1l summer as a transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LouisdePointeduLac

New

1l summer as a transfer

Post by LouisdePointeduLac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:08 am

Hi everyone. I don’t like to bug the forum for questions because most of the answers have already been answered somewhere in the forum, but I have one that I can not find an answer to. I just got back my first semester grades and I’m highly considering transferring. I’d prefer to apply to schools that have EA but I will most likely apply to some regular decision ones as well. Here comes my issue. I don’t have a perfered market. I know it is important to work your 1l summer in the market that you want to get a job in for 2l summer and beyond. I’m looking to transfer to schools in the DC market, Atlanta(grew up in the south near by for ties), and Philadelphia. Should I just apply and attempt to have a job in each of them? Also as you know regular decision transfers aren’t made until late into the summer so how does that work? If the answer is as simple as I should just focus on one market I apologize for wasting everyone’s time. Thank you in advance!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: 1l summer as a transfer

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:21 pm

I think it helps to do 1L summer in the location or region where you want to be, but it's certainly not required. I have plenty of friends who went abroad 1L summer or who worked in different locations or fields from where they ultimately intended to work. I did both my summers in Boston biglaw--and now I'm a public defender in South Carolina--and I transferred to a school in New York.

I think if you transfer up to a T14 or perhaps T20, the schools usually have the name recognition and alumni networks/other connections and the fellowship money/resources to launch you out to wherever you're interested in going, as long as you also make the effort to search for positions if they're out of market. That was a big draw for me to NYU. I knew I'd have a better shot of getting back South from NYU than from BC. I'd suggest applying to transfer to whatever schools you want to attend and have the grades to have a shot at. I would think of yourself as market-flexible rather than market-flaky.

Regular decision does require some flexibility, but not as much in terms of job market--more financially and in terms of your housing/moving situation. (though some schools don't let transfers participate in OCI so be careful of that). At OCI, you'll get most of the same questions as the students who started at the institution, about your past work experience and your 1L summer job and your interests in their firm, etc., but you'll also get a few questions about why you transferred (and why that school). Admissions-wise, you usually hear from schools between late June and late July--I applied late, but knew mid-July--and then you have a month or so to get ready for OCI, do journal write-on competition, pick your classes, find housing, etc. A lot of transfers to NYU, ended up living in campus housing for 2L. Georgetown also has student housing (assuming that's what you mean by DC), though I'm not sure what the availability is for transfers. Not sure about Penn or Emory, assuming those are the schools you're thinking about?
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouisdePointeduLac

New

Post by LouisdePointeduLac » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:06 am

Thank you so much for your reply! It gives me some pretty good insight into what is ahead of me. It is nice to hear that you were kind of all over the map. Thanks again!!!

sdancer89

New

Post by sdancer89 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 am

I also transferred. It is sort of a strange summer since you're not quite sure where you're going to end up at the end for school. My 1L school was in the Mountain West, I had a GULC EA acceptance, and planned to apply to other schools after second semester grades. I ended up spending 1L summer back in the Bay Area where I'd lived during college and after. Somewhat like you, I had a few market preferences and had no idea where I'd end up after the transfer, so just picked a place for summer where I had an interest in ending up in. So, I knew I was going to end up moving somewhere-- I just wasn't quite sure where I was going to move. Ultimately, I ended up at Berkeley, so it was just a matter of getting my stuff moved since I was already there for the summer.

Fast-forward to now and I'm working as a PD in a different market than both schools I went to that I likely wouldn't have had access to without the transfer. I think it helps to spend 1L summer somewhere where you would be interested in ending up, but don't necessarily assume that it will close off your ability to end up somewhere else after.

The end of summer and figuring out where you're moving tends to be a little chaotic, but it's totally do-able.

LouisdePointeduLac

New

Post by LouisdePointeduLac » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Thank you as well! I thought it was at least a good idea to be in one of the markets that you want to work in. While it does seem like it might be somewhat choatic both of you have greatly eased my mind on the matter. Thank you both!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”