Are "low median GPA" schools tougher to transfer from? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
germlegal

New

Are "low median GPA" schools tougher to transfer from?

Post by germlegal » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Or will class rank be more determinative? My school has a median GPA of around 2.74, tier 4 school. I found this list of 1L median GPAs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... GPA_curves

The possible motives for a low median GPA are discussed in this article: https://abovethelaw.com/2015/05/the-cru ... w-schools/

Apology if this has been discussed before!

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Re: Are "low median GPA" schools tougher to transfer from?

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Any particular reason you aren't going to a school you want to graduate from?

Edit: Assuming you've already started and aren't a 0L, no it doesn't matter as much, it's mostly class rank, your 1L GPA won't carry if you transfer.

germlegal

New

Post by germlegal » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Good to know, thanks. Would like to be closer to my home home.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:29 am

I actually disagree with what might be the prevailing view on this forum about what matters in transfer admissions. I think it is the raw GPA that's more important--not class rank. Class rank would be more fair as a metric across law schools, but the school you transfer to doesn't have to report your class rank on their annual disclosure. They have to report the mid-50 percentile band and median 1L GPAs, and they have to report your law school name (the latter assuming they take more than 5 transfers). I believe GPA is more reliable for this reason. Furthermore, some schools don't calculate or disclose rank at all. T4 schools know a lot of their students are going to transfer so, yes, I do think they set their median low to prevent the bulk of their students from having a viable transfer hope.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:43 pm

I agree with NoDay. I think the raw GPA is at least equally as important as class rank (if not more). Hell, I think the schools have to make at least some of their decisions before they even know the class rank of people applying.
NoDayButToday wrote:T4 schools know a lot of their students are going to transfer so, yes, I do think they set their median low to prevent the bulk of their students from having a viable transfer hope.
Eh, I think this is more to allow them to fail out students who likely won't pass the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTTTescapee

New

Post by TTTTescapee » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 pm

I can only speak for my transfer cycle but I think your raw GPA matters more than some people think. The ABA 509s were very helpful in giving me an accurate idea of where I would be accepted. I didn't get into any of the schools where my GPA fell below the 50th percentile even though my class rank was equivalent or better than other transferees which came from similar schools (at least from my research).

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:42 am

lavarman84 wrote:I agree with NoDay. I think the raw GPA is at least equally as important as class rank (if not more). Hell, I think the schools have to make at least some of their decisions before they even know the class rank of people applying.
NoDayButToday wrote:T4 schools know a lot of their students are going to transfer so, yes, I do think they set their median low to prevent the bulk of their students from having a viable transfer hope.
Eh, I think this is more to allow them to fail out students who likely won't pass the bar.
As a transfer I agree. They have to report median GPAs on their 509s( I think that is the form number) and obviously they want that number high. They do not report class ranks FWIW.

Also FWIW many of the students at the school I transferred to from TTT/TTTT schools (vs me from a T1) seemed like they were exceptionally smart compared to me and the other T1 transfers.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:53 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Also so they can revoke a large percentage of merit-based scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”