Transfer from NYU to Columbia/UChi Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer from NYU to Columbia/UChi

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 pm

-removed-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Re: Transfer from NYU to Columbia/UChi

Post by ladybug1989 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just finished my 1L year at nyu, around top 10% roughly( NYU doesn't rank). Was wondering if anyone ever considered the merits of transferring from NYU to Columbia/Chicago (sticker at all). My initial thought is probably not worth it but Columbia does have that prestige factor. I didn't bother applying to HYS bc of my underwhelming softs.
Well that was a mistake.

Why not apply and use the acceptance to leverage some money out of NYU?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:02 pm

ladybug1989 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just finished my 1L year at nyu, around top 10% roughly( NYU doesn't rank). Was wondering if anyone ever considered the merits of transferring from NYU to Columbia/Chicago (sticker at all). My initial thought is probably not worth it but Columbia does have that prestige factor. I didn't bother applying to HYS bc of my underwhelming softs.
Well that was a mistake.

Why not apply and use the acceptance to leverage some money out of NYU?
Ya, the only reason I could see to transfer in your circumstances would be to go to HYS or Chicago if you had a S.O. in chicago or something.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 pm

There's no reason to even consider transferring at Columbia or UChi (unless you're desperate to be in Chicago for some good reason immediately). You'd be giving up your grades to transfer. Those grades are more than worth the pretty much nonexistent prestige bump.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:41 am

I have a hard time seeing a benefit that makes this worth it unless you're desperately unhappy at NYU, can't take another two years there, and are willing to take a big risk and potentially sacrifice early clerkship recs and law review (assuming you made it) to make a lateral jump. Not going to try to persuade you one way or the other, but just some stuff to think about:
1) how would you explain your decision at EIW? (Or whatever CLS and Chi call it) Any transfer will tell you that this is one of the first questions they get anyway, but you're going to get some more puzzled reactions I think, if you do this, so you want to have your answer ready.
2) if L Rev is not an option at the new school, is that okay with you?
3) if you want to clerk, are you prepared to hustle big time with your 2L profs in case your 1L profs won't write for you? (My T1 profs told me they wouldn't write for transfers out)
4) Do you mind going through the rigamarole of making all new friends again at a new school?

You already know this, I'm sure, but it's just important to think through what you might be giving up by leaving, especially where there may not be as much to gain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”