Transferring from SLU Law (full-tuition) to WUSTL ($$)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hands

New

Transferring from SLU Law (full-tuition) to WUSTL ($$)

Postby Hands » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Last edited by Hands on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: Transferring from SLU Law (full-tuition) to WUSTL ($$)

Postby NoDayButToday » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:08 pm

To me that sounds worth it, especially since they're giving you money.

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Postby imalreadyamember? » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:17 pm

Hands wrote:Hello,

I am looking for advice, criticism, or forewarning about the prospect of transferring from my 1L school, SLU Law, to WUSTL across town. I am from the Greater St. Louis area, so the transfer is admittedly less necessary for me than for someone who is certain that they want to relocate outside the Midwest following graduation. As it stands, I am receiving a full-tuition scholarship at SLU, and I have been offered $46,000 at Wash U. So, if I were to transfer, I would be looking at incurring approximately $80,000 of student debt.

Any advice?

WUSTL grad here. Are you saying you want to stay in STL after graduation? If so, I'd say it's not worth moving and starting over while taking on extra debt. Would you be on SLU L. Rev.? Other perks of having done well at SLU? Good job this summer and OCI prospects?

Hands

New

Postby Hands » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:47 pm

imalreadyamember? wrote:

I am looking for advice, criticism, or forewarning about the prospect of transferring from my 1L school, SLU Law, to WUSTL across town. I am from the Greater St. Louis area, so the transfer is admittedly less necessary for me than for someone who is certain that they want to relocate outside the Midwest following graduation. As it stands, I am receiving a full-tuition scholarship at SLU, and I have been offered $46,000 at Wash U. So, if I were to transfer, I would be looking at incurring approximately $80,000 of student debt.

Any advice?

WUSTL grad here. Are you saying you want to stay in STL after graduation? If so, I'd say it's not worth moving and starting over while taking on extra debt. Would you be on SLU L. Rev.? Other perks of having done well at SLU? Good job this summer and OCI prospects?

Hello and thank you for the input.

I am not on Law Journal at SLU and, if I stay, I will begin my 2L year in the top 21 percent. As far as perks lost, the only one that I can fathom is that I won't be able to claim my Academic Excellence award next year (for having received the top Constitutional Law grade in my graduating class) or put it on my resume.

I am planning to stay in STL. To be honest, vanity invariably factors into my consideration, as I was very disappointed in myself for having underachieved on my LSAT (164) and not been offered a viable scholarship from WUSTL in the first place.
Last edited by Hands on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:49 pm

Hands wrote:
imalreadyamember? wrote:

Any advice?

I am not on Law Journal at SLU and, if I stay, I will begin my 2L year in approximately the 21st percentile. As far as perks lost, the only one that I can fathom is that I won't be able to claim my Academic Excellence award next year (for having received the top Constitutional Law grade in my graduating class) or put it on my resume.

I am planning to stay in STL. To be honest, vanity invariably factors into my consideration, as I was very disappointed in myself for having underachieved on my LSAT (164) and not been offered a viable scholarship from WUSTL in the first place.

Are you 21st percentile or top 21 percent?

And is Wustl offering $46,000 a year, $46,000 for two years, or what?
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hands

New

Postby Hands » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:58 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Hands wrote:
imalreadyamember? wrote:

Any advice?

I am not on Law Journal at SLU and, if I stay, I will begin my 2L year in approximately the 21st percentile. As far as perks lost, the only one that I can fathom is that I won't be able to claim my Academic Excellence award next year (for having received the top Constitutional Law grade in my graduating class) or put it on my resume.

Are you 21st percentile or top 21 percent?

And is Wustl offering $46,000 a year, $46,000 for two years, or what?

I apologize for the miscommunication. I'm in the top 21 percent, and it's $46,000 over two years. So, with the scholarship, I'd be paying approximately $30,000 a year tuition.

Bach-City

Bronze

Postby Bach-City » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Any advice?

I personally think it'd be foolish to transfer. If you don't land in St. Louis BigLaw, that 80k in debt would be enormous. And firms are not going to evaluate you as a WashU student, they're going to be evaluating you as a SLU student. You wouldn't be helping your chances, and you'd be losing quite a bit of money.

Hands

New

Postby Hands » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:57 pm

Bach-City wrote:

Any advice?

I personally think it'd be foolish to transfer. If you don't land in St. Louis BigLaw, that 80k in debt would be enormous. And firms are not going to evaluate you as a WashU student, they're going to be evaluating you as a SLU student. You wouldn't be helping your chances, and you'd be losing quite a bit of money.

Why is this?

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:05 am

Hands wrote:
Why is this?

Because the only quantitative measure they have to compare you to the other people they are interviewing is your 1L GPA/class rank, which is from SLU, not WashU. Despite the minor boost you might get from now being a WashU student, they will still see you as top 21% at SLU.

Hands

New

Postby Hands » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:08 am

EncyclopediaOrange wrote:
Hands wrote:
Why is this?

Because the only quantitative measure they have to compare you to the other people they are interviewing is your 1L GPA/class rank, which is from SLU, not WashU. Despite the minor boost you might get from now being a WashU student, they will still see you as top 21% at SLU.

So you solely mean with regard to OCI's during my 2L year, not the job market post graduation.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:11 am

Hands wrote:
EncyclopediaOrange wrote:
Hands wrote:
Why is this?

So you solely mean with regard to OCI's during my 2L year, not the job market post graduation.

Yes! After you graduate, the only people that would know you were a transfer would be your classmates, professors, and anyone you decided to tell or want your official transcript for some reason.

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Postby imalreadyamember? » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:36 am

If you want to be in STL, being a SLU student is arguably actually better than being a WashU student. Or at least equal. Many, many SLU grads are high up in firms in STL. If you're positive you don't want to leave STL then stay.

Return to “Transfers�