Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sk6789L

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby sk6789L » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:30 pm

.
Last edited by sk6789L on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acr

Silver
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby acr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:32 pm

No, it's shitty to participate in your old school's OCI if you're transferring

I can't even think of a benefit to transferring (if you have a scholly) if you are more confident in your employment prospects from your current school than your transfer school
Last edited by acr on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UCLAHopeful16

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:16 am

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby UCLAHopeful16 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:33 pm

elvira22 wrote:I am in the top 7% at Brooklyn Law School and I was wondering whether I should participate in Brooklyn Law School's On campus interviews instead of Berkeley's? I feel as though I might have a better chance of getting interviews, being a top student at Brooklyn Law, than I would at Berkeley where I would be a transfer student. I also hope to work in New York after law school.


Very bad idea.

UCLAHopeful16

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:16 am

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby UCLAHopeful16 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:34 pm

Apply through Boalts OCI and mass mail NY firms. You'll be fine.

User avatar
sublime

Diamond
Posts: 17386
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby sublime » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:35 pm

It's a hardcore dick move.

bwh8813

Bronze
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby bwh8813 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:41 pm

elvira22 wrote:I am in the top 7% at Brooklyn Law School and I was wondering whether I should participate in Brooklyn Law School's On campus interviews instead of Berkeley's? I feel as though I might have a better chance of getting interviews, being a top student at Brooklyn Law, than I would at Berkeley where I would be a transfer student. I also hope to work in New York after law school.


Absolutely not. Don't transfer if you think Brooklyn give you a better chance at getting what you want (and probably saves you some money) than Berkeley. I'm not saying Berkeley isn't a better school for the long-run but it's shitty to try to use your old school for OCI to get a job but your shiny new school for your resume/bio. It's a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" situation.
Last edited by bwh8813 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFSpartan

Silver
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby SFSpartan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:44 pm

As others have said, this is a huge dick move and you shouldn't do it. You have excellent grades, and are almost assured to get an offer in NY if you massmail and apply through Boalt's OCI.

sk6789L

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby sk6789L » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:02 pm

.
Last edited by sk6789L on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estefanchanning

Bronze
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby estefanchanning » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:52 pm

elvira22 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree about it not being fair to my old school to take their job opportunities and then transfer. The main reason I as considering doing it was because it would allow me to stay in New York a little while longer and keep open the option to transfer to NYU or Columbia last minute, if admitted. I would hate to move out to Berkeley in time for their interviews and then be admitted to a NY school shortly after. I also think that if I will be admitted to a NY school, there is a large chance it will be after their on campus interview deadlines. So I am trying my best to keep my options open, while making the best choices for career. Ideally, I would have final decisions from every school at this point and wouldn't have to play these games. Unfortunately, Columbia and NYU are taking so long to get back to applicants that I am left in this uncomfortable position.


But those are the downsides to transferring. Moreover, Berkeley specifically forbids its students from partaking in any other school's OCI and considers it grounds for withdrawing their acceptance. Also, how do you think potential employers will react to finding out that you're using your old school's OCI? Personally I feel it's a reflection on one's character and may put you in an adverse position during interviews or when/if employers find out. Just play the hand that you are dealt. Accept Berkeley's offer, withdraw from your school, and see how things work out. If you find out from Columbia/NYU before Berk's actual interviews, then withdraw from Berk and participate in Columbia's/NYU's OCI. If the deadline has passed on that, then tough luck bro. You either stay at Berk and participate in their OCI or transfer to Columbia/NYU w/o having participated in any school's OCI.

Unfortunately that's the reality of the transfer game. If you try to go behind anyone's back, I can't imagine it turning out well. I've heard of schools going as far as reporting students to the bar association.

eyeofvigilence

Bronze
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:49 am

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby eyeofvigilence » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:57 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
elvira22 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree about it not being fair to my old school to take their job opportunities and then transfer. The main reason I as considering doing it was because it would allow me to stay in New York a little while longer and keep open the option to transfer to NYU or Columbia last minute, if admitted. I would hate to move out to Berkeley in time for their interviews and then be admitted to a NY school shortly after. I also think that if I will be admitted to a NY school, there is a large chance it will be after their on campus interview deadlines. So I am trying my best to keep my options open, while making the best choices for career. Ideally, I would have final decisions from every school at this point and wouldn't have to play these games. Unfortunately, Columbia and NYU are taking so long to get back to applicants that I am left in this uncomfortable position.


But those are the downsides to transferring. Moreover, Berkeley specifically forbids its students from partaking in any other school's OCI and considers it grounds for withdrawing their acceptance. Also, how do you think potential employers will react to finding out that you're using your old school's OCI? Personally I feel it's a reflection on one's character and may put you in an adverse position during interviews or when/if employers find out. Just play the hand that you are dealt. Accept Berkeley's offer, withdraw from your school, and see how things work out. If you find out from Columbia/NYU before Berk's actual interviews, then withdraw from Berk and participate in Columbia's/NYU's OCI. If the deadline has passed on that, then tough luck bro. You either stay at Berk and participate in their OCI or transfer to Columbia/NYU w/o having participated in any school's OCI.

Unfortunately that's the reality of the transfer game. If you try to go behind anyone's back, I can't imagine it turning out well. I've heard of schools going as far as reporting students to the bar association.


I doubt firm's will think you're trying to go "behind anyone's back" by interviewing at your old school's OCI. Your classmates definitely will not like it, and the conventional wisdom is that it's not the best thing to do, but as to being reported to the bar and all of that? Pshhh.

browniestasty

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby browniestasty » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:29 pm

I thought about this too but the more I thought about it the more I thought it was a horrible idea.

The legal biglaw circle really isn't that big. Do you really want to be known as a jerk to tens of people (Brooklyn kids that end up in biglaw) in that small circle? That's not even counting the recruiters who have to deal with the paperwork confusion.

amy2345

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby amy2345 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:40 pm

eyeofvigilence wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
elvira22 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree about it not being fair to my old school to take their job opportunities and then transfer. The main reason I as considering doing it was because it would allow me to stay in New York a little while longer and keep open the option to transfer to NYU or Columbia last minute, if admitted. I would hate to move out to Berkeley in time for their interviews and then be admitted to a NY school shortly after. I also think that if I will be admitted to a NY school, there is a large chance it will be after their on campus interview deadlines. So I am trying my best to keep my options open, while making the best choices for career. Ideally, I would have final decisions from every school at this point and wouldn't have to play these games. Unfortunately, Columbia and NYU are taking so long to get back to applicants that I am left in this uncomfortable position.


But those are the downsides to transferring. Moreover, Berkeley specifically forbids its students from partaking in any other school's OCI and considers it grounds for withdrawing their acceptance. Also, how do you think potential employers will react to finding out that you're using your old school's OCI? Personally I feel it's a reflection on one's character and may put you in an adverse position during interviews or when/if employers find out. Just play the hand that you are dealt. Accept Berkeley's offer, withdraw from your school, and see how things work out. If you find out from Columbia/NYU before Berk's actual interviews, then withdraw from Berk and participate in Columbia's/NYU's OCI. If the deadline has passed on that, then tough luck bro. You either stay at Berk and participate in their OCI or transfer to Columbia/NYU w/o having participated in any school's OCI.

Unfortunately that's the reality of the transfer game. If you try to go behind anyone's back, I can't imagine it turning out well. I've heard of schools going as far as reporting students to the bar association.


I doubt firm's will think you're trying to go "behind anyone's back" by interviewing at your old school's OCI. Your classmates definitely will not like it, and the conventional wisdom is that it's not the best thing to do, but as to being reported to the bar and all of that? Pshhh.



Why villainize a student who is left in limbo like so many others and trying to make the best of the situation. The student paid tuition at BLS the first year of law school like everyone else, yet cant reap any of the benefits of attending the school? Also, its obvious that the goal is not to take opportunities away from anyone else, but to make the best use of the resources available in a situation filled with uncertainty. If students are reported to the bar association for this, then Columbia and NYU should not be allowed to accept any students in late August, which they do. Under your reasoning, any student who accepts admission later in the game will be reported to the bar association because they will likely already have participated in another school's OCI. Its absurd to say that anyone who is waiting to hear back from schools in August just shouldn't participate in any school's OCI for fear of being accused of going "behind someone's back".

foregetaboutdre

Bronze
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby foregetaboutdre » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:43 pm

Just massmail all the firms coming to BLS's OCI (to their recruiting contacts) and say "I am transferring to Berk, but noticed you are coming to BLS OCI. I am extremely interested in your firm and I would like to apply for a 2L SA. (attach materials)"

The recruiters will sort it out from there. Also this avoids (potentially) getting BLS alums doing your screeners and potentially getting pissed at you.
Last edited by foregetaboutdre on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sprout

Silver
Posts: 773
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby Sprout » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 pm

amy2345 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
elvira22 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree about it not being fair to my old school to take their job opportunities and then transfer. The main reason I as considering doing it was because it would allow me to stay in New York a little while longer and keep open the option to transfer to NYU or Columbia last minute, if admitted. I would hate to move out to Berkeley in time for their interviews and then be admitted to a NY school shortly after. I also think that if I will be admitted to a NY school, there is a large chance it will be after their on campus interview deadlines. So I am trying my best to keep my options open, while making the best choices for career. Ideally, I would have final decisions from every school at this point and wouldn't have to play these games. Unfortunately, Columbia and NYU are taking so long to get back to applicants that I am left in this uncomfortable position.


But those are the downsides to transferring. Moreover, Berkeley specifically forbids its students from partaking in any other school's OCI and considers it grounds for withdrawing their acceptance. Also, how do you think potential employers will react to finding out that you're using your old school's OCI? Personally I feel it's a reflection on one's character and may put you in an adverse position during interviews or when/if employers find out. Just play the hand that you are dealt. Accept Berkeley's offer, withdraw from your school, and see how things work out. If you find out from Columbia/NYU before Berk's actual interviews, then withdraw from Berk and participate in Columbia's/NYU's OCI. If the deadline has passed on that, then tough luck bro. You either stay at Berk and participate in their OCI or transfer to Columbia/NYU w/o having participated in any school's OCI.

Unfortunately that's the reality of the transfer game. If you try to go behind anyone's back, I can't imagine it turning out well. I've heard of schools going as far as reporting students to the bar association.


I doubt firm's will think you're trying to go "behind anyone's back" by interviewing at your old school's OCI. Your classmates definitely will not like it, and the conventional wisdom is that it's not the best thing to do, but as to being reported to the bar and all of that? Pshhh.



Why villainize a student who is left in limbo like so many others and trying to make the best of the situation. The student paid tuition at BLS the first year of law school like everyone else, yet cant reap any of the benefits of attending the school? Also, its obvious that the goal is not to take opportunities away from anyone else, but to make the best use of the resources available in a situation filled with uncertainty. If students are reported to the bar association for this, then Columbia and NYU should not be allowed to accept any students in late August, which they do. Under your reasoning, any student who accepts admission later in the game will be reported to the bar association because they will likely already have participated in another school's OCI. Its absurd to say that anyone who is waiting to hear back from schools in August just shouldn't participate in any school's OCI for fear of being accused of going "behind someone's back".


Nobody said it was absurd, just dickish..

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:48 pm

I'm not sure why anyone needs more info than this:
estefanchanning wrote:Moreover, Berkeley specifically forbids its students from partaking in any other school's OCI and considers it grounds for withdrawing their acceptance.

I have seen people here say the same about other schools, too. And it seems like there would be a decent risk of getting found out.

There's also a big difference between participating in your original school's OCI when you haven't yet been accepted at the new school, and after you actually have.

amy2345

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby amy2345 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 pm

Sprout wrote:
amy2345 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
elvira22 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree about it not being fair to my old school to take their job opportunities and then transfer. The main reason I as considering doing it was because it would allow me to stay in New York a little while longer and keep open the option to transfer to NYU or Columbia last minute, if admitted. I would hate to move out to Berkeley in time for their interviews and then be admitted to a NY school shortly after. I also think that if I will be admitted to a NY school, there is a large chance it will be after their on campus interview deadlines. So I am trying my best to keep my options open, while making the best choices for career. Ideally, I would have final decisions from every school at this point and wouldn't have to play these games. Unfortunately, Columbia and NYU are taking so long to get back to applicants that I am left in this uncomfortable position.


But those are the downsides to transferring. Moreover, Berkeley specifically forbids its students from partaking in any other school's OCI and considers it grounds for withdrawing their acceptance. Also, how do you think potential employers will react to finding out that you're using your old school's OCI? Personally I feel it's a reflection on one's character and may put you in an adverse position during interviews or when/if employers find out. Just play the hand that you are dealt. Accept Berkeley's offer, withdraw from your school, and see how things work out. If you find out from Columbia/NYU before Berk's actual interviews, then withdraw from Berk and participate in Columbia's/NYU's OCI. If the deadline has passed on that, then tough luck bro. You either stay at Berk and participate in their OCI or transfer to Columbia/NYU w/o having participated in any school's OCI.

Unfortunately that's the reality of the transfer game. If you try to go behind anyone's back, I can't imagine it turning out well. I've heard of schools going as far as reporting students to the bar association.


I doubt firm's will think you're trying to go "behind anyone's back" by interviewing at your old school's OCI. Your classmates definitely will not like it, and the conventional wisdom is that it's not the best thing to do, but as to being reported to the bar and all of that? Pshhh.



Why villainize a student who is left in limbo like so many others and trying to make the best of the situation. The student paid tuition at BLS the first year of law school like everyone else, yet cant reap any of the benefits of attending the school? Also, its obvious that the goal is not to take opportunities away from anyone else, but to make the best use of the resources available in a situation filled with uncertainty. If students are reported to the bar association for this, then Columbia and NYU should not be allowed to accept any students in late August, which they do. Under your reasoning, any student who accepts admission later in the game will be reported to the bar association because they will likely already have participated in another school's OCI. Its absurd to say that anyone who is waiting to hear back from schools in August just shouldn't participate in any school's OCI for fear of being accused of going "behind someone's back".


Nobody said it was absurd, just dickish..


I think you misread my comment.
Last edited by amy2345 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estefanchanning

Bronze
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby estefanchanning » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:35 pm

Sprout wrote:
amy2345 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
elvira22 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree about it not being fair to my old school to take their job opportunities and then transfer. The main reason I as considering doing it was because it would allow me to stay in New York a little while longer and keep open the option to transfer to NYU or Columbia last minute, if admitted. I would hate to move out to Berkeley in time for their interviews and then be admitted to a NY school shortly after. I also think that if I will be admitted to a NY school, there is a large chance it will be after their on campus interview deadlines. So I am trying my best to keep my options open, while making the best choices for career. Ideally, I would have final decisions from every school at this point and wouldn't have to play these games. Unfortunately, Columbia and NYU are taking so long to get back to applicants that I am left in this uncomfortable position.


But those are the downsides to transferring. Moreover, Berkeley specifically forbids its students from partaking in any other school's OCI and considers it grounds for withdrawing their acceptance. Also, how do you think potential employers will react to finding out that you're using your old school's OCI? Personally I feel it's a reflection on one's character and may put you in an adverse position during interviews or when/if employers find out. Just play the hand that you are dealt. Accept Berkeley's offer, withdraw from your school, and see how things work out. If you find out from Columbia/NYU before Berk's actual interviews, then withdraw from Berk and participate in Columbia's/NYU's OCI. If the deadline has passed on that, then tough luck bro. You either stay at Berk and participate in their OCI or transfer to Columbia/NYU w/o having participated in any school's OCI.

Unfortunately that's the reality of the transfer game. If you try to go behind anyone's back, I can't imagine it turning out well. I've heard of schools going as far as reporting students to the bar association.


I doubt firm's will think you're trying to go "behind anyone's back" by interviewing at your old school's OCI. Your classmates definitely will not like it, and the conventional wisdom is that it's not the best thing to do, but as to being reported to the bar and all of that? Pshhh.



Why villainize a student who is left in limbo like so many others and trying to make the best of the situation. The student paid tuition at BLS the first year of law school like everyone else, yet cant reap any of the benefits of attending the school? Also, its obvious that the goal is not to take opportunities away from anyone else, but to make the best use of the resources available in a situation filled with uncertainty. If students are reported to the bar association for this, then Columbia and NYU should not be allowed to accept any students in late August, which they do. Under your reasoning, any student who accepts admission later in the game will be reported to the bar association because they will likely already have participated in another school's OCI. Its absurd to say that anyone who is waiting to hear back from schools in August just shouldn't participate in any school's OCI for fear of being accused of going "behind someone's back".

Nobody said it was absurd, just dickish..


You must've misread my statement. I never said any of those outcomes are for sure, but they are quite possible and that he shouldn't be surprised if they pan out. You can justify it how you want, but it is obviously clear that the OCI game was meant to serve the student body of the school you dedicate yourself to/you're attending. It is also obvious that schools don't appreciate you double-dipping because it is inherently unfair to everyone.

He's not left in limbo, he chose to transfer. He chose to go to BLS and once he earned better grades he chose to apply to schools fully knowing he may be put in this position (and if he didn't anticipate this position, that is also his fault). You can spin it how you want, but the legal circle is small. Either compete in BLS's OCI or your transfer school, not both. As far as reporting to the ABA, that is indeed a very realistic outcome. If you don't believe me, go to Berkeley's website and read up on their policy. At Berk if you want to partake in their OCI, you have to accept a statement acknowledging that you have not, and will not, participate in another school's OCI. If you do, it is considered a show of bad moral turpitude and will be treated as such. Read that however you want.

I mean really in the end, I myself don't really care. And you can look at my previous post history and see that I have a liberal take on many transfer policies. However, I know for a fact that OCI is not a joke and it is heavily monitored by schools. After all, it's specifically why many people transfer.

amy2345

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby amy2345 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:58 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Sprout wrote:
amy2345 wrote:
eyeofvigilence wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
elvira22 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree about it not being fair to my old school to take their job opportunities and then transfer. The main reason I as considering doing it was because it would allow me to stay in New York a little while longer and keep open the option to transfer to NYU or Columbia last minute, if admitted. I would hate to move out to Berkeley in time for their interviews and then be admitted to a NY school shortly after. I also think that if I will be admitted to a NY school, there is a large chance it will be after their on campus interview deadlines. So I am trying my best to keep my options open, while making the best choices for career. Ideally, I would have final decisions from every school at this point and wouldn't have to play these games. Unfortunately, Columbia and NYU are taking so long to get back to applicants that I am left in this uncomfortable position.


But those are the downsides to transferring. Moreover, Berkeley specifically forbids its students from partaking in any other school's OCI and considers it grounds for withdrawing their acceptance. Also, how do you think potential employers will react to finding out that you're using your old school's OCI? Personally I feel it's a reflection on one's character and may put you in an adverse position during interviews or when/if employers find out. Just play the hand that you are dealt. Accept Berkeley's offer, withdraw from your school, and see how things work out. If you find out from Columbia/NYU before Berk's actual interviews, then withdraw from Berk and participate in Columbia's/NYU's OCI. If the deadline has passed on that, then tough luck bro. You either stay at Berk and participate in their OCI or transfer to Columbia/NYU w/o having participated in any school's OCI.

Unfortunately that's the reality of the transfer game. If you try to go behind anyone's back, I can't imagine it turning out well. I've heard of schools going as far as reporting students to the bar association.


I doubt firm's will think you're trying to go "behind anyone's back" by interviewing at your old school's OCI. Your classmates definitely will not like it, and the conventional wisdom is that it's not the best thing to do, but as to being reported to the bar and all of that? Pshhh.



Why villainize a student who is left in limbo like so many others and trying to make the best of the situation. The student paid tuition at BLS the first year of law school like everyone else, yet cant reap any of the benefits of attending the school? Also, its obvious that the goal is not to take opportunities away from anyone else, but to make the best use of the resources available in a situation filled with uncertainty. If students are reported to the bar association for this, then Columbia and NYU should not be allowed to accept any students in late August, which they do. Under your reasoning, any student who accepts admission later in the game will be reported to the bar association because they will likely already have participated in another school's OCI. Its absurd to say that anyone who is waiting to hear back from schools in August just shouldn't participate in any school's OCI for fear of being accused of going "behind someone's back".

Nobody said it was absurd, just dickish..


You must've misread my statement. I never said any of those outcomes are for sure, but they are quite possible and that he shouldn't be surprised if they pan out. You can justify it how you want, but it is obviously clear that the OCI game was meant to serve the student body of the school you dedicate yourself to/you're attending. It is also obvious that schools don't appreciate you double-dipping because it is inherently unfair to everyone.

He's not left in limbo, he chose to transfer. He chose to go to BLS and once he earned better grades he chose to apply to schools fully knowing he may be put in this position (and if he didn't anticipate this position, that is also his fault). You can spin it how you want, but the legal circle is small. Either compete in BLS's OCI or your transfer school, not both. As far as reporting to the ABA, that is indeed a very realistic outcome. If you don't believe me, go to Berkeley's website and read up on their policy. At Berk if you want to partake in their OCI, you have to accept a statement acknowledging that you have not, and will not, participate in another school's OCI. If you do, it is considered a show of bad moral turpitude and will be treated as such. Read that however you want.

I mean really in the end, I myself don't really care. And you can look at my previous post history and see that I have a liberal take on many transfer policies. However, I know for a fact that OCI is not a joke and it is heavily monitored by schools. After all, it's specifically why many people transfer.


But after reading the students second post, it is clear that the main objective is not to take advantage of any school and what they offer. The student has clearly stated that they hope to be admitted to NYU or Columbia. They have not yet been admitted so they are unsure of what to do in the situation. If they go to the BLS's OCIs and transfer to Berkeley, they are wrong. If they go to Berkeley's OCI and transfer to NYU or Columbia, they are wrong. If they pariticpate in Berkeley's OCI and have to stay there out of loyalty instead of transferring to NYU, they will be unhappy. If they don't participate in any OCI's, the career they have worked so hard for this year goes down the drain.

As fellow transfer students, I am truly surprised that you do not have compassion for this student's situation. The problem is not the student, the problem is the schools. Schools should all have to make their decisions before the date of any other school's OCIs, if they dont want students engagin in this behavior. Otherwise, this puts students in an impossible position of choosing between participating in OCIs of a school they don't truly wish to go to and being stuck there, or transferring to their dream school and not being able to participate in any OCIs. Transfer students work extremely hard their 1L year, and should not be penalized because a school is taking a long time to submit their final decision. The student said it themselves, "ideally i would have final decisions from every school at this point and wouldn't have to play these games." I completely understand why you are telling the student to proceed with caution, given Berkeley's policy. However, we should focus on the issues with the transfer game, rather than condemn the student. After all, any of us could have been in this same situation. If it were you I doubt you would tell yourself to either forfeit your dream school or forfeit OCIs.

estefanchanning

Bronze
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby estefanchanning » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:14 am

Ok let's not drag this on bc we both have better things to do than preach our points of view on a virtual forum. 1) This particular student has not been as candid as you're making them out to be. If you look at their post history, they have already been accepted to NYU and now they're waiting on Columbia. So let's see: presumably they haven't withdrawn from BSL (since they're contemplating OCI there), they submitted SIR at Berk (since deadline for that was July 15), they have a pending decision to NYU, and yet they're still waiting on Columbia. Do I empathize with this student? Sure. Am I villainizing him? No, I'm stating my opinion about how I think he should conduct himself given that he's going into a profession that stresses transparency and integrity.

I was in the same boat as him a few weeks ago and made my decision with what I have. I gave up some potentially better options, but that's just part of the game.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:18 am

amy2345 wrote:If they go to the BLS's OCIs and transfer to Berkeley, they are wrong. If they go to Berkeley's OCI and transfer to NYU or Columbia, they are wrong.

Nobody has said anything like this. If they accept Berkeley, participate in Berkeley's OCI, and only then are accepted to and transfer to NYU or Columbia, there shouldn't be any problem as long as they don't participate in NYU/Columbia's OCI (and if they weren't accepted till after Berkeley's OCI they've almost certainly missed the NYC schools' OCIs anyway).

(Leaving aside that they have got into NYU, of course, which would seem to make the whole issue moot.)

Edit: people (including me) need to be more careful about reading post histories. This user hasn't got into NYU yet - they were quoting/responding to someone who had, but they said that they hadn't yet heard from either NYU or Columbia. Sorry, OP, for the accusation.

amy2345

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby amy2345 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:30 am

estefanchanning wrote:Ok let's not drag this on bc we both have better things to do than preach our points of view on a virtual forum. 1) This particular student has not been as candid as you're making them out to be. If you look at their post history, they have already been accepted to NYU and now they're waiting on Columbia. So let's see: presumably they haven't withdrawn from BSL (since they're contemplating OCI there), they submitted SIR at Berk (since deadline for that was July 15), they have a pending decision to NYU, and yet they're still waiting on Columbia. Do I empathize with this student? Sure. Am I villainizing him? No, I'm stating my opinion about how I think he should conduct himself given that he's going into a profession that stresses transparency and integrity.

I was in the same boat as him a few weeks ago and made my decision with what I have. I gave up some potentially better options, but that's just part of the game.


I didn't mean to imply that you, specifically, were villiainzing him. More so the comments as a whole. I checked the students threads and like they said in their post, they have yet to hear back from NYU or Columbia. Yeah, they probably told Berkeley they were attending. But many of the students who committed to Berkeley on July 15th will probably end up backing out. I guess you are more noble than the rest of us. I just wish that the schools wouldn't put students in these situations in the first place.

amy2345

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby amy2345 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:33 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
amy2345 wrote:If they go to the BLS's OCIs and transfer to Berkeley, they are wrong. If they go to Berkeley's OCI and transfer to NYU or Columbia, they are wrong.

Nobody has said anything like this. If they accept Berkeley, participate in Berkeley's OCI, and only then are accepted to and transfer to NYU or Columbia, there shouldn't be any problem as long as they don't participate in NYU/Columbia's OCI (and if they weren't accepted till after Berkeley's OCI they've almost certainly missed the NYC schools' OCIs anyway).

(Leaving aside that they have got into NYU, of course, which would seem to make the whole issue moot.)

Edit: people (including me) need to be more careful about reading post histories. This user hasn't got into NYU yet - they were quoting/responding to someone who had, but they said that they hadn't yet heard from either NYU or Columbia. Sorry, OP, for the accusation.


Correct, but I think the student attempted to correct himself when he put up his second post. Its not that he has definitively decided to go to Berkeley and wants to participate in BLS OCI. He doesn't have any idea where he will end up going, and so does not know which OCI fair he should participate in. It seems like the chances of him getting into NYU at the last minute may be strong, therefore he wants to avoid moving all the way to California and then having to move back at the last minute. But he also wants to avoid missing out on every school's OCI. Although it seems like he prefers not to be in this situation in the first place, the safest bet would be to stay for BLS's OCI fair.
Last edited by amy2345 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

estefanchanning

Bronze
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby estefanchanning » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:36 am

ok everyone, tl;dr: proceed with caution, proceed with integrity.

now everyone lets hold hands and sing kumbaya thx <3

Hikikomorist

Platinum
Posts: 7790
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby Hikikomorist » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:37 am

I object more to competing with incoming than outgoing transfers.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Should I participate in my old law school's OCI before transferring?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:44 am

amy2345 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
amy2345 wrote:If they go to the BLS's OCIs and transfer to Berkeley, they are wrong. If they go to Berkeley's OCI and transfer to NYU or Columbia, they are wrong.

Nobody has said anything like this. If they accept Berkeley, participate in Berkeley's OCI, and only then are accepted to and transfer to NYU or Columbia, there shouldn't be any problem as long as they don't participate in NYU/Columbia's OCI (and if they weren't accepted till after Berkeley's OCI they've almost certainly missed the NYC schools' OCIs anyway).

(Leaving aside that they have got into NYU, of course, which would seem to make the whole issue moot.)

Edit: people (including me) need to be more careful about reading post histories. This user hasn't got into NYU yet - they were quoting/responding to someone who had, but they said that they hadn't yet heard from either NYU or Columbia. Sorry, OP, for the accusation.


Correct, but I think the student attempted to correct himself when he put up his second post. Its not that he has definitively decided to go to Berkeley and wants to participate in BLS OCI. He doesn't have any idea where he will end up going, and so does not know which OCI fair he should participate in. It seems like the chances of him getting into NYU at the last minute may be strong, therefore he wants to avoid moving all the way to California and then having to move back at the last minute. But he also wants to avoid missing out on every school's OCI. Although it seems like he prefers not tobe in this situation in the first place, the safest bet in the situation would be to stay for BLS's OCI fair.

Sure, if they're willing to pass on Berkeley and stay at BLS. Or - it's not clear from the language - participate in BLS's OCI and pass on Berkeley's. But even if Berkeley actually permits that, it would really seem to defeat the whole purpose of transferring to Berkeley, which is to have access to firms through OCI that you wouldn't have access to at your original school. If they can get the job they want through BLS OCI there is almost no reason at all to transfer, especially across the country when they don't want to work in California. And I have to think that firms that interview at BLS are going to look askance at someone who interviews through BLS and then pops up as a Berkeley student.

Really I think the OP needs to decide whether transferring to Berkeley would be worth it, not which OCI to attend.

Hikko, how does that make any sense? You're not competing with outgoing transfers, because they're transferring. They're gone.



Return to “Transfers�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.