Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Stay at WUSTL
20
59%
Go to Michigan
14
41%
 
Total votes: 34

Anonymous User
Posts: 327394
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 am

I was just accepted at Michigan this morning.

I'm currently at Wash U, with a full-ride scholarship and living expenses covered by savings. I finished 1L with a 3.64, putting me in a gray zone between median and top third of my class. I'm from the Midwest originally, and would like to work big law in a large Midwestern market like Chicago, but I'm open to NYC and other cities as well. After a few years in big law, I would like to work an in-house position in the Midwest or lateral to a mid-sized Midwestern firm. KDJ, and no diversity. I wouldn't say I enjoy St. Louis by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't hate it.

I would have to finance $150,000 in COA at Michigan should I decide to attend.

Happy to provide any additional information. TLS has come through for me in the past, and I would greatly appreciate any insight on this.

User avatar
RareExports

Silver
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby RareExports » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:29 am

Michigan sounds like the right call for your interests and goals. Also, if you have enough in savings to cover COL at Wash U, I wouldn't think your debt at Michigan would be 150, but I could be wrong.

ETA: I know others who have made the Wash U-Michigan transfer, and their outcomes have generally been good (at least better than top third would fare at Wash U OCI).
Last edited by RareExports on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Joscellin

Gold
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby Joscellin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:29 am

What's your backup plan of you don't land big law? From WUSTL the low debt makes that easier to take than with an extra 150 grand.

User avatar
sublime

Diamond
Posts: 17385
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby sublime » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:42 am

How dead set are you on working for a big firm?

Will you be able to fully participate in OCI?

Any way to get data on how tranfers have fared in OCI?

What is your plan at either school if you don't get big/midlaw?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327394
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:05 pm

sublime wrote:How dead set are you on working for a big firm?

Will you be able to fully participate in OCI?

Any way to get data on how tranfers have fared in OCI?

What is your plan at either school if you don't get big/midlaw?


I mean I'm flexible about the size of the firm. Big firm in Chicago or NYC would be my top choice, but midsize firm in Minneapolis or KC wouldn't upset me you know?

I'm sure Michigan has this data available, and I'll make some calls to find what I can. Anecdotally, however, it seems like people have fared very well.

At WUSTL, if I strike out I plan to continue and potentially pursue the JD/MBA and try to raise my GPA in hopes of snagging something at 3L OCI. If I strike out at Michigan, I would probably drop out to save myself the debt.

edit: well, accidentally forgot to hit anonymous, so i guess i'm outed lol

chingwoo

Bronze
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby chingwoo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:20 pm

Are you in St Louis for the summer and have you been seriously networking? Have you done slamsl or whatever it's called? I don't like the idea of paying 150k+ and transferring for 10-20 interviews. Especially since you definitely can get biglaw from your grade range despite what tls tells you.

I think the MBA could be a good fallback in October, if you have competitive work experience because you can then apply to non-legal mba positipns for your 2L summer. Id reach out to current jd mbas right now for advice on that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327394
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 pm

chingwoo wrote:Are you in St Louis for the summer and have you been seriously networking? Have you done slamsl or whatever it's called? I don't like the idea of paying 150k+ and transferring for 10-20 interviews. Especially since you definitely can get biglaw from your grade range despite what tls tells you.

I think the MBA could be a good fallback in October, if you have competitive work experience because you can then apply to non-legal mba positipns for your 2L summer. Id reach out to current jd mbas right now for advice on that.


I'm in Chicago for the summer, and have done some extensive networking. Don't know what slamsl is. Also, my cost of living will be completely covered, so I will only need to take out loans for tuition/fees. In terms of the MBA, I don't have any competitive work experience. I graduated from undergrad a year early and went straight to law school.

chingwoo

Bronze
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby chingwoo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chingwoo wrote:Are you in St Louis for the summer and have you been seriously networking? Have you done slamsl or whatever it's called? I don't like the idea of paying 150k+ and transferring for 10-20 interviews. Especially since you definitely can get biglaw from your grade range despite what tls tells you.

I think the MBA could be a good fallback in October, if you have competitive work experience because you can then apply to non-legal mba positipns for your 2L summer. Id reach out to current jd mbas right now for advice on that.


I'm in Chicago for the summer, and have done some extensive networking. Don't know what slamsl is. Also, my cost of living will be completely covered, so I will only need to take out loans for tuition/fees. In terms of the MBA, I don't have any competitive work experience. I graduated from undergrad a year early and went straight to law school.



Would you be OK doing non legal right out of a jd/mba program?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327394
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:37 pm

chingwoo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chingwoo wrote:Are you in St Louis for the summer and have you been seriously networking? Have you done slamsl or whatever it's called? I don't like the idea of paying 150k+ and transferring for 10-20 interviews. Especially since you definitely can get biglaw from your grade range despite what tls tells you.

I think the MBA could be a good fallback in October, if you have competitive work experience because you can then apply to non-legal mba positipns for your 2L summer. Id reach out to current jd mbas right now for advice on that.


I'm in Chicago for the summer, and have done some extensive networking. Don't know what slamsl is. Also, my cost of living will be completely covered, so I will only need to take out loans for tuition/fees. In terms of the MBA, I don't have any competitive work experience. I graduated from undergrad a year early and went straight to law school.



Would you be OK doing non legal right out of a jd/mba program?


Yeah, but bear in mind that I would have to take out loans to finance the JD/MBA. And I would also have to cover an extra year of COL with loans, so the JD/MBA would probably run me ~50K in debt.

chingwoo

Bronze
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby chingwoo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chingwoo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chingwoo wrote:Are you in St Louis for the summer and have you been seriously networking? Have you done slamsl or whatever it's called? I don't like the idea of paying 150k+ and transferring for 10-20 interviews. Especially since you definitely can get biglaw from your grade range despite what tls tells you.

I think the MBA could be a good fallback in October, if you have competitive work experience because you can then apply to non-legal mba positipns for your 2L summer. Id reach out to current jd mbas right now for advice on that.


I'm in Chicago for the summer, and have done some extensive networking. Don't know what slamsl is. Also, my cost of living will be completely covered, so I will only need to take out loans for tuition/fees. In terms of the MBA, I don't have any competitive work experience. I graduated from undergrad a year early and went straight to law school.



Would you be OK doing non legal right out of a jd/mba program?


Yeah, but bear in mind that I would have to take out loans to finance the JD/MBA. And I would also have to cover an extra year of COL with loans, so the JD/MBA would probably run me ~50K in debt.



I wouldnt transfer then. There is much less downside risk to staying with a similar upside. Staying, you get two rounds of potential interviews, plus full mba recruiting which actually is quite good at placing Americans.

PM me if you stay and you think you are going to strike out in mid September.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327394
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Worth it to transfer from Wash U to Michigan?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks for the sage advice, all. I appreciate it. As I expected, the poll is 50/50 haha.



Return to “Transfers�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.