ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 324916
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:33 am

In the top 10 percent at a T20 after fall semester. Weighing an early decision app to UChi.

Goals include federal clerkship and then BigLaw. These seem attainable from my current school if I maintain, but that's far from a guarantee. It would be nice to have the security of an ED admission.

Wondering how much of a long-term boost I would get if any from having a T6 on my resume. Also interested in whether UChi would get me access to more secondary markets than my T20.

Assume that transferring wouldn't increase my debt load at all. Worth it?

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:06 am

Taking your assumption as true, it will absolutely help you re: job prospects/geographic mobility. The decision to transfer becomes difficult when trading no debt --> massive debt. This seems like an easy call (if you get in). Other folks may have different opinions though.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby UVA2B » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:08 am

If the debt load is equal, and you really want clerkship followed by Biglaw, then it's absolutely worth an ED app. UChi will give you sizable boost in secondary markets and likely an even bigger boost in getting Art. III clerkships.

And you can always use the UChi acceptance to negotiate more aid out of your current T20 if that sounds preferable to you. I won't speak to chances of getting UChi, but it makes sense to give it a shot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324916
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:13 am

UVA2B wrote:And you can always use the UChi acceptance to negotiate more aid out of your current T20 if that sounds preferable to you.


Are you saying that an ED acceptance would leave me the option of staying? I was under the impression that I would be required to attend if admitted.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby UVA2B » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
UVA2B wrote:And you can always use the UChi acceptance to negotiate more aid out of your current T20 if that sounds preferable to you.


Are you saying that an ED acceptance would leave me the option of staying? I was under the impression that I would be required to attend if admitted.


You're right, forgot ED was binding. I was thinking along the lines of just a transfer app. Forget that part.

User avatar
CheddarArachnid

New
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby CheddarArachnid » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Its binding regarding other transfer apps, not for staying at your school.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby grades?? » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:09 pm

This seems like a no-brainer. Do it

Anonymous User
Posts: 324916
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:21 pm

OP here. I did not explain this well enough. I'm on a substantial scholarship at the T20 and would obviously be paying sticker if I transfer. I just wouldn't need to take out loans to pay for it. Does this change anyone's opinion?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby UVA2B » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I did not explain this well enough. I'm on a substantial scholarship at the T20 and would obviously be paying sticker if I transfer. I just wouldn't need to take out loans to pay for it. Does this change anyone's opinion?


Well, if your source of paying sticker is cool with it, then absolutely give it a shot. It's a lot of money, but if the cost to you is the same, UChi is a substantial improvement over your current job prospects (not that your job prospects are bad now, but the outcome would be easier/more assured).

User avatar
CheddarArachnid

New
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: ED Chicago or wait for spring grades?

Postby CheddarArachnid » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Wait and see if you can improve, Chicago will still be there after the second semester.



Return to “Transfers�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.