Any $$ for transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any $$ for transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 am

I currently attend UF law and am looking to transfer to UM. I turned down a full scholarship-plus stipend offer from UM last year. My 1L grades were decent, 3.53, but not amazing. I really want to go back to Miami ASAP, but will not be able to leave my full scholarship at UF if it means paying sticker at UM. Does anyone have any information about how UM treats transfers, especially when they're coming from a higher ranked school?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Any $$ for transfer?

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 am

Stay at UF, and just work tirelessly on getting a job in Miami after graduation.

You've made good calls to this point. Don't stop now. Transferring to UM would be a horrible decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 am

Not extremely concerned about getting a job in Miami after graduation. I have tons of ties/connections, it's my hometown. Given my current familial circumstances it's pretty important for me to be home right now. I know it's not the best move academically.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 am

Not extremely concerned about getting a job in Miami after graduation. I have tons of ties/connections, it's my hometown. Given my current familial circumstances it's pretty important for me to be home right now. I know it's not the best move academically.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:33 am

You're not going to get a tuition discount if you transfer from UF to UM, so you'll be paying out of the nose to go to UM for 2L and 3L year. Even with your family connections, that's a bad move.

Keep your full ride at UF, and you'll be back in Miami before you know it. If you somehow manage a full ride at UM for 2L and 3L year, then go ahead. But that's exceedingly unlikely to happen, so don't transfer unless you are paying the same for UM as you would for UF.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not extremely concerned about getting a job in Miami after graduation. I have tons of ties/connections, it's my hometown. Given my current familial circumstances it's pretty important for me to be home right now. I know it's not the best move academically.
If it's an emergency sort of deal, just talk to the admin and take a year off (or however long you need). Law school will be there. But don't transfer if you're not getting a full ride at UM. You've got a great setup where you are.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I currently attend UF law and am looking to transfer to UM. I turned down a full scholarship-plus stipend offer from UM last year.
Why did you turn down this offer last year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”