UMD law transfer to GULC Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
frenchlavender

New

UMD law transfer to GULC

Post by frenchlavender » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi,

I'm will be attending UMD law as a part-time student this coming fall but I'm thinking of transferring to a t14, specifically GULC. I'm thinking of transferring to full-time at GULC but I'm worried if they consider me as a weaker applicant because I was part-time in UMD.

I want to transfer to GULC because I don't really want to stay in the DMV area to practice. GULC is nationally known so my chances of getting a job after graduation is higher compared to UMD no matter where I move to(I think?) I also have the option to go to AUWCL but I prefer UMD, just cause their ranking is higher than AUWCL.

UMD is a T1, do you think my chances will be pretty high if I apply after fall semester and be a part of the 10% of my class. Let me know what you think. Thanks! :D
Last edited by frenchlavender on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBear

New

Re: UMD law transfer to GULC

Post by BigBear » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:01 pm

What are your career goals? The reason I ask is if you are top 10% at UMD you will have good firm opportunities in Baltimore as well a good shot at SA jobs.

Also, do not attend law school with the goal of transferring. You have no idea of knowing if you'll be in the top 10% and I think that may be harder than you think even at Maryland. GULC obviously has much more regional prestige but is also significantly more expensive. If you want to go to GULC I would recommend taking a year off and applying to GULC and GW.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:05 pm

I could be wrong, but even with the grades, I think it will be difficult because of the timing element. As a part-time student, you'll likely finish your required first-year courses during the second fall semester (at least this was the case at my school). So, by the time that second fall grades come out, the next semester will have already started. Full-timers don't have this issue since they'll get grades in May and the next semester doesn't start until August. I would contact Georgetown's admission department about this. Also, don't go to school with the intention on transferring because it likely won't happen.

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:15 pm

BigBear wrote:What are your career goals? The reason I ask is if you are top 10% at UMD you will have good firm opportunities in Baltimore as well a good shot at SA jobs.

Also, do not attend law school with the goal of transferring. You have no idea of knowing if you'll be in the top 10% and I think that may be harder than you think even at Maryland. GULC obviously has much more regional prestige but is also significantly more expensive. If you want to go to GULC I would recommend taking a year off and applying to GULC and GW.
Hi, Thanks for the info. The thing is, I already took the LSAT twice. The first time I took, there's this guy in front of me who kept hitting is pencil on the table. I reported it to the LSAT proctor, but he didn't do anything about it. I obviously don't want to tell the law schools that because that would seem like I'm making excuses. The second time, I didn't really get a good score.. it was because of family issues - my sister (lives abroad, I'm an immigrant) got diagnosed with epilepsy and mental illness. It was hard to function and study when I lived alone abroad and family was going through that tough time. I figured transferring was a better option just because it's kind of like fresh start for me and I think schools like GULC or GW don't like applicants taking the LSAT more than once.

Do you think UMD then is a good school if I wish to practice in Maryland? I want to focus on litigation and immigration law.

Also.. dumb question but what are "SA jobs", not sure what SA means. I literally just signed up on this website so please forgive my ignorance :)

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 pm

rwhyAn wrote:I could be wrong, but even with the grades, I think it will be difficult because of the timing element. As a part-time student, you'll likely finish your required first-year courses during the second fall semester (at least this was the case at my school). So, by the time that second fall grades come out, the next semester will have already started. Full-timers don't have this issue since they'll get grades in May and the next semester doesn't start until August. I would contact Georgetown's admission department about this. Also, don't go to school with the intention on transferring because it likely won't happen.
oh okay, thanks for the info. What if I transfer to part-time in GULC then? Would that make a difference? I know GULC accepts the first semester grades if you transfer I think for EA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:37 pm

frenchlavender wrote: Hi, Thanks for the info. The thing is, I already took the LSAT twice. The first time I took, there's this guy in front of me who kept hitting is pencil on the table. I reported it to the LSAT proctor, but he didn't do anything about it. I obviously don't want to tell the law schools that because that would seem like I'm making excuses. The second time, I didn't really get a good score.. it was because of family issues - my sister (lives abroad, I'm an immigrant) got diagnosed with epilepsy and mental illness. It was hard to function and study when I lived alone abroad and family was going through that tough time. I figured transferring was a better option just because it's kind of like fresh start for me and I think schools like GULC or GW don't like applicants taking the LSAT more than once.
You think wrong. Schools are only obligated to report the highest score. Outside of maybe Yale, they only care about the highest score.

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:25 pm

rwhyAn wrote:
frenchlavender wrote: Hi, Thanks for the info. The thing is, I already took the LSAT twice. The first time I took, there's this guy in front of me who kept hitting is pencil on the table. I reported it to the LSAT proctor, but he didn't do anything about it. I obviously don't want to tell the law schools that because that would seem like I'm making excuses. The second time, I didn't really get a good score.. it was because of family issues - my sister (lives abroad, I'm an immigrant) got diagnosed with epilepsy and mental illness. It was hard to function and study when I lived alone abroad and family was going through that tough time. I figured transferring was a better option just because it's kind of like fresh start for me and I think schools like GULC or GW don't like applicants taking the LSAT more than once.
You think wrong. Schools are only obligated to report the highest score. Outside of maybe Yale, they only care about the highest score.
got it. Also, personal input: AUWCL vs UMD. which one do you think opens more doors for me? Thanks.

BigBear

New

Post by BigBear » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:27 pm

frenchlavender wrote:
BigBear wrote:What are your career goals? The reason I ask is if you are top 10% at UMD you will have good firm opportunities in Baltimore as well a good shot at SA jobs.

Hi, Thanks for the info. The thing is, I already took the LSAT twice. The first time I took, there's this guy in front of me who kept hitting is pencil on the table. I reported it to the LSAT proctor, but he didn't do anything about it. I obviously don't want to tell the law schools that because that would seem like I'm making excuses. The second time, I didn't really get a good score.. it was because of family issues - my sister (lives abroad, I'm an immigrant) got diagnosed with epilepsy and mental illness. It was hard to function and study when I lived alone abroad and family was going through that tough time. I figured transferring was a better option just because it's kind of like fresh start for me and I think schools like GULC or GW don't like applicants taking the LSAT more than once.

Do you think UMD then is a good school if I wish to practice in Maryland? I want to focus on litigation and immigration law.

Also.. dumb question but what are "SA jobs", not sure what SA means. I literally just signed up on this website so please forgive my ignorance :)
What are your numbers? Maryland is a good school for getting jobs in Baltimore but their employment score is also around 50%. I wouldn't recommend attending UMD part time unless you know what you're planning to do afterwards, have a guaranteed job, or are going there with a substantial scholarship.

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:32 pm

BigBear wrote:
frenchlavender wrote:

What are your numbers? Maryland is a good school for getting jobs in Baltimore but their employment score is also around 50%. I wouldn't recommend attending UMD part time unless you know what you're planning to do afterwards, have a guaranteed job, or are going there with a substantial scholarship.

I have in-state tuition so it's def cheaper. Which one do you think is preferable, AUWCL or UMD? Oh, my GPA is 3.52 and my LSAT is 151 :(

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm

frenchlavender wrote:
BigBear wrote:
frenchlavender wrote:

I have in-state tuition so it's def cheaper. Which one do you think is preferable, AUWCL or UMD? Oh, my GPA is 3.52 and my LSAT is 151 :(
Do not go to law school right now. That 151 is not good and you have a decent GPA plus another retake. Get a higher score and more scholarship money from better schools.

American is a terrible school. Maryland is ok if you can go really cheap, like cheaper than just in-state tuition and want to work local PI or small law in MD

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”