CLS or NYU, need help!

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CLS or NYU, need help!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:29 am

Hi all,

I've been admitted to both CLS and NYU and am struggling to decide which school to attend. My career goals are to clerk and NY biglaw. If anyone can provide any wisdom on this matter, that would be great. I know this has been already debated in previous threads, but it looks like the opinions hinged on how much financial aid both schools provided. Given that I'll be paying sticker at both schools, was hoping to get some advice. Thanks!

browniestasty

Bronze

Re: CLS or NYU, need help!

Postby browniestasty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:40 am

NYU is in a nicer area with better looking girls.

First part is a fact and the second part is just my opinion.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:45 am

Looking at the numbers, Columbia has a slight edge. Clerkship numbers are pretty much equal, but Columbia has better biglaw placement. Realistically, both have strong numbers, so go to the school that feels right to you.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:51 am

It took me about two seconds to make this decision when I faced it. CLS. I have transfers very clerkships and biglaw placement is the best in the country.

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:20 am

Sticker?

Don't go.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Postby NoDayButToday » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:07 pm

I think when options are close enough to each other to be basically equal, maybe one with a slight edge, I would choose based on fit--looking at the courses, are there enough options offered in the area you're interested in? Are there profs who you've heard of and want to take? Do the clinical offerings appeal to you? Does the school offer you a meaningful opportunity to get on law review or a journal that interests you? If you've visited, did you feel more at home at one school or the other, like the people there were your people? Do you have a preference for Morningside Heights or the Village? Do you get more excited picturing yourself in violet or blue?

Burlington4174

New

Postby Burlington4174 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:13 pm

While the West Village is definitely widely considered a nicer part of NYC to live in, I personally prefer the upper west side. They have very different dynamics. You should visit the area around both schools, and try to get a feel for which you like better.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Harlem is nice and the most reasonable place to rent. I lived there two years, about a 15-20 minute walk to school, for $1300/month for one room in a 2Br

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:42 pm

browniestasty wrote:NYU is in a nicer area with better looking girls.

First part is a fact and the second part is just my opinion.

Better looking in the neighborhood or at the law school specifically? The former is certainly true, the latter is not.

Return to “Transfers�