Should I transfer to Georgetown? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I transfer to Georgetown?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Current school/stats:

Midwest TTT - 3.6 (top 15%)

Goals: want to clerk then practice big law in my home market (midwest) or New York

I have been accepted to Georgetown. I think I would get a better education at Georgetown and better long term opportunities but may be able to place better in my home market from my 1L school? Im thinking that GT may add name recognition that others don't have in my home market and give me value.

thoughts? also, why does everyone hate on Georgetown? Is it not worth considering?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Should I transfer to Georgetown?

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Is your current law school in the market you're targeting? (You write that your hometown market is "the midwest," but that's pretty broad. Is your current law school in a city (or close to a city) that you're interested in working in?

Do you have a scholarship at your current school? What's your current cost of attendance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 pm

OP here:

my current school is in my home market. i am on zero scholarship.. current cost of attendance is about $40k. School will not negotiate scholly.. already tried.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Does your 40K COA figure include cost of living, or is it just tuition?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 pm

my current cost of attendance including living etc is about $45k... at georgetown it would be about $75k

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:01 pm

don't see why you'd rack up 100k more

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:my current cost of attendance including living etc is about $45k... at georgetown it would be about $75k
So you'd pay $60K more total for Georgetown? I don't know. I suspect that the benefit of a GULC degree for your home market would be marginal. GULC would give you a better shot at NYC, though you'll likely struggle to get a big law gig out of OCI if your transfer. You'll have to scratch and claw and hope something comes through.

By the way, I don't hate Georgetown. Its problem is that it admits a ton of students (and a ton of transfers), and many of them end up without jobs. There's a decent chance you will be one of those students.

If I were you, I'd stay at my regional law school, forget about big law, and target mid-law firms that have hired from your school in the past. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 pm

OP here: it would be apprx $60k more to go to Georgetown. So the situation I'm going back and forth with is whether it is worth 60k to graduate from a school ranked 100 spots higher on US NEWS and more prestige etc... 60k isn't that much long term so I'm struggling with the decision

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: it would be apprx $60k more to go to Georgetown. So the situation I'm going back and forth with is whether it is worth 60k to graduate from a school ranked 100 spots higher on US NEWS and more prestige etc... 60k isn't that much long term so I'm struggling with the decision
I'd transfer. accident hit anon

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”