally listed schools all over the country. It would be dumb to ED Chicago if it isn't top choice. Obviously, it might not be since they also included Harvard, CLS, NYU, and Stanford. All which offer different outcomes over Chicago.

If OP wants to work in Chicago, then ED Chicago. If not, then don't. Pretty simple.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Nebby wrote:
If OP wants to work in Chicago, then ED Chicago. If not, then don't. Pretty simple.
:roll:

ladysansastark

New

Post by ladysansastark » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Hello. Thanks for all the advice! I currently have a half scholarship. I'm hoping to practice in big law in the bay area or NYC. I'm hoping to apply across the board to T14 because any T14 would give me better employment options than my current institution.
I'm also worried about spring semester grades, and not doing as well, and not being able to transfer. EA now on basis of just first semester might be less risky. I'm sure there are many out there who did worse second semester and were no longer able to transfer.

fixmybrain

New

Post by fixmybrain » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 am

If you're 100% set on transferring, please disregard, but you've got the grades to make Hastings work for generic biglaw (provided SF>>>>>>>NYC for your location). I'm still there with an SA through OCI with similar 1L GPA, having been a dogshit interviewer. The school gave out extra scholarship money for 2L's in our grade range who stuck around, so if you're at all worried about your debt load, it's worth thinking about. Feel free to DM; I'll give whatever info I can, either here or in person.

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:33 am

fixmybrain wrote:If you're 100% set on transferring, please disregard, but you've got the grades to make Hastings work for generic biglaw (provided SF>>>>>>>NYC for your location). I'm still there with an SA through OCI with similar 1L GPA, having been a dogshit interviewer. The school gave out extra scholarship money for 2L's in our grade range who stuck around, so if you're at all worried about your debt load, it's worth thinking about. Feel free to DM; I'll give whatever info I can, either here or in person.
100% agree with this—consider that you could make the current school work quite well, or, wait to apply for transfer with many more options. I was in the same situation after 1st semester last year, and very worried that I would not be able to repeat in the spring, so considered ED to Chicago. I encourage you to wait, because many people transferred to Berkeley last year with lower stats than that, and two transferred to Harvard. For those who stayed, the scholy bump was considerable. I think that OCI when you transfer is rough and makes it hard to secure a SA position for 2L. Finishing 1L in the top 10% gives you great employment prospects, IMHO.

Congrats on having a great 1st semester!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:38 am

I would go to Harvard and spend the next 2 years laughing if I were you.

I know Chicago ED is "binding" but like .... how "binding" is it really? By the time he gets in there, he'll have his second semester grades and will know if they've fallen off a cliff or not. Maybe he could just say no thanks to Chiacgo if that happens? Serious thought.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:43 am

joefresh wrote:I would go to Harvard and spend the next 2 years laughing if I were you.

I know Chicago ED is "binding" but like .... how "binding" is it really? By the time he gets in there, he'll have his second semester grades and will know if they've fallen off a cliff or not. Maybe he could just say no thanks to Chiacgo if that happens? Serious thought.
I know that everyone's Contracts class convinces them that agreements are never enforceable, but this is a horrible idea. Admissions departments talk to one another and will withdraw offers for people who try to pull dick moves like this.

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
joefresh wrote:I would go to Harvard and spend the next 2 years laughing if I were you.

I know that everyone's Contracts class convinces them that agreements are never enforceable, but this is a horrible idea. Admissions departments talk to one another and will withdraw offers for people who try to pull dick moves like this.
Taken out cuz it was wrong, sry
Last edited by joefresh on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:45 pm

No, actually, schools take this very seriously. Of course they can't make you go to Chicago if you change your mind, but if you accept an early decision offer from Chicago you can't then go to a different school instead. It's Chicago or don't transfer at that point. (They can check whether you get accepted elsewhere and other schools will pull their acceptances if they find out you were already accepted somewhere else ED.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:58 pm

joefresh wrote:How about .... "I can't live in Chicago anymore cuz my spouse lives in Boston... what else do you want from me? Circumstances changed I'm sorry"
In addition to what Nony said, that was the world's flimsiest excuse.

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Ah, fair enough; my bad

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”