Fordham Law 2016

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blameitoncarr

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Fordham Law 2016

Postby blameitoncarr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:58 pm

From my brief history search, Fordham is not the darling of transfer options but it attending would make sense for me personally. Anyone else applying? When do you think the earliest decision date will be? I noticed that the FLS twitter had no mention of when transfer decisions went out in 2015. What up with that?

sc04cbra

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby sc04cbra » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:24 pm

I've applied to Fordham.

Rank: 39/201; TT. I don't expect to hear anything until late July/early August.

blameitoncarr

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby blameitoncarr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:59 pm

In 2014, the first wave of decisions came on July 10th. Perhaps the deadline for apps was earlier in years past.

NINA

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby NINA » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:05 pm

Do you know usually what rank they see as competitive? I asked them they said 15% top.
I contacted the admission office, and they said they would start reviewing application from July 15. The result would come out in the first week of August.

NINA

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby NINA » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:04 pm

sc04cbra wrote:I've applied to Fordham.

Rank: 39/201; TT. I don't expect to hear anything until late July/early August.


Rank:42/221 ;TT. Very similar to your stats. Have u applied to BU or UT? Fordham normally take 15% or 20%? Thanks!

M_Law

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby M_Law » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:28 pm

Hey all:

Here is some useful information from both the website and a recent e-mail response from the admissions.

Website:
Transfer and visiting applications are considered during the latter part of July, and applicants will typically receive a decision during the first week of August. Students wishing to visit for the spring 2016 semester must submit their application by December 15, 2015.

E-mail Response received today:
"Transfer application review will begin in the forthcoming weeks. We review transfer applications and make offers throughout the summer. Transfer student orientation will take place the week of August 15, so you can expect to receive a decision by then.

Transfer students are allowed to participate in all fall and spring OCI events (with the exception of early interview week in August).

Each journal has specific membership section criteria, but the following example pertains to transfer student membership for the Fordham Law Review journal:

Students who are planning to transfer to Fordham University School of Law and would like to be considered for membership on the Fordham Law Review are invited to take part in the Transfer Writing Competition.  Up to three transfer students entering second year in the day division or second or third year in the evening division may be selected on the basis of a submission to the Transfer Writing Competition.  Transfer students must fall into one of the following two categories to be eligible for staff membership on the Law Review:

(1) the student was invited, on the basis of scholarship, to join the law review at the law school from which the student transferred; or (2) the student placed in the top twenty-five percent of the class at the law school from which the student transferred.


The 2016 Transfer Student Writing Competition rules will be posted over the summer."

I highlighted some key aspects for Fordham transfer prospects. Good luck all.

bdadon

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:47 am

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby bdadon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:28 am

blameitoncarr wrote:From my brief history search, Fordham is not the darling of transfer options but it attending would make sense for me personally. Anyone else applying? When do you think the earliest decision date will be? I noticed that the FLS twitter had no mention of when transfer decisions went out in 2015. What up with that?


I applied to Fordham and I am currently waiting for a decision. I was told that they do not start looking at applications until the deadline, which is July 15.

blameitoncarr

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby blameitoncarr » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:11 am

bdadon wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:From my brief history search, Fordham is not the darling of transfer options but it attending would make sense for me personally. Anyone else applying? When do you think the earliest decision date will be? I noticed that the FLS twitter had no mention of when transfer decisions went out in 2015. What up with that?


I applied to Fordham and I am currently waiting for a decision. I was told that they do not start looking at applications until the deadline, which is July 15.


I was told on Monday that the application process is rolling and they've already begun looking at applications.

bdadon

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:47 am

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby bdadon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:51 am

blameitoncarr wrote:
bdadon wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:From my brief history search, Fordham is not the darling of transfer options but it attending would make sense for me personally. Anyone else applying? When do you think the earliest decision date will be? I noticed that the FLS twitter had no mention of when transfer decisions went out in 2015. What up with that?


I applied to Fordham and I am currently waiting for a decision. I was told that they do not start looking at applications until the deadline, which is July 15.


I was told on Monday that the application process is rolling and they've already begun looking at applications.


Yea, I called Monday as well. I was now told exactly what you were told.

blameitoncarr

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby blameitoncarr » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Admitted via email at 5:24pm! Will attend.

bdadon

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:47 am

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby bdadon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:22 pm

blameitoncarr wrote:Admitted via email at 5:24pm! Will attend.


That's good! Congratulations!!! Do you mind me asking what school your transferred from?

blameitoncarr

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby blameitoncarr » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:03 pm

bdadon wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:Admitted via email at 5:24pm! Will attend.


That's good! Congratulations!!! Do you mind me asking what school your transferred from?


Thank you! I'm transferring from Brooklyn.

M_Law

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby M_Law » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:18 pm

blameitoncarr wrote:
bdadon wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:Admitted via email at 5:24pm! Will attend.


That's good! Congratulations!!! Do you mind me asking what school your transferred from?


Thank you! I'm transferring from Brooklyn.


What are your plans for OCI since Fordham doesn't allow you to participate in EIW?

blameitoncarr

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby blameitoncarr » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:50 am

M_Law wrote:What are your plans for OCI since Fordham doesn't allow you to participate in EIW?



Shoehorn my way onto schedules. I can't bid but I can attend. I'll also pursue other avenues.

lps5

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby lps5 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:27 am

.
Last edited by lps5 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

M_Law

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby M_Law » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:39 am

lps5 wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:
M_Law wrote:What are your plans for OCI since Fordham doesn't allow you to participate in EIW?



Shoehorn my way onto schedules. I can't bid but I can attend. I'll also pursue other avenues.


I'm gathering from TLS that Fordham isn't the best place to transfer to. Being top of the class at Brooklyn going through OCI would be better than going it alone at Fordham.


I completely agree. I am currently working with a rising 2L Fordham who did well but still does not like the school. The fact that you cannot participate in EIW is a huge disadvantage being that Fordham's reputation is cut-throat anyway. Hence, I personally see no reason in transferring besides prestige, and perhaps convenience. Nonetheless, its a personal decision in the end.

User avatar
bretby

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby bretby » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:41 am

M_Law wrote:
lps5 wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:
M_Law wrote:What are your plans for OCI since Fordham doesn't allow you to participate in EIW?



Shoehorn my way onto schedules. I can't bid but I can attend. I'll also pursue other avenues.


I'm gathering from TLS that Fordham isn't the best place to transfer to. Being top of the class at Brooklyn going through OCI would be better than going it alone at Fordham.


I completely agree. I am currently working with a rising 2L Fordham who did well but still does not like the school. The fact that you cannot participate in EIW is a huge disadvantage being that Fordham's reputation is cut-throat anyway. Hence, I personally see no reason in transferring besides prestige, and perhaps convenience. Nonetheless, its a personal decision in the end.


Fordham has a reputation as being cut-throat? Where'd that come from?

M_Law

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby M_Law » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:53 am

bretby wrote:
M_Law wrote:
lps5 wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:
M_Law wrote:What are your plans for OCI since Fordham doesn't allow you to participate in EIW?



Shoehorn my way onto schedules. I can't bid but I can attend. I'll also pursue other avenues.


I'm gathering from TLS that Fordham isn't the best place to transfer to. Being top of the class at Brooklyn going through OCI would be better than going it alone at Fordham.


I completely agree. I am currently working with a rising 2L Fordham who did well but still does not like the school. The fact that you cannot participate in EIW is a huge disadvantage being that Fordham's reputation is cut-throat anyway. Hence, I personally see no reason in transferring besides prestige, and perhaps convenience. Nonetheless, its a personal decision in the end.


Fordham has a reputation as being cut-throat? Where'd that come from?


Cut-thorat being applicable as to 1L more so then a transfer. I heard from both an alum who I worked with for several years and the rising 2L.

lps5

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby lps5 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:54 am

.
Last edited by lps5 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

M_Law

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby M_Law » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:00 am

lps5 wrote:
M_Law wrote:
lps5 wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:
M_Law wrote:What are your plans for OCI since Fordham doesn't allow you to participate in EIW?



Shoehorn my way onto schedules. I can't bid but I can attend. I'll also pursue other avenues.


I'm gathering from TLS that Fordham isn't the best place to transfer to. Being top of the class at Brooklyn going through OCI would be better than going it alone at Fordham.


I completely agree. I am currently working with a rising 2L Fordham who did well but still does not like the school. The fact that you cannot participate in EIW is a huge disadvantage being that Fordham's reputation is cut-throat anyway. Hence, I personally see no reason in transferring besides prestige, and perhaps convenience. Nonetheless, its a personal decision in the end.


Prestige? Eh. I think being employed from Brooklyn is more prestigious than being in more debt and unemployed out of Fordham.

Convenience? Nothing seems convenient about taking on the extra debt and the stress of having to find a job outside of OCI process. I think convenience would be 1) stay at Brooklyn for lots of $$$ 2) stand a much better chance to get a nice 160k or 180k offer since your grades are better there 3) law review etc.

It just seems Fordham is a rough pick for any reason.


I am also assuming that the Brooklyn's significant ranking drops may be a factor in the decision to transfer. Nonetheless, Fordham overall places better in big law (33.7%) as opposed to Brooklyn (18.5%). I am not transferring to Fordham, but just providing the overall statistics.

lps5

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby lps5 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:06 am

.
Last edited by lps5 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bretby

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby bretby » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:26 am

M_Law wrote:
bretby wrote:
M_Law wrote:
lps5 wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:
M_Law wrote:What are your plans for OCI since Fordham doesn't allow you to participate in EIW?



Shoehorn my way onto schedules. I can't bid but I can attend. I'll also pursue other avenues.


I'm gathering from TLS that Fordham isn't the best place to transfer to. Being top of the class at Brooklyn going through OCI would be better than going it alone at Fordham.


I completely agree. I am currently working with a rising 2L Fordham who did well but still does not like the school. The fact that you cannot participate in EIW is a huge disadvantage being that Fordham's reputation is cut-throat anyway. Hence, I personally see no reason in transferring besides prestige, and perhaps convenience. Nonetheless, its a personal decision in the end.


Fordham has a reputation as being cut-throat? Where'd that come from?


Cut-thorat being applicable as to 1L more so then a transfer. I heard from both an alum who I worked with for several years and the rising 2L.


Did they say what about it they thought was cut-throat/any stories? I'm curious.

blameitoncarr

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby blameitoncarr » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks for all the "concern" regarding my decision to attend Fordham. It makes sense for me to attend given my circumstances and I appreciate the fact that transferring to Fordham isn't the best option for a lot of people. I posted to inform those waiting that they have started to accept applicants. I am not here to debate the merits of my life choices. I'm too old for that shit.

lps5

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby lps5 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:35 am

.
Last edited by lps5 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MurdockLLP

Bronze
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 10:32 am

Re: Fordham Law 2016

Postby MurdockLLP » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:02 pm

M_Law wrote:
bretby wrote:
M_Law wrote:
lps5 wrote:
blameitoncarr wrote:
M_Law wrote:What are your plans for OCI since Fordham doesn't allow you to participate in EIW?



Shoehorn my way onto schedules. I can't bid but I can attend. I'll also pursue other avenues.


I'm gathering from TLS that Fordham isn't the best place to transfer to. Being top of the class at Brooklyn going through OCI would be better than going it alone at Fordham.


I completely agree. I am currently working with a rising 2L Fordham who did well but still does not like the school. The fact that you cannot participate in EIW is a huge disadvantage being that Fordham's reputation is cut-throat anyway. Hence, I personally see no reason in transferring besides prestige, and perhaps convenience. Nonetheless, its a personal decision in the end.


Fordham has a reputation as being cut-throat? Where'd that come from?


Cut-thorat being applicable as to 1L more so then a transfer. I heard from both an alum who I worked with for several years and the rising 2L.


Rising 2L at Fordham who did well. I, in no way, experienced any cut-throat actions by my peers. Guess it depends on one's 1L section and peers.



Return to “Transfers?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.