Transfer to UT? OCI Chances

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer to UT? OCI Chances

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:32 pm

Considering transferring to UT, got accepted yesterday, but a big concern is how I would fare at OCI since I haven't heard the greatest things about UT transfers at OCI. I'm wondering how I might do. Would love to end up landing a spot at a Big-Midsize firm somewhere in Texas, and also would consider living in CA and bidding on those firms. Anybody have any idea about how things could shake out?

Transfer Stats: T40-50, Top 20%, no TX ties.

habeas2210

Bronze

Re: Transfer to UT? OCI Chances

Postby habeas2210 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:57 pm

If you're wanting CA, I'd probably go to UCLA considering your stats.

If you want TX, go to UT; but I'm not sure how a top 20% transfer will fare. Top 15% transfers have done fairly well at UT based off past years threads, but they also came from T1 schools within TX (SMU/UH), so the TX firms were already familiar with the schools/stats.

HamNewton

New

Postby HamNewton » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:17 am

True. Yea I applied to UCLA as well but still waiting. I like CA but the COL is ridiculous; if my employment situation was equal coming out of both schools I would much rather live in TX, I'm just concerned about striking out. If I went to UCLA I would at least have some ties since I'm from the West Coast and have family in CA which makes me think I could potentially do better there. But thanks for the input

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:20 am

If you're coming from a random school on the east coast or Midwest and without legitimate ties I think your chances at getting a job at a big/midsize firm from either UT or UCLA is exceedingly small.

Anecdotally, transfers I know at UT tended to struggle in the job search. And they were Texans.

bourgeoise92

New

Postby bourgeoise92 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:36 pm

Hey, for those who got in, did you get a decision via email or mail? I had my interview last week, but still silence. Looks like a bad sign given it's so late in the game :(

habeas2210

Bronze

Postby habeas2210 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:03 pm

bourgeoise92 wrote:Hey, for those who got in, did you get a decision via email or mail? I had my interview last week, but still silence. Looks like a bad sign given it's so late in the game :(

E-mail. OCI bidding is already passed too. And they are taking a smaller transfer class this year.

bourgeoise92

New

Postby bourgeoise92 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:58 pm

yeah that makes sense. Thanks!

caseysho

New

Postby caseysho » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:39 pm

I know I'm a little late to this thread but OCI results came out today and due to the recent shift to a 50/50 preselect/lottery system I did totally fine. Probably similar options to what I would have had at my prior T1 school. If you can get everything in before interview deadlines its completely doable! Best of luck to everyone and I look forward to seeing those who pick UT at orientation soon :)

bananasandlemons

New

Postby bananasandlemons » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 am

habeas2210 wrote:
bourgeoise92 wrote:Hey, for those who got in, did you get a decision via email or mail? I had my interview last week, but still silence. Looks like a bad sign given it's so late in the game :(

E-mail. OCI bidding is already passed too. And they are taking a smaller transfer class this year.

Does anyone know how much smaller the transfer class will be?

habeas2210

Bronze

Postby habeas2210 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:49 am

bananasandlemons wrote:
habeas2210 wrote:

Does anyone know how much smaller the transfer class will be?

about 1/3-1/2 smaller from what they said. They were only looking to take ~20. They took 37 last year I believe.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:52 am

I don't know how many they'll go with, but simply speculating, I'd suspect 20-30 gives them a pretty good sweet spot for selectivity among transfers.

Here are the numbers from the past few years, FWIW:

Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bananasandlemons

New

Postby bananasandlemons » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:13 pm

I had an interview with them the week before Fourth of July. I still haven't heard anything. I heard the interview was a good sign. Does everyone get the interview?

mister logical

Bronze

Postby mister logical » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:42 pm

If anyone gets accepted to UT after OCI, it's going to be beyond an uphill struggle to secure big law unless you go to each and every room with OCI people in it and hand them your resume and then massmail too.

bananasandlemons

New

Postby bananasandlemons » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:36 am

[quote="BVest"]I don't know how many they'll go with, but simply speculating, I'd suspect 20-30 gives them a pretty good sweet spot for selectivity among transfers.

Here are the numbers from the past few years, FWIW:

Are they even taking anymore people? It's July 26 and they've been accepting people since March/April.

habeas2210

Bronze

Postby habeas2210 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:46 am

bananasandlemons wrote:
Are they even taking anymore people? It's July 26 and they've been accepting people since March/April.

Doubt it, even if they were, there's no point. OCI bidding has been done for awhile.

Return to “Transfers�