Mass mail

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327384
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Mass mail

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:14 am

How do transfers mass mail before knowing which school they will be attending? Should we use old school name? Should we wait until we know?

law9898

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby law9898 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:21 am

.
Last edited by law9898 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby Nebby » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:28 am

law9898 wrote:You don't. I don't mean to be blunt but you need to hurry up and just make the decision. You probably know what you should do already. If not, there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you.

Amazingly terrible advice. 0Ls shouldn't post here. OP can't "make a decision" if they've received no acceptances, and that doesn't start until late June and July.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Mass mail

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:30 am

Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:You don't. I don't mean to be blunt but you need to hurry up and just make the decision. You probably know what you should do already. If not, there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you.

Amazingly terrible advice. 0Ls shouldn't post here. OP can't "make a decision" if they've received no acceptances, and that doesn't start until late June and July.

Nebby, I get that it's not the world's most helpful post, but at least check someone's post history if you're going to call them a 0L. They're not.

(as to the comment - "there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you" - isn't that what the OP is doing in posting here?)

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby Nebby » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:33 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:You don't. I don't mean to be blunt but you need to hurry up and just make the decision. You probably know what you should do already. If not, there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you.

Amazingly terrible advice. 0Ls shouldn't post here. OP can't "make a decision" if they've received no acceptances, and that doesn't start until late June and July.

Nebby, I get that it's not the world's most helpful post, but at least check someone's post history if you're going to call them a 0L. They're not.

(as to the comment - "there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you" - isn't that what the OP is doing in posting here?)

I call them all 0Ls because when it comes out that they're not then it's even more damming. 0Ls have an excuse for bad advice, others don't.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Mass mail

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:46 am

That's just silly though.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3466
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby UVA2B » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:That's just silly though.


Using 0L as an insult is one of the more annoying things done around here IMO. Sometimes it's perfectly valid to frame a person's post, but too often it's just a lazy, "lol dumb 0L" joke that could just as easily be clarified when the person is incorrect or misguided. Telling someone, "That's not exactly how it works because..." with a short description as to why accomplishes so much more than tersely belittling them for something that might be off or dismissing a person's opinion by shutting them down as a 0L who just doesn't know anything.

As for the OP, I think you'd do best to wait and update your resume with your new school before mass mailing unless you killed it where firms would take you if you stayed. If you've done well enough at your current school where you'd be getting looks from firms with the old school's name, there probably is less reason to wait, but if you're borderline as it is, getting the extra name brand recognition on your resume could be worth the wait.

That's just my personal opinion though.

law9898

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby law9898 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:You don't. I don't mean to be blunt but you need to hurry up and just make the decision. You probably know what you should do already. If not, there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you.

Amazingly terrible advice. 0Ls shouldn't post here. OP can't "make a decision" if they've received no acceptances, and that doesn't start until late June and July.


How is it terrible advice to say don't massmail until you have decided which school you will be attending? I posted the way I did because I assumed the anonymous OP was the same OP from a different thread that was asking about bidding OCI at two schools if they haven't decided whether they wanted to transfer yet. So it made it seem like the OP had an acceptance and couldn't make up their mind.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby Nebby » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:51 pm

law9898 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:You don't. I don't mean to be blunt but you need to hurry up and just make the decision. You probably know what you should do already. If not, there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you.

Amazingly terrible advice. 0Ls shouldn't post here. OP can't "make a decision" if they've received no acceptances, and that doesn't start until late June and July.


How is it terrible advice to say don't massmail until you have decided which school you will be attending? I posted the way I did because I assumed the anonymous OP was the same OP from a different thread that was asking about bidding OCI at two schools if they haven't decided whether they wanted to transfer yet. So it made it seem like the OP had an acceptance and couldn't make up their mind.

There's nothing to indicate OP has any acceptance yet. I don't mean to be blunt, but you know what happens when you assume.

law9898

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby law9898 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:You don't. I don't mean to be blunt but you need to hurry up and just make the decision. You probably know what you should do already. If not, there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you.

Amazingly terrible advice. 0Ls shouldn't post here. OP can't "make a decision" if they've received no acceptances, and that doesn't start until late June and July.


How is it terrible advice to say don't massmail until you have decided which school you will be attending? I posted the way I did because I assumed the anonymous OP was the same OP from a different thread that was asking about bidding OCI at two schools if they haven't decided whether they wanted to transfer yet. So it made it seem like the OP had an acceptance and couldn't make up their mind.

There's nothing to indicate OP has any acceptance yet. I don't mean to be blunt, but you know what happens when you assume.


That's correct but the OP in the Bidding thread is the same person and said "For OCI, If I got into a transfer school but am unsure if will attend (paid deposit though)". The paid deposit though language made it seem like they had an acceptance. But I definitely see your point about the timing. I failed to remember the timing of the transfer process and posted in this thread like timing is of the essence. If it's not then yeah my post was a little brash.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby Nebby » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:01 pm

law9898 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:You don't. I don't mean to be blunt but you need to hurry up and just make the decision. You probably know what you should do already. If not, there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you.

Amazingly terrible advice. 0Ls shouldn't post here. OP can't "make a decision" if they've received no acceptances, and that doesn't start until late June and July.


How is it terrible advice to say don't massmail until you have decided which school you will be attending? I posted the way I did because I assumed the anonymous OP was the same OP from a different thread that was asking about bidding OCI at two schools if they haven't decided whether they wanted to transfer yet. So it made it seem like the OP had an acceptance and couldn't make up their mind.

There's nothing to indicate OP has any acceptance yet. I don't mean to be blunt, but you know what happens when you assume.


That's correct but the OP in the Bidding thread is the same person and said "For OCI, If I got into a transfer school but am unsure if will attend (paid deposit though)". The paid deposit though language made it seem like they had an acceptance. But I definitely see your point about the timing. I failed to remember the timing of the transfer process and posted in this thread like timing is of the essence. If it's not then yeah my post was a little brash.

I think it's safe to assume that OP here and there are different only because the OP of this thread hasn't said anything about acceptances, and even if so it's possible that they're waiting on other schools too since most don't start sending acceptances for a few more weeks.

law9898

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby law9898 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
law9898 wrote:You don't. I don't mean to be blunt but you need to hurry up and just make the decision. You probably know what you should do already. If not, there are plenty of transfers on this forum that can try to help you.

Amazingly terrible advice. 0Ls shouldn't post here. OP can't "make a decision" if they've received no acceptances, and that doesn't start until late June and July.


How is it terrible advice to say don't massmail until you have decided which school you will be attending? I posted the way I did because I assumed the anonymous OP was the same OP from a different thread that was asking about bidding OCI at two schools if they haven't decided whether they wanted to transfer yet. So it made it seem like the OP had an acceptance and couldn't make up their mind.

There's nothing to indicate OP has any acceptance yet. I don't mean to be blunt, but you know what happens when you assume.


That's correct but the OP in the Bidding thread is the same person and said "For OCI, If I got into a transfer school but am unsure if will attend (paid deposit though)". The paid deposit though language made it seem like they had an acceptance. But I definitely see your point about the timing. I failed to remember the timing of the transfer process and posted in this thread like timing is of the essence. If it's not then yeah my post was a little brash.

I think it's safe to assume that OP here and there are different only because the OP of this thread hasn't said anything about acceptances, and even if so it's possible that they're waiting on other schools too since most don't start sending acceptances for a few more weeks.


My bad. I shouldn't assume anons are the same. I was a little irked by two similar questions about transferring/applying to firms posted pretty soon after each other, in which neither gave away any personal information or needed to be anon. My responses to both of them are still the same: you probably shouldn't mass mail until you figure out your future plans unless you're already a stellar candidate at your current school. You also shouldn't plan on double dipping if it's the same market. Carry on.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby Nebby » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:43 pm

law9898 wrote:My bad. I shouldn't assume anons are the same. I was a little irked by two similar questions about transferring/applying to firms posted pretty soon after each other, in which neither gave away any personal information or needed to be anon. My responses to both of them are still the same: you probably shouldn't mass mail until you figure out your future plans unless you're already a stellar candidate at your current school. You also shouldn't plan on double dipping if it's the same market. Carry on.

I hate anon abuse too but the mods here do not value such concerns!

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Mass mail

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:56 pm

It is not anon abuse to use anon to ask questions about your chances/ask for job advice - I'm the anon abuse nazi and there's nothing wrong with posting the OP anon. (It doesn't provide a lot of info to get a lot of answers, but that's not the same as anon abuse.) If someone hasn't decided whether they're going to transfer yet they may not want to reveal that they're considering it. Also, mass mail and bidding aren't exactly the same thing. You can just relax.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327384
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass mail

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Op here. I'm talking about mass mailing, not oci. And Still waiting to hear back from schools- hopefully will hear soon

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Mass mail

Postby Nebby » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here. I'm talking about mass mailing, not oci. And Still waiting to hear back from schools- hopefully will hear soon

I think you could apply now and then reapply when you decide where you are going/or supplement your prior application

TTTTescapee

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 am

Re: Mass mail

Postby TTTTescapee » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:50 pm

When mass mailing we put both schools on our resume correct?



Return to “Transfers�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.