Quick Advice: Emory Law vs. Georgia State

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tmd445

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Quick Advice: Emory Law vs. Georgia State

Postby Tmd445 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:48 pm

I am interested in beginning my 2L year at one of the following two schools. My biggest fear is that I may get a job out of Emory that I could have gotten coming out of GSU (but with triple the debt). I interned this summer with a smaller firm and received an offer. Part of me is still interested in working at a mid/bigger sized firm. Part of me likes the atmosphere of a smaller firm. Is Emory really worth the tuition spike? Is leaving a practical safety net really worth the investment in prestige? I finished top 10% 1L year and won CALI awards for LWRA if that helps at all. Also, I'm not sure how pertinent this may be in making a decision, but I am a minority female. All [friendly] advice is welcome!

Emory Pro's:
Prestige
National Network
$51k yearly

Emory Con's:
EXPENSIVE
Less convenient

Georgia State Pro's:
Practical
Convenient
CHEAP $16k yearly
Brand New Facility
Strong GA network

Georgia State Con's:
Less prestige
Weak national network

foregetaboutdre

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Quick Advice: Emory Law vs. Georgia State

Postby foregetaboutdre » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Tmd445 wrote:I am interested in beginning my 2L year at one of the following two schools. My biggest fear is that I may get a job out of Emory that I could have gotten coming out of GSU (but with triple the debt). I interned this summer with a smaller firm and received an offer. Part of me is still interested in working at a mid/bigger sized firm. Part of me likes the atmosphere of a smaller firm. Is Emory really worth the tuition spike? Is leaving a practical safety net really worth the investment in prestige? I finished top 10% 1L year and won CALI awards for LWRA if that helps at all. Also, I'm not sure how pertinent this may be in making a decision, but I am a minority female. All [friendly] advice is welcome!

Emory Pro's:
Prestige
National Network
$51k yearly

Emory Con's:
EXPENSIVE
Less convenient

Georgia State Pro's:
Practical
Convenient
CHEAP $16k yearly
Brand New Facility
Strong GA network

Georgia State Con's:
Less prestige
Weak national network


If you're top 10% at GSU and an URM female I think you've got to be good just about any biglaw job in Atlanta. I transferred schools, but am not an URM. However, I noticed at my previous institution many URM students (that were not 10% or even close) got 1L SA's at biglaw firms (state flagship). I wouldn't do it if I wanted to stay in Atlanta tbh. If you want to venture out of GA, I'd consider it, but honestly I think you could get some interest even with your top 10% GSU URM status in other markets as well.

Honestly, It's too late now, but with your grades and a desire to practice in the south, I would have tried to apply to a T14 if you want biglaw outside of Atlanta.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Quick Advice: Emory Law vs. Georgia State

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:46 pm

I think you will be good to go at GSU with your stats. I don't think Emory is worth the $$$. Congratulations!!!!

Tmd445

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Re: Quick Advice: Emory Law vs. Georgia State

Postby Tmd445 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:46 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:
Tmd445 wrote:I am interested in beginning my 2L year at one of the following two schools. My biggest fear is that I may get a job out of Emory that I could have gotten coming out of GSU (but with triple the debt). I interned this summer with a smaller firm and received an offer. Part of me is still interested in working at a mid/bigger sized firm. Part of me likes the atmosphere of a smaller firm. Is Emory really worth the tuition spike? Is leaving a practical safety net really worth the investment in prestige? I finished top 10% 1L year and won CALI awards for LWRA if that helps at all. Also, I'm not sure how pertinent this may be in making a decision, but I am a minority female. All [friendly] advice is welcome!

Emory Pro's:
Prestige
National Network
$51k yearly

Emory Con's:
EXPENSIVE
Less convenient

Georgia State Pro's:
Practical
Convenient
CHEAP $16k yearly
Brand New Facility
Strong GA network

Georgia State Con's:
Less prestige
Weak national network


If you're top 10% at GSU and an URM female I think you've got to be good just about any biglaw job in Atlanta. I transferred schools, but am not an URM. However, I noticed at my previous institution many URM students (that were not 10% or even close) got 1L SA's at biglaw firms (state flagship). I wouldn't do it if I wanted to stay in Atlanta tbh. If you want to venture out of GA, I'd consider it, but honestly I think you could get some interest even with your top 10% GSU URM status in other markets as well.

Honestly, It's too late now, but with your grades and a desire to practice in the south, I would have tried to apply to a T14 if you want biglaw outside of Atlanta.


Thank you for the advice! That is extremely helpful. I am leaning towards GSU - I just didn't know if Emory's name was worth an extra 6 figures of debt!

Tmd445

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Re: Quick Advice: Emory Law vs. Georgia State

Postby Tmd445 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:47 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I think you will be good to go at GSU with your stats. I don't think Emory is worth the $$$. Congratulations!!!!


Thank you!



Return to “Transfers�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.