Tell one school you were accepted at another?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tell one school you were accepted at another?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:47 pm

This is likely just transfer anxiety talking, but I'm considering emailing one school to let them know I got into another. I would love advice...

Situation:
I was accepted to one T10 school a few days ago, but it isn't my top choice. I'd rather attend a school that is pretty much tied in rank, but is closer to my family. The problem is, I felt like my interview with the peer school that I want to go to more went less-than-smoothly. Also, the school that accepted me gave me a really short amount of time to put down a deposit - so, I'm considering emailing the school I haven't heard back from yet to let them know I'd rather attend their school if they would just let me know (in a really professional way?!). Talk me down? Or is this ok to do? I don't want to hurt my chances, but I also want to be honest?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Re: Tell one school you were accepted at another?

Postby estefanchanning » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:54 pm

I personally think it's totally fine. Just email them and say you've been accepted to school X but that you're still extremely interested in their school, it is still your #1, and that you're eagerly awaiting a decision from them. And conclude by telling them that you have a short time to accept.

tebowtime23

New

Postby tebowtime23 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is likely just transfer anxiety talking, but I'm considering emailing one school to let them know I got into another. I would love advice...

Situation:
I was accepted to one T10 school a few days ago, but it isn't my top choice. I'd rather attend a school that is pretty much tied in rank, but is closer to my family. The problem is, I felt like my interview with the peer school that I want to go to more went less-than-smoothly. Also, the school that accepted me gave me a really short amount of time to put down a deposit - so, I'm considering emailing the school I haven't heard back from yet to let them know I'd rather attend their school if they would just let me know (in a really professional way?!). Talk me down? Or is this ok to do? I don't want to hurt my chances, but I also want to be honest?

If you interviewed recently, maybe give them until Monday before contacting them. Otherwise, I don't see the harm, as long as you phrase it professionally and explain that their school is where you really want to go.

sf2tx

New

Postby sf2tx » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is likely just transfer anxiety talking, but I'm considering emailing one school to let them know I got into another. I would love advice...

Situation:

I would write a letter of continued interest to inform them. I am still waiting to hear back from my school, but I submitted a LOCI last week updating them on a job offer I got near the school and they sent my interview request the next day. Could have been a coincidence, but it also may have made them look at my application ahead of others since I mentioned to the admissions officer that it was time sensitive. Explain your situation to the admissions office and ask them to pass along a formally written letter explaining your situation.

buhbuhbuhbruinplease

New

Postby buhbuhbuhbruinplease » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:20 pm

sf2tx wrote:

Situation:

I would write a letter of continued interest to inform them. I am still waiting to hear back from my school, but I submitted a LOCI last week updating them on a job offer I got near the school and they sent my interview request the next day. Could have been a coincidence, but it also may have made them look at my application ahead of others since I mentioned to the admissions officer that it was time sensitive. Explain your situation to the admissions office and ask them to pass along a formally written letter explaining your situation.

On a relevant note, I was offered possible employment this Fall in LA and am still waiting on UCLA. How did you update your school about your job offer?

sf2tx

New

Postby sf2tx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:21 pm

I wrote about it in my LOCI. Since it added to my interest in the school because I could keep my job, I let them know my interest in their school was singular (as in, I didn't want to go anywhere else). Also talked about the position in my interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Thanks for the advice! I think it worked ... accepted today!

Return to “Transfers�