strikeout after transfer - Really disappointing Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawdude500

New

strikeout after transfer - Really disappointing

Post by Lawdude500 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:44 am

Transferred to a T-14, had two callbacks and rejected from both, massmailed and got no-responses/rejections on all of them (also mailed a lot of the under 150 vault firms). It's been a tough process, kind of been dragging this around with me throughout the semester. Been reading the 3L job market thread and midlaw posts and feeling very disappointed and worried. At this point career adviser says to focus on finals and target midlaw during the Spring (while also maybe cultivating some relationships now and trying to turn them into offers next semester).

I like to hope that not going to biglaw is for the best (at least that's what I tell myself). Finals are coming up and I just feel like I can't get any work done, most of the people I know (and good amount of the transfers) don't have to worry about work, or at the very least have their 2L summer all wrapped up. Man it just feel pretty rotten, supposedly was pretty close on one of the callbacks.

As far as what to do now, is the advice of my career adviser on par with TLS wisdom at this point? Are there any success stories from others who were in a similar situation?

Thanks

Bubbles1012

Bronze

Re: strikeout after transfer - Really disappointing

Post by Bubbles1012 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:24 am

I got my SA really late in the game last year and I'm not going back to my summer firm (traded up). While it was big law, I think you can trade up from midlaw, and people really do get midlaw in the Spring (three of my friends did). Also, people lateral from midlaw to biglaw all the time.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:28 am

I'm sorry things havent worked out exactly as planned, but the good news is that there is still time! First, don't give up on mass mailing for biglaw! Plenty of people are hired annually in November. Second, even if things don't work out for 2L summer, you should try for in house internships and/or mid-law gigs. If you keep your grades up, it is very possible to snag biglaw during 3L. OR, for all you know, you find somewhere that's an even better fit for post-grad work.

I know things didn't go perfectly, but keep your head up! You will FOREVER have an impressive law school on your resume. Good luck OP.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:18 am

Might end up being a blessing in disguise. A lot of people hate working in biglaw. It's possible you end up with a job you enjoy.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm

You pretty much just described my fall to a T, so I'm in the same exact boat. Not much to do now except buckle down for finals period and network/mass mail. This first semester of grades will be pretty critical from what I understand so double down. I've also heard a fair number of 3L's getting big law late or lateraling in after a year or two, so just stay positive, keep grinding, and control what you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:You pretty much just described my fall to a T, so I'm in the same exact boat. Not much to do now except buckle down for finals period and network/mass mail. This first semester of grades will be pretty critical from what I understand so double down. I've also heard a fair number of 3L's getting big law late or lateraling in after a year or two, so just stay positive, keep grinding, and control what you can.
Yeah this just isn't true anymore. There really is no such thing as 3Ls finding biglaw positions, ESPECIALLY if they didn't SA at a biglaw firm.

But anyway, this happens to transfers every year. At my t13, only 1 of the 3 transfers I knew got biglaw, while like 70%+ of my class got biglaw. It has to do with the fact that these firms generally wouldn't even look at a candidate from the transfer's school to begin with, so it makes it harder than the classmates that were at the t13 for 1L year.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:21 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:You pretty much just described my fall to a T, so I'm in the same exact boat. Not much to do now except buckle down for finals period and network/mass mail. This first semester of grades will be pretty critical from what I understand so double down. I've also heard a fair number of 3L's getting big law late or lateraling in after a year or two, so just stay positive, keep grinding, and control what you can.
Yeah this just isn't true anymore. There really is no such thing as 3Ls finding biglaw positions, ESPECIALLY if they didn't SA at a biglaw firm.

But anyway, this happens to transfers every year. At my t13, only 1 of the 3 transfers I knew got biglaw, while like 70%+ of my class got biglaw. It has to do with the fact that these firms generally wouldn't even look at a candidate from the transfer's school to begin with, so it makes it harder than the classmates that were at the t13 for 1L year.
Geez, let a man dream... While sparky's correct and it will be extremely tough to land big law now, the advice remains the same. Focus on your grades and keep hustling.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Some of the above posts are too extreme. This is obviously anecdata, but in the past year alone I've had two friends go from public interest summers to biglaw during their 3L year. One person's resume screamed PI (this person didn't even do 2L OCI), and then had a last minute change of heart during the first semester of 3L. This person is now working at a v20 firm.

The other person was a transfer student. Worked for the state gov't during 2L summer. Killed it grade-wise first semester of 3L and received an offer from a premier lit firm in NYC and some midlaw offers. Both individuals were at a lower T-14.

Yeah, 3L OCI is a crapshoot. Yeah, the odds of being hired are slim. But if I were you, I'd first focus on doing well this semester so employers don't look at your transcript and think "this person couldn't handle it at a T-14." Then, I'd start networking and bugging your CSO, professors, friends, etc like crazy to try and get interviews places.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Basically, listen to your career advisor.
Lawdude500 wrote: At this point career adviser says to focus on finals and target midlaw during the Spring (while also maybe cultivating some relationships now and trying to turn them into offers next semester).
Especially given the fact that most of your peers now have offers and are coming off of cushy summer positions, it may be easier than ever to achieve great grades via hard studying. Many students will be checked out.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheneryII

New

Post by cheneryII » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:31 am

Some Advice:
1) You may want to look at medium or smaller firms and try to do work in a field you would be interested in for 3L interviews and opportunities at bigger firms (if your totally set on Big Law).

2) Be persistent as well: get tons of facial recognition with OCS so when a recruiter asks for candidates, your in their head already.

3) Reach out to alumni at firms around your area for informational meetings, and develop relationsh (Depending on your school/how many transfers they take, you may find some transfer-graduates that will be more than happy to help (trust me I became close with a transfer-graduate attorney of my school at the firm I summered at and it was almost weird how much she had my back and helped me)

4) Also, broaden your geographic horizons (depending on your location and preference).

5) do well this year. I can't tell you how good it makes you look when you have a good GPA after transferring.

6) look at externships (if you can do this at your school) to beef up that resume (this will also help to get some experience obvi and may even get you a job).

7) BE GRITTY. you may not find a job right away but when there's a will, there's a way, and you gotta fight through all the BS and follow your dreams and do not let yourself be your own worst enemy. Good Luck!

Sorry for the rant, hope it helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”