What to discuss in a Personal Statement Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to discuss in a Personal Statement

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi all I was wondering what are some topics or subjects that would make my application standout as a possible transfer student. I know that I should mention why I would like to transfer, and what opportunities the institution can offer to help me grow and vice versa, but I was wondering are there any taboo subjects? Would mentioning that I have a significant other in the school's city be out of bounds or would that help me? Would mentioning that I've applied before to the school (and got waitlisted) be to my benefit or no? Thanks for your help answering!

Hand

Gold

Re: What to discuss in a Personal Statement

Post by Hand » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:53 pm

I would discuss how you've always dreamed of being a transfer student, and point to you creating this thread 5 weeks into your 1L year as evidence in your PS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Lmao not a bad idea tbh

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:08 am

Grades first. You'll have a lot more to say in the spring--I wouldn't even think about your PS until April/May/June. I wrote my NYU PS the night before the app was due and that was fine.

(Sucking up to H and pointing out that I'd previously applied, and that I was a legacy, didn't compensate for my sub 25th percentile 1L GPA)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:12 am

Yeah, you’re not allowed to post questions here until you’ve got at least one semester’s worth of grades. Come back in January.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Transfers”